Stuart Weitzman S/S 2020 : Serena Williams by Ethan James Green

vogue28

Mod Squad Team Leader
Staff member
Reaction score

DIGITAL EDITION OF UK VOGUE MAY 2020
VIA BRITISH VOGUE'S IPHONE APP

Kick me in my head, but I will never get why she appeared in the fashion scene at all. I have nothing against her race or professional life, but some choices are just silly - like Serena Williams in high fashion. It does NOT look good.

I was prepared to hate it but this is surprisingly good. Her muscles and body type gives it a warrior vibe.

Kick me in my head, but I will never get why she appeared in the fashion scene at all. I have nothing against her race or professional life, but some choices are just silly - like Serena Williams in high fashion. It does NOT look good.

I mean, why does any celebrity appear in the fashion scene? Because they are a big name and have access to designers.

That being said, I also expected to hate this, but it's simple and clean, she looks great here. I'm pretty into it.

Because Anna Wintour loves tennis and enjoy the power it gives her to validate some athletes (Ronaldo with Daria on the pages of Vogue back in the day). Serena, much like Roger were clever enough to capitalize on the passion Anna has for them.

But Serena looks good!

What a random choice. She never looks good for me. Some celebrities should stay away from fashion industry. I have nothing against different body types but this is fashion and I want to see things that are visually appealing. Unfortunately Serena is not. I am sorry.

More Campaign Images:

I can see how she might be exciting for someone who follows that sport, same as seeing Ariana Grande or anyone successful in their field appearing in a more unusual outlet (modeling clothes and shoes). I've never seen a full match of tennis, so I just see the image here, and... that last set above, jeez.. it makes modeling seem like a hard skill you can only acquire at university. Her legs look lovely in the second picture but even her face there and the entire pose in the last two pictures.. it's so carefully directed that I'm getting all the tension she's emitting.

Some non-models turn out to be naturals in front of the lens.. she's sadly not one of them. On the bright side, her eyebrows look great for once.

I was always a one for those Mario Testino campaigns with the likes of Natalia, Kate and Gisele. I then came around to the idea of Inez & Vinoodh photographing SW campaigns until those atrocious Kendall Jenner campaigns came to light. Ethan James Green is I&V's perfect replacement!

The black and white is obviously a Stuart Weitzman staple and EJG's style of photography lends a fresh perspective here, think the campaign feels fresh, is a departure from past campaigns and I like the border layout. Never usually a one for Serena Williams but I have no complaints here.

It’s not her. It’s these lessers who don’t know how to shoot and style her looking her best. There is so much potential to elevate an athletic women to full glamour.

She can wear all the billowy, dainty dresses and fragile heels she wants in her personal life. But in a professional shoot and campaign, these sort of dainty things never flatter her body type. And with someone like her, it’s always better to showcase her smile and laughter and a lightheartedness— and she does have a radiance about her, rather than attempt this serious poised posing, which absolutely doesn’t suit her and unfortunately turns her into a cartoon. I'd rather see someone with a powerful, athletic and fit built like Serena’s than someone like Paloma or Lizzo-- who’s identifiably obese but promoted as some supposed healthy alternative to a lean and fit body (…who are they kidding???).

Uhm, what's up with her lips? Definitely enhanced, either through Ps or filler.
I'm also a sucker for the more athletic and fit female form in fashion, think Marie-Agnès Gillot, but I can't warm to Serena Williams' print work. She's always trying too hard. So this campaign IMO is worse than the last one by I&V.

^^^ Looks like just subtle pouting and strategic glossing to me…

Perhaps the problem with Serena is whomever’s shooting her, is giving her too much control instead of controlling and directing the shoot. Looks at Herb Ritts’ images of athletes, even stars— and he never approaches his shoots with them the way that he would with his fashion work. These new photographers are so meek and one-dimensional, and this is the result. She really has so much potential, but she can never be shot like a fashion model.

^ I refuse to accept these last two shots are a product of the same imagination getting all these titles and world records. That's gotta be the photographer. It seems he actually enjoys the rock bottom of these 'Flight of Fancy' stories commissioned by American Vogue month after month (with the models doing their best 'Vogue' poses- dressed like Wintour plus a straw hat as they jump looking ~surprised~) and will try that off-duty on whoever lets him. I can almost see the scene "you see what Caroline Trentini is doing here? ok, like that".

i'm living for those legs! but she looks quite stiff and could've made more eye contact though and those mocassins are horrible. the first three shots are quite stunning if you ask me.

DFDC2829-50D0-4B3E-991D-E54635F6C105.png F83DF5E7-8241-4616-A347-E2BEE8F98C90.png 57F78D52-FA33-4AFF-BFB9-1EED19822721.png D55BCAF9-E67B-4088-939E-5218DE15B339.png 85B95E58-3C63-4E89-9A11-625C1EF95646.jpeg

stuartweitzman.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->