Steven Burrows S/S 06 New York

CharlottefromCA

User Friendly
Reaction score
NEW YORK, September 10, 2005 – Thirty-seven years ago, give or take a season, Stephen Burrows was the man. He starred with Jaclyn Smith in his own fragrance ad. He had a boutique at Henri Bendel. And the likes of Grace Jones, Jerry Hall, and Pat Cleveland were gallivanting around Studio 54, no doubt, in his body-hugging designs. Cleveland is still gallivanting, this time in the front row of Burrows' show at the Robert Miller Gallery. "His clothes are like butterfly wings. I feel so free," said Cleveland, who is still keeping good company. Alongside her were Valentino's Carlos de Souza, members of the band Elefant, satirist Fran Lebowitz, Lily Atherton, curator Thelma Golden, and director Jamie Johnson, providing substantial evidence that Burrows is still, after some time out of the limelight, very much a relevant fashion presence today.

For his spring collection, Rio de Janeiro furnished the creative fodder for flirty dresses, some with keyhole necklines, wrapped or with godets in celadon, chalk white, and cerise red. Burrows has always been inspired by the way clothes move on the body, so it's no surprise that his fabric of choice is jersey. This time, his signature lettuce edging was reimagined as tendrils of seaweed, delicately cascading around necklines and down torsos. The mostly solid collection was livened up by zigzag stitches in red, as on a black minidress worn by Cameron Russell, and pastel Charlie Brown-style chevron inserts. Prints by RCA grad Ben Copperwheat of Curb Studio added spice, while crystal and bead embellishments gave the finale pieces flash. Even before the models started their parade, it was clear that Burrows has resumed his stride. His post-seventies business was as flat as day-old Champagne (despite the inspiration his work has given a younger generation of designers, such as Marc Jacobs), but no more. All of these years later, Burrows said that he is "more open to new things and outside influences on his work." And so are we.

– Laird Borrelli

From Style.com

00010m.jpg

00020m.jpg

00030m.jpg

00040m.jpg

00050m.jpg

00060m.jpg

I like some peices, but i dont like the lining of the fabric. I dunno it looks somewhat amateur and undeveloped. Hit and miss.

Nice feminine pieces. I like this collection.

And the silver heels...I :heart:

I love it :heart: :heart: :heart: it's very simple and feminine!!!!

thanks^_^

Not thrilled by all of it, but I like the two dresses Inguna is wearing. :smile:

his strength has always been fluidity and movement...
i think the pieces that have that still shine...
but many of the separates just don't have 'it'...

I love it, very feminine and I love the design of this top:

00090m.jpg

Egh, I don't like it at all. There are some nice pieces but overall it looks very cheap... and ugly...

What Maria is wearing in post #3 looks fine. The rest is horribly cheap. Geometry or ruffles, decide what you want but don't pick both if this is how you're going to use it.

oh no, i dont like this at all apart from one or two suits in the begining of the thread... actually, some pieces look very tacky :ninja:

I like this collection. With Yigal azrouel, Rodarte, Nicole Miller, and now Stephen Burrows, NY is getting off with a delightful start.

The designs are nothing ground-breaking, but I like it much more than the high-concept stuff. It must have struck a chord with me... I like the way he handles the hems, and the dresses are lovely. Strong commmercial viability, definitely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
terarcher1111
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->