Stephen Gan

bluecandyboy

Reaction score
anything, everything about Stephen Gan, please? He is editor-in-chief of V Magazine, one of my favorite magazines, and co-founder of Visionaire. There was actually an article in a Vogue book, an interview with Isabel Toledo and him which I can no longer find. Photo: thesartorialist.com

Attachments

• Stephen-Gan.0.jpg
    Stephen-Gan.0.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
Finally a thread for him!
I've been curious about him and his work for quite a long time. I hope someone else can find more information about him! Thanks!

Stephen Gan, born in the Philippines and living in New York, is co-founder of Visionaire with James Kaliardos and Cecilia Dean. Gan began his career as a photographer, and soon found himself working as an editor-writer-photographer-designer at Details magazine. After four years at the magazine he left to start Visionaire, aged 25.

stieldville.com

Stephen Gan
(1966 - living) U.S.A.
gan1.jpg

Publisher

Co-creator of the fashion publications Visionaire, V and Vman, and creative director of Harper's Bazaar.
gan1a.jpg
Gan, along with Kaliardos and Cecilia Dean, founded Visionaire in 1991, using $7,000 he'd saved up to print 1,000 copies of his first issue. Details, where he'd been an editor-writer-photographer-designer, had just gone glossy and mainstream. "I was 25, and I'd been at Details for almost four years," Gan recalls. "I didn't really know what to do next. I couldn't see myself as an editor or as a writer or as a stylist or as an art director. All the jobs out there were - well, you did one thing."
The magazine is brimming with gorgeous men. Is Gan, who is openly gay, finally reaching out to his "family" fan base? We don't think he'd ever be that ghetto-oriented. Last year we talked about Tom Ford's nude ad for YSL fragrance he was running and how it appeared to shock the American advertising world. Gan remained unfazed, and clearly excited by its possibility. He said,
"Some people say, 'That's a gay ad,' and I ask, why's it a gay ad? It's a picture of a naked male model that's geared toward attracting male customers. I think the general public isn't so used to seeing overt male beauty, and that may scare some of them into thinking it's a gay image or a gay picture. I think that we should be able to appreciate beauty in whatever form it comes."​

http://andrejkoymasky.com/liv/fam/biog1/gan1.html

I :heart: Stephen
Halloween 2007

gemmaxz4.jpg

and in Hercules Magazine shot by Hedi Slimane

ganjpgpage1vt7.jpg

jdvisiontheblog.com

harrietcamilla, thank you so much!:flower:
His story is quite interesting.

he also worked for harper's bazaar for a time, i think after kate betts left.

bluecandyboy you beat me to this thread. i was just about to collect photos and works of gan's to post. :lol:

bluecandyboy you beat me to this thread. i was just about to collect photos and works of gan's to post. :lol:

gan is one my favorite fashion people alongside wintour and roitfeld and there isn't so much info about him, anyway, i will post pics and info about him as much as i can :heart:

What is his ethnicity? I guess he's Chinese though..

I know Stephen :heart: Dior Homme...I remember a photo spread in Harper's Bazaar I believe with him, Hedi Sliman, and Karl Lagerfeld...all of them in Dior Homme.

What is his ethnicity? I guess he's Chinese though..

His last name is Chinese so his family probably migrated to the Philippines. I admire his work for V, starting it out on such a whim and seeing the success and relevance it has now, but I really don't like his personal style. He always looks like he's trying too hard. :innocent:

he also worked for harper's bazaar for a time, i think after kate betts left.

he still works for bazaar as creative director...

from artpartner.com

Stephen Gan is cofounder and Editor in Chief of Visionaire. Founded in 1991, Visionaire is a high-end multi-format album of fashion and art produced in exclusive limited editions. Stephen Gan studied at Parsons School of Design and began his career as a photographer, then moved on to become a fashion editor of the avant-garde downtown magazine Details. He has art directed exhibition books for the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Louvre as well as photography books. In 1999, Gan launched V Magazine, New York's most avant garde magazine; a fashion and lifestyle magazine focused on a young, sophisticated, international audience.

In 2001, Gan joined Harper's Bazaar as Creative Director. Six months later, the Council of Fashion Designers of America presented him with the Creative Visionary Award.

Gan is also director of Dream Project, a creative powerhouse, with advertising clients such as Calvin Klein, Dior, Fendi, Shiseido, Olay Colour Europe, Tommy Hilfiger, D&G and Missoni.

I remember seeing him in a very small record shop on Bleecker St. in the Village back in '01. He was buying Destiny's Child CD's. :huh: I have some photos of him and Courtney Love.

Last year when he was at Paris Fashion Week with Victoria Beckham.

Credit:CelebUtopia.

Stephen Gan during amfAR's 2008 New York Gala at Cipriani, 42nd Street on January 31, 2008 in New York City.

15402811aolsen613212200825512PM.jpg

Wire Image

Stephen Gan and Mario Testino attend the Mario Testino opening for At Home Yvon Lambert Gallery in New York City on July 10, 2007.

15168855aolsen613212200825842PM.jpg

Wire Image

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->