The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Did you learn to sow on your own, or did you take classes? My mother is always telling me I need to learn how to sow.

I had sowing classes in school for a year or so. All students in ground school has that in Denmark. Then I did a few pieces back in my early teens and just took up sowing again. I am still a beginner - I had a skilled friend help me with the bow dress and the denim skirt.

This skirt is super easy though and even though jersey is a bit hard to handle it is also very forgiving. I will send you the guide, if you want it :smile:

^I won't have room for a sewing machine (I do have one. A mint green one from the 60s, I think. Husqvarna.) until I move to a larger flat in a few years, but that is a very kind offer:smile:

I had mandatory sewing classes in school too. Made a handbag. It was not pretty:innocent:

Would be nice to learn how to hem a dress, though.

--
I have been invited to a wedding in July, and I have finally bought a dress and shoes. No bag. I have no idea what kind of bag would go with my shoes and dress. I like matching shoes/bags for weddings, but since my shoes are a nude shade I have no idea how that would work... Any suggestions would be appreciated:flower:

I feel like I have bought so much lately, and I have found quite a lot more I would like. Right now I am trying to resist two items. I found a second hand beige Hermes Cashmere sweater at a reasonable price(you know, considering..), and a pair unused Vivienne Westwood Pirate boots in the color I always fantasized about. Trying to resist getting everything... I am trying to focus on flaws. The Hermes sweater could be a deeper/warmer beige, and I have never tried on the Westwood boots. They could be terribly unflattering and uncomfortable for all I know...

pinterest

Attachments

• 318470_in_xl.jpg
    318470_in_xl.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 4
  • bbdac9c0ef522d3444636c2f2a81312b.jpg
    bbdac9c0ef522d3444636c2f2a81312b.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
^I won't have room for a sewing machine (I do have one. A mint green one from the 60s, I think. Husqvarna.) until I move to a larger flat in a few years, but that is a very kind offer:smile:

I had mandatory sewing classes in school too. Made a handbag. It was not pretty:innocent:

Would be nice to learn how to hem a dress, though.

--
I have been invited to a wedding in July, and I have finally bought a dress and shoes. No bag. I have no idea what kind of bag would go with my shoes and dress. I like matching shoes/bags for weddings, but since my shoes are a nude shade I have no idea how that would work... Any suggestions would be appreciated:flower:

I feel like I have bought so much lately, and I have found quite a lot more I would like. Right now I am trying to resist two items. I found a second hand beige Hermes Cashmere sweater at a reasonable price(you know, considering..), and a pair unused Vivienne Westwood Pirate boots in the color I always fantasized about. Trying to resist getting everything... I am trying to focus on flaws. The Hermes sweater could be a deeper/warmer beige, and I have never tried on the Westwood boots. They could be terribly unflattering and uncomfortable for all I know...

pinterest

I would like to have a place to keep mine permanently. ATM I will put it on the dining table when I want to sow.

Nice items you have bought. Where did you get the pumps? Still considering a pair in nude as well.

I think something golden for the handbag would be very nice. Maybe a box clutch.

^That's not a bad idea. Thank you:flower: There are some metallic details on the dress. I'll keep my eyes open for a golden box clutch. Will go nice with my gold jewelry too... Oh, how nice it is when the world makes sense again...:smile:

The pumps are from Net-a-Porter, but they also sell them via the outnet. They cost 100 euro both places. I'll tell you how they are in real life when I get them ( should be some time tomorrow).

^That's not a bad idea. Thank you:flower: There are some metallic details on the dress. I'll keep my eyes open for a golden box clutch. Will go nice with my gold jewelry too... Oh, how nice it is when the world makes sense again...:smile:

The pumps are from Net-a-Porter, but they also sell them via the outnet. They cost 100 euro both places. I'll tell you how they are in real life when I get them ( should be some time tomorrow).

Ah yes, love that feeling :wink:

Please do, they look lovely.

Ugh, I had a long post written and it's gone. :doh: The new forum should have an auto-save content option.

Wanted to suggest this Mango clutch I saw the other day to Eizhowa.

image1xl.jpg

The golden one, as Betina said, would look very beautiful as well.

And about my shopping - my last purchase was actualy this black COS skirt from the middle of March and I got some pieces gifted since then. I don't feel any need for shopping though, probably because in the last few weeks I was so occupated and now we have this awful weather, almost winted-like cold, windy and rainy it's getting depressing. I can count the days I was able to wear short sleeves in this year on the fingers of one hand.

Have to say I'm really glad I finally managed to get a Jil Sander perfume I was lusting over since last October. I cound't get it anywhere else that on some German website from where my bf ordered it for me.
I have a bit of obsession with perfumes, but hardly find the one for my taste. And looks like I have troubles finding oh-so-wanted things from Jil Sander in general. :D

Well, I just wrote a long-ish reply about how much I hate it when that happens, and now it is gone too:doh: If you bring up the auto-save thing in the "forum upgrade" thread I'll back you and we'll get the ball rolling:wink:

I actually already found a bag, but thank you for coming to my rescue so quickly:D I am negotiating a price right now. Since both the shoes and the dress are new and quite modern, I felt like getting a vintage bag. The bag I found is a 40s/50s gold mesh clutch, with peach lining and the original box (which shouldn't really matter, but it does:innocent:). I am not posting a picture anywhere until it is mine. I am not going to advertise for an item when there is only one available...

Yay on getting the perfume! I love discovering new perfumes.

Well, I just wrote a long-ish reply about how much I hate it when that happens, and now it is gone too:doh: If you bring up the auto-save thing in the "forum upgrade" thread I'll back you and we'll get the ball rolling:wink:

I actually already found a bag, but thank you for coming to my rescue so quickly:D I am negotiating a price right now. Since both the shoes and the dress are new and quite modern, I felt like getting a vintage bag. The bag I found is a 40s/50s gold mesh clutch, with peach lining and the original box (which shouldn't really matter, but it does:innocent:). I am not posting a picture anywhere until it is mine. I am not going to advertise for an item when there is only one available...

Yay on getting the perfume! I love discovering new perfumes.

Sounds like a great clutch and I really understand you in regards of not posting any pictures. How much is it, if I may ask? :wink:

----------

Jina: I feel you. Actually the past few weeks of not shopping has been easy since I feel like I have got everything I need. Congrats on the perfume! I am very picky as well and somewhat afraid of ending up as an old lady wearing too much perfume because she has been wearing the same one for decades..

-----------------

Me:
I am considering the snake printed pumps I was talking about, for my June item. Then I will still have 4 items left for my SS season which I may or may not use depending on what I will come across - I will want to maybe get a thrifted item or two during my vacation at my mom's and in Berlin, if something good shows up.

Planning wise I am already at fall though, since I have a lot of things that I will want to get. Including a dress and a skirt I saw in the lookbooks.

Thank you for your answers re: the trench coat :smile: I wore it today. It was cold and rainy, but I think I would have worn it even if it wasn't prone to rain - thank you for reassuring me! I've also noticed that the unrolled sleeves aren't even full length, so this could indeed be a perfect jacket.

^You are welcome:wink:

I received the nude pumps today Betina. I love them:blush: They are easy to walk in, the heel is not too high, and the color is nice. I have very pale legs, but the color of the shoes would also work for a person with a light(/medium?) tan. On my screen, the color in the picture above is the true color. Best of all, the pumps make my legs look very long^_^ They were a pain to put on the first time, but I think that was mainly because I had just had a long nap in a warm room (Heat and sleeping makes your feet temporarily larger). They are all leather, except for the outer sole, so they should break in nicely too:smile: Definitely worth the 100 euros I paid:D Came in a pretty box too. I have a thing for boxes at the moment, I think:P

I managed to get the clutch down from 82 USD to 50. I am attaching some pictures. It is a very small clutch, but I like how old purses are so tiny:blush: It only needs to fit a phone, credit card and lipstick.

etsy

Attachments

• il_570xN.429492849_7hcy.jpg
    il_570xN.429492849_7hcy.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2
  • il_570xN.429492885_my9a.jpg
    il_570xN.429492885_my9a.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1
@Barbaraa: nice to hear that it worked out :smile:

@Eizhowa: that bag is so cute! Congrats. Sounds really nice about the shoes as well. Would you be kind enough to send me the link for them? Maybe I should get those for my June item if I will not be able to find the snake printed black ones in my size. I am not quite sure what I should make of the fact that I have given up in advance. I really do not feel like having to hunt them down.

So I haven't written on this thread in a while, I didn't feel I had anything to add since I wasn't able to do any shopping for a few months while at college. But now that I'm home for the summer I'm finally in the process of working on my wardrobe and making changes. I had mentioned before that my parents offered to buy a nice handbag or pair of sunglasses for my birthday and I finally made my decision; I purchased a pair of Ray-Ban sunnies today. I thought it over for a bit and decided that I didn't have a need for a new purse but a nice pair of sunglasses would be good since my old one's broke after three years. Ta-Ta's advice about the sunglasses really helped me figure things out. I really love the classic shape and color of this pair, I wanted something that I wouldn't feel was dated in a few years. I mean, my mom had her first pair of Ray-Bans for 15 years before they finally broke!

Even though I hadn't been participating in the thread I was thinking things over and trying to sort things out on my own. I'm still looking for a few good skirts and a dress for the summer since I pretty much have no clothes that work for this season. A few nice tops would be great too. But I'm not going to worry too much about tops because I seem to have enough for right now. So far I haven't found skirts/dresses to my liking online or in the shops but I'm planning to go to the thrift shops later this week. Hopefully I'll have some luck there. I also found a pair of sandals from Nisolo (they look at bit like classic Huarache sandals) that I'd like to purchase soon. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

tumblr_mnhei6ab5S1qam9who1_500.jpg

my photo (sorry if it's shoddy quality)

Ecuador_Burnt_Sienna_Pair.downsized__73415.1361161084.1280.1280_1024x1024.jpg

kaightshop.com

Yoninah: good to see you back! Great sunglasses, and I like those sandals. I have no experience with that brand though...

Eizhowa: that is one perfect wedding outfit. Great haggling on the purse :smile:

As for me, I've been laying low a little, both in posting here and in shopping/thinking about clothes. I've been mostly wearing old jeans, so as to be able to pop in the garden any time it's not raining for 15 minutes :smile:
Today, true spring weather has returned though, and I feel it's a good day to go check out some summer sandals. Still on the look...
I also de-cluttered my bag collection. Though the word 'collection' might make it sound grander than it is - there's a pile of tote bags, a thrifted navy leather purse, a COS purse in off-white canvas with metallic fiber - I'll take a picture some day, it's my favorite bag. And then a thrifted woven straw bag, a thrifted woven wool/fabric tote bag, and my A.P.C. denim beach tote. I stuffed all the totes into the woven bag (since that is more of a winter bag) for easy access without them cluttering up the hallway, and took out old receipts etc. Found back my favorite lipstick, and a key I thought I'd lost :smile:

I've been thinking about getting a good leather grown-up bag, I've seen some that I really like (most everything Ellen Truijen makes), but I'm not sure I really miss such a bag now that I don't have one yet... it would be an autumn purchase, so I have some time to think it over anyway...

@Yoninah: welcome back! I really like that sunnies.

@Twistelette: I love my leather bags. My mulberry bayswater, my first "grown-up bag", is still probably my best purchase ever now, three years after I bought it. I love it. And it only looks better when it has been worn.

------

So funny thing happend. After I wrote my last post someone sent me a link for the pumps. At a shop based in the town I live in. Went and tried them on but did not buy them. Yet, at least.

I am really in doubt. I thought they were quite comfortable. A bit small around the pinky toes (not quite sure if that is the right term :wink:) but very comfy compared to the pair I am using at the moment. But pumps is just never as comfortable on my feet as heeled boots or sandals.

Also, although I DO use pumps I am wondering wether my money would be spent better elsewhere on something I will wear more, but it is silly since I do need them and possibly would wear pumps more often, if I had a more comfortable pair.

aha, yes, easier to not contemplate buying something without exposure to it :wink: when you went on your shopping 'fast', did you make a deal with yourself about how long you'd try it? if the end is in sight, you can maybe put off getting the pumps until then, and see if you still like them in a couple weeks/month/?

as for me, I bought sandals :smile: classic lunch-break purchase, I'd seen them in the shop before and liked them - I tried them on, they fit, they look good, they're mine!
they're just simple summer sandals, by japanese label Koos. I got them in a warm grey/taupe colour. I still plan on getting some more dressed up sandals, but I've found nothing I really like yet. no rush.

^ oops! Koos is a Dutch label after all. I thought as much, since the name is super-Dutch, but I got confused by all the Japanes-y pictures on heir pinterest. They are very Japan-inspired indeed, I dig.

aha, yes, easier to not contemplate buying something without exposure to it :wink: when you went on your shopping 'fast', did you make a deal with yourself about how long you'd try it? if the end is in sight, you can maybe put off getting the pumps until then, and see if you still like them in a couple weeks/month/?

as for me, I bought sandals :smile: classic lunch-break purchase, I'd seen them in the shop before and liked them - I tried them on, they fit, they look good, they're mine!
they're just simple summer sandals, by japanese label Koos. I got them in a warm grey/taupe colour. I still plan on getting some more dressed up sandals, but I've found nothing I really like yet. no rush.

The deal was a month/through May. And of course May is not done before friday, but I have not bought anything since the 10th of April. You get where this is going?

After I wrote my post I realized how much I really wanted them, so I went and got them and I am very happy about it. I am so glad that I was able to get them at a local store, and they were also marked down. So now I can cross those of the list.

I wish I would be as good at making snap decissions as you appear to be :wink: Like the sandals, japanese or not. Hope that a dressier pair will appear as well - in time. Sounds nice to not be in a rush. I love that feeling.

I wish I would be as good at making snap decissions as you appear to be :wink: Like the sandals, japanese or not. Hope that a dressier pair will appear as well - in time. Sounds nice to not be in a rush. I love that feeling.

I love that feeling as well ^_^
And trust me, there is months and months of mulling it over, before the snap decision is made. I've gotten better at the 'snap' part through the years, especially since I've been with my partner. Together, we are a Force Of Snap to be reckoned with :smile: We share a very similar taste, and know what we like and don't like. We bought our sofa in exactly five minutes - but before those five minutes, there had been months of looking at several options that were all just not exactly right, and thinking about what kind of sofa would be right for our living room.

^ Hilarious ... love the Force of Snap :wink: Congrats, betina--great shoes (and great someone with the link!).

@Twistelette: I am getting better but I would not call myself good excactly :P I am bad at making decissions in general, even small ones like wether I am hungry and what kind of chocolate I want.

I would love to have just a little bit of snappiness :P

@Ta-ta: Thx! And yes - thank you, whom ever you are. So happy about them! Wish I could wear them NOW but unfortunately I am not facing the world again until friday at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenn888
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->