The Business of Celebrities as Fashion Brand Ambassadors

Benn98

Reaction score
I'll posit this thread in here, but it can be moved if the mods feel it should be elsewhere....

Basically it will be about all about celebrity brand ambassadors. The pros an cons. How lucrative or ill-fitting they are for the brand, whether some brands should could do well with some celeb repping, and some without, etc etc.

Cannes: Marion Cotillard Dropped by Dior?

10:08 AM PDT 5/19/2017 by Rhonda Richford

The French fashion icon reportedly parted ways with the fashion house just before the film fest.

Eagle-eyed fashion watchers did a double take when longtime Dior spokesperson Marion Cotillard showed up to her Cannes opening night premiere of Ismael's Ghosts in a black Jean Paul Gaultier Couture dress.

The black lace-up gown, paired with gold platforms, was a bit of an understated look from the normally shining star — especially on such a big night — but it was said to have been a last minute replacement, as she was dismissed from the house in a shocking move earlier this week.

Sources say the Cotillard was unceremoniously dropped from the brand by new creative director Maria Grazia Chiuri.

Chiuri, who took the reins of the historic house last July, reportedly wants a newer, younger face for her reimagined brand. The Italian designer has made an effort to take the house in a new, more casual direction with her “We Should All Be Feminists” T-shirt partnership with Rihanna, her denim-dominated fall collection and her recent Western-themed cruise runway show in the wilds of Calabasas.

Cotillard is said to be upset by the abrupt dismissal after a nearly decadelong relationship with the house, where she has fronted 15 campaigns since 2008.

The surprise move is also said to be causing strife between luxury conglomerate Louis Vuitton Moet Hennesey chairman Bernard Arnault and Dior CEO Sydney Toledano. LVMH recently took control of the couture house in a $13 billion deal to simplify the ownership structure.

Reps for Dior did not respond to request for comment.

10:05 a.m. Monday, May 22: This post previously stated that Marion Cotillard wore Chanel. It's been updated to reflect that she wore a Jean Paul Gaultier Couture design instead.
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/cannes-marion-cotillard-dropped-by-dior-1005385

Kirsten Dunst in Variety:
And the FX drama “Feud” revisited the rivalry between Joan Crawford and Bette Davis as they struggle to age gracefully. “I was getting depressed watching ‘Feud,’” Dunst says. “I was like, ‘I’m an aging actress!’ But they also had a lot more leverage because they had contracts. So even though they were stuck, they could also bully the studio back. Now you work for nothing on independent films, and you rely on the fashion industry to support your artistic endeavors.”
Source: http://variety.com/2017/film/features/kirsten-dunst-sofia-coppola-beguiled-sex-cannes-film-festival-nicole-kidman-1202425358/

Op-Ed | How Celebrity Sells in China

By Tang Shuang
January 27, 2015 13:37

Luxury brands are casting a wide net to find Chinese celebrity ambassadors, but some must now realise that a great catch is not always the right match.

SHANGHAI, China – When Chanel tapped songbird Coco Lee to be its Asian brand ambassador fifteen years ago, it brought turbulence to the steady old guard of Hong Kong’s socialites and high-flyers. Some of these lifelong loyal matrons were so perturbed by the association with a local pop star that they revolted with their pocketbooks, eschewing Chanel at the shops for a time. The brand’s PR team immediately swooped in to placate them, but this episode remains one of the first ‘crises’ caused by the collaboration of a luxury brand and a Chinese celebrity.

A lot has changed since 2001. Today, being a luxury brand spokesperson is no longer the preserve of a few global Hollywood superstars. The world is more diverse and the centre of China’s luxury market has moved from Hong Kong to the mainland and, as it spread out to the country’s aspirational classes, ceased to be the dominion of the privileged few. In this now vast, complex and often self-contained Chinese market, using the visual language of local stars to convey a marketing message has become ever more important. But in spite of all this, the art of matchmaking luxury brands to local stars has not got any easier.

The reality is that China’s top celebrity resources are pretty scarce. Many young talents have become popular through soap operas and reality shows, therefore lacking the sophistication and individuality that would make a consumer base view them as the embodiment of elegance, glamour or original personal style. The cumulative effect of this talent scarcity is that a battle has been raging over the past few years between brands wanting to sign the same tiny cadre of top Chinese celebrities.

Tim Lim, the fashion director of Modern Media Group, which publishes Modern Weekly magazine, explains it best: "In China, the cooperation between stars and luxury brands is not really a search for the perfect combination, but a search for a reasonable solution.” One problem is that few celebrities in China will take on a collaboration because of personal ties with the designer, as they often do in the West. Another is that few luxury brands understand or consider all of the relevant factors before partnering with a Chinese celebrity.

A battle has been raging over the past few years between brands wanting to sign the same tiny cadre of top Chinese celebrities.

But the blame is not only with the luxury brands and the celebrities, according to Jude Robert, one of the founders of the Chinese luxury consulting and public relations firm RTG. He believes that another issue is that there is a less developed celebrity management industry in China – in particular, a lack of professional celebrity publicists.

"Chinese celebrities are not managed in a thoughtful way. Can you imagine Hollywood not having celebrity publicists? A seasoned celebrity publicist determines the kind of image the celebrity should have, what kind of activities to attend, what kind of collaboration offers to accept and what kind of publicity strategy should be developed,” he says.

“In China, this role is often assumed by brokerage firms, and their attention is often focused on short-term financial return, not the long-term brand value of the celebrity. This market fundamentally lacks the sound rules and setup [needed]. This has to change.”

Playing the Long Game at Chanel

In what is essentially a delicate matchmaking game, collaboration between luxury brands and celebrities in China should be part of a precise, comprehensive, long-term plan, and not just a sparkle that can be quickly extinguished. Despite — or perhaps because of — the reaction to its first foray with Coco Lee 15 years ago, Chanel's strategy of using Chinese celebrities is now considered to be one of the most successful. And much of that success can be attributed to a quality that is rare in the Chinese market — patience.

Never hasty to buy into any kind of partnership, Chanel carefully and steadily cultivates its ambassadors, year after year. Before signing Zhou Xun as the brand's ambassador for China in 2011, Chanel had been collaborating with the actress and singer for five years. Over this extended period of time, the brand was able to determine that Zhou Xun’s qualities and image were indeed consistent with Chanel's. And in order to make sure this would continue, as soon as the deal was sealed, Chanel started to effectively influence all aspects of her professional life, from public appearances to having a hand in choosing her outfits, make-up and hair styles.

Chanel didn't try to make Zhou Xun into a walking billboard for its products. Instead, it chose the singular Chanel style that fit her best. At the same time, Chanel understood how to take advantage of every hot topic that surrounded her, like when, last May, Zhou Xun announced her new love interest — and a wedding date two months later. In this incredibly short period of time, Chanel's PR team in China came up with a plan to take her to Paris to have a wedding dress custom made, and publish the photos on the Vogue China website. The result was reportedly a lift in the number of page views and page shares for the site — not to mention added retail sales for Chanel.

Backfiring at Gucci

Ambassadors and spokespersons bear the responsibility of promoting a brand's image and values. But choosing a top-tier celebrity is not always the best way to achieve that. Sometimes it can even blow up in a brand’s face. In 2012, Gucci signed the acclaimed actress Li Bingbing as spokesperson for Asia, and named her global spokesperson a year later. But this move did not convince many people in China, as Li Bingbing's fresh elegance was drastically different to the luxurious and sensual image of Gucci.

The ensuing video adverts and modelling collaborations did not bring acclaim to Gucci, but, on the contrary, vividly showed the disharmony between Li Bingbing and the brand. When she appeared at the Cannes Festival with the iconic Gucci smoky-eyes, make-up and dark, vampy evening gown, the verdict on Chinese social media was that “she looked like a drunken mess."

Of course, Gucci’s popularity in the Chinese market has been declining due to factors much greater than Li Bingbing’s involvement. But, ultimately, a local spokesperson with Li Bingbing’s fame did not mitigate Gucci’s decline, as the brand had hoped it would. And what came next rubbed salt in the brand’s wounds. Despite her contract with Gucci, Li Bingbing appeared at a Dior fashion show, leading market observers and consumers to question the integrity of her relationship with Gucci — and Gucci’s influence over its spokeswoman.

A Quick Lift at Louis Vuitton

Many luxury brands are already widely known in China and able to stress their core values, culture and image by using other marketing strategies. So the question remains, why do they still need a celebrity to promote their ‘spirit’? Sometimes, a celebrity is the most effective way for a brand to adjust to or show flexibility to a local market like China, at a particular time in its development. Engaging a celebrity to promote a particular category or item in a brand’s collection is one example of how this can work.

In 2012, Fan Bingbing became the spokesperson for Louis Vuitton’s Alma handbag line. The combination of one celebrity with one key product had an instant effect. The sales of the Alma skyrocketed, with Chinese consumers calling it "Bingbing's bag". Having a celebrity association here worked especially well because the Alma bag is a low-key style with an understated logo.

Janie Zhuang, Louis Vuitton’s former public relations manager for China, witnessed the entire process. "At the time, we were sure that the Louis Vuitton monogram was widely recognised in China, but we’d never really had a famous handbag model. Fan Bingbing popularized the Alma bag as her favourite choice," she says.

Since this marketing milestone, more and more brands began to recognise that promoting their brand image and boosting sales of a key product in China cannot always be achieved by the same campaign. Rather, that these aims often need to be viewed as parallel: complementary but different strategies. Another realisation was that choosing who to employ as a celebrity ambassador — and when to employ them — is often a case of weighing up the long-term and short-term priorities of the brand in that particular market.

The overnight effect created by a celebrity may help a luxury brand give birth to a single hot product, but it does not always help with the cultivation of awareness or brand loyalty. On the other hand, in a market as fervent, chaotic and still as unpredictable as China, a brand's judgment and adaptability are tested everywhere — including the realm of celebrity ambassadors. Getting it right means not only striking a balance, but knowing when to move the needle in a different direction.

Tang "TS" Shuang is co-owner of The Backroom concept shops in Beijing and Shanghai and a former editor of the Chinese edition of Numero magazine.

The views expressed in Op-Ed pieces are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of The Business of Fashion.
Source: https://www.businessoffashion.com/articles/opinion/op-ed-celebrity-sells-china

Thank you Benn! This is a great thread. I seriously can't take Dior right now. But I'm glad Marion can be more fun. It seems that she likes to experiment. I hope to see her in more Chanel.

Also, I really am curious about Diane Kruger and Chanel's fall-out.

Marion should be glad she got rid of Dior with Maria, there is nothing good coming out of that tenure I'm afraid. With Raf's designs she looked great just like Carice van Houten.
I'm curious how long Charlize will keep her spot.

Great thread Benn!

Had never read anything about chinese celebrities partnership with fashion brands. Fan Bingbing's relationship with Gucci is very interesting, are Chinese that conservative? Gucci under Frida was the wet dream of any middle-aged woman, anything but outlandish or risky.

Kirsten Dunst sounds like such a bitter person, for starters during the Golden Age of Hollywood an actress wouldn't have had a choice when it came to something like what Sofia asked her to do, she should be thankful that she gets any jobs with that attitude.

What other celebs do we know have "contracts" with big brands?

Charlize Theron also only wears Dior to the big events and she gets custom pieces.

I'm not sure what's going on with Beyonce and Gucci but she's wearing them like crazy lately, especially on her Instagram.

Obviously Michelle Williams, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Jennifer Conelly are part of the Louis Vuitton team because of Nicholas Ghesquiere.
Sophie Turner from Game of Thrones clearly got a contract with LV since that's all she wears now and attends all the shows.

I'm pretty surprised some celebs like Julianne Moore have balanced a couple big brands pretty evenly, she wears Tom Ford, Louis Vuitton, Chanel and Givenchy pretty evenly.

Cate Blanchett seems to be in a relationship with Armani since she's the face of their perfume but mostly she wears the brand at the Oscars. Outside of that she also balances lots of brands.

Nicole Kidman doesn't have any specific ties does she?

I'm not too sure what happened between Diane and Karl, but Karl is really like a butterfly. The one moment he's fangirling the likes of Diane or Alice Dellal etc hard, then it's Cara and Kendall, then it's Kristen. I honesty lose track of his muses. But somehow most of them monetise from that connection, which I suppose is cool. I don't actually recall Diane fronting any of Chanel or Fendi's fashion campaigns, Chanel beauty campaigns yes. Maybe the latter contract ended, and she saw no need to continue with Karl?

Watching Maria's Dior documentary, once could tell Charlize was charming Arnault super hard at a dinner held in her honour. So I'm sure her position is safe. I don't think she wore much under Raf. Like Marion, she was more of a Galliano woman. Marion was the only spokesperson to do Raf's designs justice. Raf's true Dior spokeswomen were Carice Van Houten and Leelee Sobieski, but because they are not as profitable, they weren't officiated.

I think celebrity partnerships can be very iconic if it seems organic and believeable. Audrey Hepburn x Givenchy for instance, immediately comes to mind. If the designer is powerful enough, some of his favourites can be hired. Jennifer Connelly moved with Nicolas from Balenciaga to LV. But not Kristen Stewart, who I don't seem to recall wearing any of Wang's Balenciaga designs. What interest me is women like Jennifer Lawrence, who's appointment seemed to have been made by a suit - meaning her style doesn't correspond with the ethos of the brand she reps, but she must be killing it in terms of marketing. I think she's one of the prime examples where the style disconnect is very apparent. The announcement of Paris Jackson for Calvin Klein is just as weird. It makes no sense at all, other than trying to cash in on her hype.

I think since Prada is going so heavily after that dollars, maybe it's time to start a partnership. It doesn't need to be someone crudely commercial (because Miuccia is all about art, remember), but how about Tilda Swinton?

Celebrity spokespersons in China is a big deal and it was perhaps another way to localise everything in a sense. To update that lineup above, Xhang Ziyi is one of Armani's loyal Asian muses, the new ones are Faye Wong for Céline, and Li Yuchun (Chris Lee) seemed to have moved from Givenchy to Gucci. There's currently a media sh*tstorm brewing over Angelababy being appointed as China's Dior spokesperson.

Interesting that you brought up Tilda Swinton, Benn98. I think it should be mentioned that even though it appears there is no official contract between her and Haider Ackermann, she wears his designs religiously. She also wears quite a lot of Chanel. The rest of the designers she sports seem to be fewer and worn far between.

Charlize Theron also only wears Dior to the big events and she gets custom pieces.

There's a difference between beauty contracts and fashion contracts.
Charlize Theron like Cate Blanchett have beauty contracts. That means that they have some types of events where they are required to wear the brand and sometimes have to attend events related to the brand. But, they don't have to wear the brand everytime.
In their case, they have build a relationship with Mr Arnault (for Charlize) and with the Armani family (Cate).

I'm not sure what's going on with Beyonce and Gucci but she's wearing them like crazy lately, especially on her Instagram.
I think that Beyonce just buy a lot of Gucci and has a collaboration with the brand but she is not under contract. She used to be the face of Armani perfume back in the day and wore Armani everytime.

I'm pretty surprised some celebs like Julianne Moore have balanced a couple big brands pretty evenly, she wears Tom Ford, Louis Vuitton, Chanel and Givenchy pretty evenly.
Julianne Moore has that l'Oreal and a Chopard contract. That's maybe enough for her in terms of incomes. She seems to only wear the designer she has a relashionship with: Karl, Riccardo, Nicolas & Tom. She must have a lot of gift from those house but not money.

Kidman only has some beauty and an Airline contract nowadays but besides her long Chanel contract and the Jimmy Choo one, i don't think she had any other fashion thing.

Obviously Michelle Williams, Charlotte Gainsbourg and Jennifer Conelly are part of the Louis Vuitton team because of Nicholas Ghesquiere.
Sophie Turner from Game of Thrones clearly got a contract with LV since that's all she wears now and attends all the shows.

Cate Blanchett seems to be in a relationship with Armani since she's the face of their perfume but mostly she wears the brand at the Oscars. Outside of that she also balances lots of brands.

Charlotte Gainsbourg seems to have dissociated herself from Louis Vuitton and has now defected to Anthony Vaccarello's Saint Laurent, a designer she started to wear just before Nicolas Ghesquiere was hired at Vuitton. Maybe they didn't like that she was wearing too much Anthony Vaccarello especially after he was hired at Saint Laurent, a rival brand.

I've also noticed that Sofia Coppola slowly distanced herself from Louis Vuitton, too. At the beginning of Ghesquiere's tenure, she attended a show or two and even attended some Louis Vuitton sponsored events despite Jacobs' departure, but now she wears mostly Marc Jacobs, Sonia Rykiel, Valentino and Chanel. Do they even distribute her bags any more?

Michelle Williams was hired when Marc Jacobs was still at Louis Vuitton which makes far more sense than Michelle Williams for Ghesquiere's Vuitton.

Unfortunately, we hardly ever see Julianne in Tom Ford any more nowadays. Not one look in Cannes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not an actual contract I guess but she wears McQueen and Armani more than any other brand.

When L'Wren Scott was still alive she styled Nicole often in her own designs.

Stacy Martin / Miu Miu

Not sure how long is her fragrance contract with Miu Miu but I feels like it's a very longterm one..

Inès de la Fressange / Roger Vivier

I think this is the perfect definition of what a brand ambassador is.

Nicole also has a long standing global contract with Omega! she just wore an omega watch at cannes and for years there have been billboards from Shanghai to Sydney. I could see her doing some fresh fashion campaigns for the right price as she's having such a big year, and she's now officially the wealthiest entertainer in Australia and among our wealthiest self made women. Also, i saw there's now a nicole kidman instagram with the verification symbol but no posts? could something be in the works?

Also thank you Benn98 for that article on celebrity endorsements in China, it's really insightful! Especially the way stars are managed by firms for short term gain, i've often noticed in China sometimes it's the most non prestigious and seemingly random products being endorsed by the biggest stars.

Stacy Martin / Miu Miu

I'd say both Prada and Miu Miu.

Also Mia Goth, Mia Wasikowska, Dane DeHaan and Ansel Elgort for Prada and previously Lea Seydoux before she got a contract with LV.

I think there's still Chloe Grace Moretz for Coach. Also Selena Gomez moved from LV to Coach.

Why Everybody—Including the World’s Biggest Brands—Wanted Selena Gomez in 2016

The pop star managed to take 14 weeks away from the spotlight and come out on the other side with yet another high-profile sponsorship gig. How does she engender this kind of love?
by

By Kenzie Bryant
December 20, 2016 6:04 pm

One week ago, a rumor rumbled on the celebrity-meets-fashion fault line: Selena Gomez, singer and ex-Disney star, had signed a deal with Coach, American luxury leather goods company. The rumor, which Page Six initially reported, became fact five days later when Coach made its new relationship status with Gomez official via a press release. The brand did not disclose the terms of the agreement, such as the star’s paycheck—which had been rumored to be $10 million—or its duration. It did discuss the innovative deal Gomez had managed to strike: she’ll be collaborating on a “special design project,” helping the brand launch a partnership with the female-empowerment organization Step Up, and will be the face of Coach’s fall campaign. At the age of 24, Selena Gomez is already tailoring her multi-million-dollar endorsement deals to fit her own agenda. How did she manage this?

“She’s been able to stay relatively drama-free, and brand safety is always an important thing when you’re looking at these types of brand ambassador deals,” Krishna Subramanian, a co-founder of Captiv8 (a company that connects brands to digital influencers), told Vanity Fair on a recent phone call. He added that her audience size and long-term commitment to brands are what make her so incredibly attractive to them. “It’s one of these ideal situations where her audience realizes if she's endorsing something, it's done at a deep level. Of course every [brand] would want that. That's the holy grail.”

Coach is the most recent in a string of enormous sponsorship deals Gomez entered in 2016. (She declined to comment on this story.) Gomez is now associated with Coca-Cola, Verizon, Louis Vuitton, and Pantene, among others. These brands span distinct sectors and are each at the top of their game; what Gomez brings, even after she took off a quarter of this year, is one part social-media ascendency, one part offline success, one part post-Disney squeaky-clean image (a commitment to the fans who have remained faithful all these years, of which brands want a part), and one part high-fashion credits.

Insta-power

You may have heard about the two superlatives Gomez achieved on Instagram this year: first, at 105 million followers, she’s the most followed person on the platform. (For comparison, her friend Taylor Swift has 94.8 million followers and Rihanna has 47 million.) And second, she has the most liked picture of 2016. Posted on behalf of Coca-Cola, the photo is a simple shot of her holding a bottle of Coke with the lyrics to a song of hers on it. The photo received 6 million likes, despite being an ad.

In September, Vanity Fair reported that one of her posts is said to be “worth” around $550,000, and sources revealed that the star definitely has professional photographers shooting some of her content. This doesn’t seem to detract from the image of authenticity she’s projecting to her target demographic. It might help that, as Gomez told The Hollywood Reporter in July, she doesn’t have a social-media consultant.

Brands and her core followers are clearly buying into what Gomez is putting out. Beyond just having the most, she has an appealing audience of potential customers: millennial women. Eighteen- to 20-year-olds make up the highest percentage of her followers—about 22 percent of them, according to data pulled by Captiv8. Around half of her followers are female and between the ages 18 and 35. For brands like Coach, Louis Vuitton, and Pantene, this is the sweetest spot.

Consistently committed

Gomez’s sponsors have not always been the crème de la crème of globally recognized brands, but they were in line with her image as the star of Disney Channel’s The Wizards of Waverly Place. Between 2009 and 2014, she endorsed everything from Sears and Borden Milk (appearing in print and television ads for both) to Adidas Neo, her first major sponsorship deal to come when she began her career as a pop star in earnest. She also had the requisite eponymous lines: fragrances (which are still available), nail polish, and clothing.

Though she’s managed to sharpen the prestige of her deals, there’s a common thread in all of them: long-term commitment (as in more than a year). Unlike Kim Kardashian West and her sisters or any number of “influencers” on down the line, Gomez rarely enters into one-off deals, or a couple of posts and a single payday. She’s in it for the long haul, and most brands prefer a steady investment.

Becoming high-fashion famous

To go from Kmart to Coach took a little re-imaging, and a large piece of that had to do with her stylist Kate Young. Young made a push to put Gomez in high-fashion clothes, name-checking Valentino, Saint Laurent, Givenchy, and of-the-moment brand Monse in interviews. The intent seemed to balance her perpetual baby face with a classic adult aesthetic and grow her Disney Channel roots into her pop-star present. It worked. After Gomez attended the Met Gala with Louis Vuitton’s creative director, Nicolas Ghesquière, in May, the brand announced that she would be its face. She embraced the high-fashion community, and they embraced her—and her 105 million Instagram followers—right back.

Absence-proof—to a certain extent

Just as Gomez’s fashion tastes were changing, so was her social-media approach. It was only after she slowed her posting cadence that she hit her record-breaking highs. Captiv8’s data on the account shows that she significantly reduced the number of photos she shared on Instagram per day between 2014 and 2015. In 2016, however, everything changed.

On August 30, she announced that she would taking “some time off” to be “proactive” about dealing with the “side effects of lupus” in a statement released to People. She never said how long her time off would last, but she remained off of Instagram for 14 weeks. Just prior to ghosting this and other platforms, she had allegedly gotten into a public word scuffle on Instagram with her ex-boyfriend Justin Bieber. This—this—was her biggest recent controversy, and a perfect microcosm of how she remains a fairly safe bet for brands even when she’s absent from the lives of the customers they hope to reach.

When Gomez returned to the Instagram on November 25, she posted a photo with her fans, captioned, “I have a lot to be thankful for this year. My year has been the hardest yet most rewarding one yet. I've finally fought the fight of not ‘being enough.’” It got 3.8 million likes, par for the course on her account. Her next photo, posted this weekend, is of the singer holding a Coach bag personalized with her initials. It currently has 3.5 million likes. It’s as if she never left, and brands, fans, and followers alike adore her for it.

Source: http://www.vanityfair.com/style/2016/12/selena-gomez-coach-coca-cola-verizon-endorsement-2016

Nicole also has a long standing global contract with Omega! she just wore an omega watch at cannes and for years there have been billboards from Shanghai to Sydney.

Only a pleasure! :flower: I think in that sense Nicole is quite loyal and takes the partnerships very serious. Charlize Theron on the other hand once got dragged to court and had to fork out $20 million because she wore a Dior watch instead of a Raymond Weil one. :lol: So sometimes these deals can backfire!

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/lostinshowbiz/2008/oct/14/celebrity

Intersting article from The Fashion Law!!

What are Brands Really Paying Ambassadors to Do?
May 25, 2017 TFL

Whether it is latest it-girl or an Oscar-nominated actress, fashion brands love to have famous faces represent them. While posing for ad campaigns may be the most obvious iteration of these ambassadorships, a lot more goes into these contracts than meets the eye. The question is: What do these partnerships entail and what exactly are brands paying for when they enlist these stars to represent them (i.e. what – exactly – are brands expecting of their stars)?

Ambassador duties typically include appearances in a brand’s ad campaigns. They may also require the individual to participate in the brand’s major events, or show off the brand’s wares at major appearances. Consider Paris-based brand Louis Vuitton’s roster of stars, which includes actresses Léa Seydoux, Alicia Vikander, Jennifer Connelly, Michelle Williams, and Doona Bae, among others. Alicia Vikander, for one, joined the ranks of Louis Vuitton’s famous faces in the summer of 2015.

Since then, the Swedish Oscar-winner has graced numerous campaigns for the brand, including its 2017 Jeff Koons collab ad, 2017 Cruise campaign, Spring/Summer 2016 handbag ad, Fall/Winter 2015 ‘Spirit of Travel’ campaign, and Fall/Winter 2015 ‘Series 3’ campaign, among others. But her contractual obligations do not end there: She has also attended an array of Louis Vuitton’s runway shows, ranging from its recent sojourns to Rio for Cruise 2017 and Palm Springs for Cruise 2016 to several its regular-season shows in Paris.

On the red carpet, Vikander has routinely worn Louis Vuitton, potentially signaling yet another facet of the parties’ deal. For her debut red carpet season in 2016, during the culmination of which she won the Oscar for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for her performance in The Danish Girl, she almost exclusively wore Louis Vuitton. (She wore a Mary Katrantzou dress to the 2016 Critics' Choice Awards, for instance.)

Such red carpet wardrobe choices were almost certainly stipulated (or at the very least, spoken to) in her contract. Each appearance is, after all, an opportunity for Vikander (and other ambassadors) to bring her ad campaign appearances to life and garner highly-coveted press for the brand that dressed her.

Industry-wide, it is understood that being the face of a given brand is a role that translates onto the red carpet, as well. As noted by the New York Times’ Vanessa Friedman last year in connection with brands’ dressing of A-listers, “There is no doubt that Mesdames Williams, Connelly and Vikander, all of whom have appeared in Vuitton ad campaigns and dutifully show up at the ready-to-wear collections, have been paid by the brand for their work and their appearances.”

Vogue similarly noted that Vikander is, in fact, one of Vuitton’s “ambassadors on the red carpet.”

The Murkier Elements

The opaquer element of this type of partnership concerns such women’s (or men’s, depending on the brand) work-related wardrobe – aka their looks for press tours, movie premieres, etc. – and even their actress-off-duty style.

Looking back to Vikander, the vast majority of her non-award show red carpet looks have been derived from Louis Vuitton’s runway. This further suggests that there is language in her contract regarding wearing garments from the house for promotional events for her projects, including “The Danish Girl,” the “Bourne” franchise, and “Man from U.N.C.L.E.”

However, as evidenced by the Celine, Rodarte, Proenza Schouler, and Alex Eagle dresses, among others, that she has also worn to official movie events since she signed on with Louis Vuitton, whatever the terms of their arrangement, they do not appear to be exclusive. Interestingly, Vikander’s handbags during this time period have almost always – if not always – come from Louis Vuitton, as evidenced by a huge slew of red carpet photos.

But the red carpet is not the only place where stars endorse brands. Ms. Vikander is frequently spotted toting Louis Vuitton bags during her days off, as indicated by countless paparazzi shots. Given the rise of social media – whether it be stars’ own accounts or those dedicated to celebrities’ street style – promotional efforts have a much wider reach than ever before. Ads are no longer come in the form of commercials and magazines alone.

Looking beyond Louis Vuitton for a moment consider Selena Gomez, who, to be fair was one of the brand’s “it” girls for a season or two. Since then, however, the singer has signed on with Coach. The American brand announced in late 2016 that it had enlisted Gomez to collaborate with the brand. Thus far, this has largely resulted in priceless product placement for the brand: Many times that Gomez has stepped out recently, she has been toting a Coach bag, resulting in no shortage of paparazzi shots that are, in themselves, alternative ad campaigns for the brand.

Such publicity was certainly taken into account when the brand selected Gomez for a “collaboration,” regardless of whether there is language governing such seemingly off-duty and or unconventional-turned-extremely commonplace modern day promotional activities.

Magazine covers are also important advertising opportunities for brands. Both Vikander and fellow Vuitton ambassador Michelle Williams’ have most frequently – although not exclusively – been styled in Louis Vuitton in recent years. Vikander graced the January 2016 cover of American Vogue in a Louis Vuitton frock; the same is true for L'Officiel Milan’s April 2016 cover, Marie Claire France’s September 2016 cover, Vanity Fair’s September 2016 cover, Elle Ukraine’s March 2016 cover, Marie Claire Malaysia’s September 2016 cover, and DuJour’s Winter 2015 cover, among others.

She fronted Harper’s Bazaar UK’s January 2016 cover, however, among several others, clad in garments from non-Vuitton brands. So, what gives?

Not surprisingly, the mentality behind such styling choices is not uniform or crystal clear. What we do know is this: Most brand ambassadors’ contracts do not dictate what brands they can and cannot wear on magazine covers and corresponding editorials. A brand’s stars often end up in their wares on magazine covers regardless, though, for a couple key reasons. Primarily, magazine editors aim to please big-name advertisers (such as Louis Vuitton) – Surprise! As a result, use the brand-specific cover star as an opportunity to feature its garments and accessories on the cover and in related editorial content.

Second, brands have control over what garment and accessory samples they loan to magazines for covers and editorials. As a result – and sticking with the Louis Vuitton example – a brand that is not Louis Vuitton may decline a magazine’s sample request for a cover and/or editorial if the brand believes the actress or model does not fit its image. So, Balmain (hypothetically) may decline to loan garments to Elle Magazine (again, hypothetically) for an Alicia Vikander cover because the actress is so heavily associated with the Louis Vuitton brand.

In the same vein, Louis Vuitton may decline to loan garments to Marie Claire (another hypothetical) for a cover featuring an actress other than its handful of ambassadors for the exact same reason. This is likely why most recent magazine covers featuring Michelle Williams and Jennifer Connelly, for instance, feature Louis Vuitton garments, as well. The same can be said for the styling of Natalie Portman and Marion Cotillard in Dior or why pre-Louis Vuitton Lea Sedoux frequently wore Prada in magazines (she was the face of the Prada’s Candy fragrance for years).

The PR of it All

Much like how brands stage couture collection shows – or even ready-to-wear shows, for that matter – in order to drum up press and awareness amongst consumers, brands tap ambassadors for the same reason. It is just good marketing.

Returning to Ms. Vikander, Louis Vuitton signed her to represent its brand just as buzz began building around her role in “The Danish Girl.” In aligning itself with the actress, Louis Vuitton could ensure that her red carpet appearances – which are essentially just an alternative form of a billboard – would serve as valuable marketing opportunities. But as indicated by the countless press tour photo opps and magazine covers featuring Vikander in Vuitton, such ambassadorships provide a whole host of opportunities to capitalize on her star power and advertise the brand – even if it these means are not legally set out in the parties’ contracts.

Still yet, look beyond the magazine covers to spot further public relations benefits of employing a celebrity ambassador (i.e. beyond those a brand actively seeks when entering into a contractual agreement with a celebrity). Many of the corresponding articles and cover stories featuring an ambassador tend to make specific mention of the brand the star represents.

For instance, as noted by Tom Lamont in the intro accompanying the interview for British Vogue’s August 2016 issue – for which Vikander wore Vuitton – “With a Louis Vuitton handbag in her front basket and a phone in her right hand, [Vikander] half-watches the road, while reading a 3G map.” This frequent association between an of-the-moment celebrity and a brand serves to continually keep the brand in the reader’s mind.

From contractually obligated ad campaigns to “organic” brand shoutouts in articles featuring the ambassador, there are countless benefits to hiring a celeb to be the face of a brand. All – not just the most obvious – of which are almost certainly considered when brands write checks for secure big-name stars.

(Editing by Nicole Malick).

Source: http://www.thefashionlaw.com/home/what-are-brands-really-paying-ambassadors-to-do

Is Alicia still representing LV? She wasn't at The Met Gala with Nicholas and the other ambassadors. Seems like a big event to miss.

I actually think she is. At the time of the MET gala, she was busy working on the new Lara Croft reboot in South Africa. LV sent M&M and Jeff Koons over there to shoot the campaign for that line.

Would you call Caroline de Maigret a celebrity ambassador for Chanel? It is not as if she really 'models,' except for Chanel and the odd show, plus she wears Chanel to every event.

I think Doona Bae is an LV ambassador as well as she always seems to wear it. Nicolas loves his Asian girls.

Would you call Caroline de Maigret a celebrity ambassador for Chanel? It is not as if she really 'models,' except for Chanel and the odd show, plus she wears Chanel to every event.

I think Doona Bae is an LV ambassador as well as she always seems to wear it. Nicolas loves his Asian girls.

Yeah, she's more of a muse, isn't she? Difference being muses often don't get paid in cash, clothing certainly.

Nicolas have one in each of the three major markets for Vuitton. Doona fits his aesthetic like a glove and she's more believable than the other two, shame about Sense8 getting cancelled.

Also, there's Jared Leto and Tom Hiddleston for Gucci.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abbgg
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->