Steven Burrows S/S 06 New York

Some of it looks as if he's still designing for 54 patrons...still quite disco-y :rolleyes:

And what exactly was the big deal about him returning again? I don't really see anything masterful and thrilling at all...nor have I ever.

Scott said:
Some of it looks as if he's still designing for 54 patrons...still quite disco-y :rolleyes:

And what exactly was the big deal about him returning again? .

:D good question.. and yes, it does feel very old

The pattern on the two first pics were kinda cool.... ...but the rest is terrible...... :yuk:

I think this collection perfectly shows how some pieces can be gorgeous and others just plain bad. Among that first category are some of the dresses and skirts (not all) and in the second the over-all rest. I could easily see this on the streets though, that's not the problem. One thing that is good is Maja Latinovic on the runway! :D

I don't know... I like some things here, but a lot seems pretty dated... it's just been done too much already.

He's extremely important to design in the sense of ethnicity, in the ongoing debate and tension that surrounds the idea of black designers appealing to a broad audience, a broad spectrum of people. For newer designers who feel the history is important, they mention him in the same breath as Patrick Kelly and...well...yeah. It must have been more than chic in the 70s for a tall blond Texan like Jerry Hall who could wear any designer to show up in Stephen Burrows...maybe what it would be like for Nicole Kidman to show up in Sean Jean were he a comparable designer. You get my drift. The clothes are a little time capsuel and not in the good way. Once he and his team change the aesthetic without changing the clothes and add a sense of freshness, maybe this is will be more than just a sentimental revival for him, if that is even the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bybeasilva
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->