The Business of Magazines

Some Fall Out of Vogue. She Walked. Gabriella Karefa-Johnson on surviving Ye, quitting Condé Nast and speaking her mind.
When Gabriella Karefa-Johnson, the fashion editor-personality who became famous as the first Black woman to style a Vogue cover (in 2021) and even more famous after she got into a social media brouhaha with Kanye West, was interviewing for her first big fashion job at Vogue, she ended up, not surprisingly, in front of Anna Wintour.
Ms. Wintour asked Ms. Karefa-Johnson where she wanted to be in 10 years. Ms. Karefa-Johnson answered — as Ms. Wintour once had, when asked a similar question — editor in chief of Vogue.
Almost exactly a decade later, Ms. Karefa-Johnson doesn’t necessarily want that any more.
Last October, after three years as global contributing editor at large, years in which she styled covers that featured Vice President Kamala Harris, the poet Amanda Gorman and Margot Robbie (as “Barbie”), among others, she decided to leave what had once been her dream job. The Israel-Hamas war had begun, and she had become a vocal presence on Instagram protesting what she referred to as the “genocide” in Gaza, despite the aversion of Condé Nast, Vogue’s parent company, (and, indeed, that of most of the fashion establishment) to any public pronouncements on the conflict.
“I resigned as kind of a material action of solidarity and because it was just time for me to move on,” Ms. Karefa-Johnson, 32, said recently. “Everything I said was attached to the institutions I worked for. Not only was that not fair, it was also distracting.”

She had also realized, she said, that she didn’t want to be encumbered by the expectations of perhaps the ultimate establishment publication.
“There’s so many things that these institutions represent that I’m not,” she said. “It works both ways.”

The stylist in the Vogue closet in June 2016, when she was an assistant fashion editor.
It was the final act in a three-year evolution in which Ms. Karefa-Johnson had gone, somewhat unwittingly, from serving a brand to becoming a brand. Now she is trying to figure out what it means to be, as her best friend, Thomas Gebremedhin, the executive editor of Doubleday, said, “untethered” from her former employer.
“I think people are like, ‘What are you doing?’” Ms. Karefa-Johnson said. “‘Are we working together? Are we not working together? Are you toxic or not?’”

She has effectively become a test case for what it means to be a voice of fashion in a post-magazine world — a world where the power that was once concentrated in the hands of a few glossy publications is increasingly lodged in the feeds of charismatic individuals, where fashion itself has become part of pop culture, and where personal values are increasingly infiltrating the professional sphere.
But two things tend to happen when an umbilical cord is cut. Either you soar ever upward or you disappear into the chaotic maw of space.

Act I: The Serena Williams Effect​

The story of Ms. Karefa-Johnson’s emergence as a public figure is essentially a morality play involving unintended consequences, social-justice reckoning and this peculiar social media moment.
“Basically, when I was an assistant, I would go on these shoots with celebrities and famous models, and we would become friends because I was normal and would treat them like normal people,” Ms. Karefa-Johnson said. She was talking about women like Bella and Gigi Hadid and Paloma Elsesser, who are part of her inner circle. “They would follow me on Instagram,” she said, and when she posted something they liked, they would repost it to their millions of followers.
As she spoke, she was wearing a Public Enemy “Fear of a Black Planet” T-shirt, jeans and Chanel ballet flats and was curled up on the sofa in the living room of the four-story brownstone in the Bedford-Stuyvesant section of Brooklyn that she shares with her twin sister, a rapper. She also has an older brother, who is in cybersecurity, and two older sisters. One is a lawyer who works for a social-justice nonprofit in California, where they all grew up, and one is in sports marketing.
Her family is very important to her, she said, especially her maternal grandparents. Her grandmother was the first Black woman to graduate from Yale Divinity School; her grandfather, a doctor, was the first foreign minister of Sierra Leone after it achieved independence from Britain and became a republic. They helped raise her and her siblings after her father, an urban planner, died when she was 7 months old. She pointed to her aunt, who was a model in Europe in the 1960s and ’70s, as the reason she first got interested in fashion.

On her mantel, a photo of her grandmother at a World Council of Churches convention abuts a very old Polaroid of Linda Evangelista next to a hand-scribbled note from Miuccia Prada. The house, which is full of auction finds and includes a bedroom that Ms. Karefa-Johnson had transformed into a closet with a full wall of shoes, smelled like quiche, which she had just baked. (She is, Mr. Gebremedhin said, especially good at nachos.)

In 2020, just before Covid-19 brought the world to a standstill, Ms. Karefa-Johnson posted a short video on Instagram Stories (she tends to keep her politics to Stories and her fashion work to regular posts) responding to reactions she had seen to the murder of Ahmaud Arbery. She later summed up her response as: “Health care, education, criminalization of poverty, food deserts — we live in a world that systemically murders Black people daily. So when I see you talk about being shocked by this, it hurts me and upsets me because this shouldn’t be a revelation.” Serena Williams, whom Ms. Karefa-Johnson had styled for her Stuart Weitzman ads, reposted it.
Until then, Ms. Karefa-Johnson’s guiding principle, especially regarding the fashion world, had been “Just keep my head down and power through and withstand this otherness that I felt pretty constantly and that was overwhelming.”

At Vogue, that approach had taken her from assisting Hamish Bowles, an editor at large, to working with Tonne Goodman, then fashion director, and on to becoming the fashion editor of Garage magazine. Even if she felt like an anomaly in a mostly white world as a 5-foot-10, non-sample-size Black woman who was operating, she said, “in a way that nobody else did.”
In that glossy world, “there was really strategic value in keeping your cards close to your chest and not talking too much,” she said. And she loved to talk.
It was when she started talking online, however, that she realized people were listening, including people who had no interest in fashion. She realized, she said, that “I should take advantage of people listening to try and create the world I hope we can have.”

Act II: Talk and Consequences​

That is why, when Garage magazine closed and Vogue started wooing her to return, she decided it would be on her terms.
“Magazines were realizing that if they were invested in diversity and inclusion, they needed to actually have people of color working for them,” she said.

Ms. Karefa-Johnson has her own theory of tokenism. She grew up in predominantly white spaces, including her California neighborhood; the Thacher School, a boarding school in Ojai, Calif.; and Barnard College in Manhattan. She realized that “everybody had a leg up,” she said. “Maybe it’s nepotism, maybe it’s your dad playing golf with the C.E.O. of LVMH. If diversity and inclusion is my leg up, you work what you have going for you.”
At the same time, she went on, “I was contending with these feelings of like, ‘OK, I’m trying to get to the top and be respected in an industry full of people whose values don’t align with mine, so what does that say about me?’ I realized that the only way I could be good with that was if I didn’t hide anymore. I’m not going to pretend a part of my personality isn’t loud and political and silly and interested in the Housewives and reality TV. And if I experienced pushback — this person isn’t very Vogue, or this is not a Vogue story — I would fight for it.”

Ms. Karefa-Johnson at the Garage magazine launch party, held at the Paul Rudolph-designed former Halston house in Manhattan.Credit...Amy Lombard for The New York Times
There are stylists who are geniuses at creating a fantasy world, stylists who are almost sculptural about images, and stylists who are good with celebrities. Ms. Karefa-Johnson decided she would be a stylist who used fashion like a Trojan horse to deliver points about the politics of race, size and access.
When she was assigned a story about puffer coats, for example, she decided to shoot only Black models in Iceland, to “decolonize the outdoors,” she said. She refused to feature Dolce & Gabbana in her stories after the Dolce designers made racist and fat-phobic comments.
“It was definitely not ideal that I worked in a fashion magazine that they support financially and was not willing to shoot their product,” she said. And she kept posting her thoughts.

Yet, as Ms. Elsesser said, “There are consequences to representing something different.”
Ms. Karefa-Johnson learned exactly what that meant in 2022 when she was in Paris for the shows and went to Ye’s newly rebranded YZY collection, which included a “White Lives Matter” T-shirt. Afterward, and for the next few days, she wrestled with that in various posts on her Instagram stories.
The designer, formerly known as Kanye West, was not happy with her and went to war on his Instagram, posting a picture of her with the words “This is not a fashion person” and criticizing her clothes.
“The only reason he thought that he could come for me is because he thought I was not someone who brokered power,” Ms. Karefa-Johnson said. “He thought a fat Black woman could not possibly be somebody who has any sway in this industry, and certainly not somebody who works at Vogue. It was humiliating. This super-famous person who I respected despite his shortcomings is validating my worst fear to a huge audience.”
Vogue defended her, as it had when her Kamala Harris cover was attacked. People were upset about the picture, which they felt was too casual, and the lighting. The vice president’s team remained mum, even though, Ms. Karefa-Johnson said, they had chosen all the clothes.

Act III: Freedom​

Her statements about the Israel-Hamas war were more controversial. There were limits, it turned out, to how one can effect change from the inside. So, though Ms. Karefa-Johnson calls Vogue her personal “Roman Empire” and Ms. Wintour “A Dubs”; and though Ms. Goodman raves about her talent and intelligence and says she is one of her “best friends”; and Ms. Wintour says “we are really proud of the work we did together,” Ms. Karefa-Johnson decided to leave before her words became a problem. (Ms. Wintour said that Ms. Karefa-Johnson’s departure was “entirely her decision.”)

“It’s a risk,” said her mother, Suzanne Karefa-Johnson, a physician with a focus on hospice and palliative medicine, who said she and her daughter had discussed the trade-off between the freedom of going solo and the safety of the institution, especially in light of the aggressive criticism Ms. Karefa-Johnson had received on social media after she spoke out about Israel.

This will be her first ready-to-wear season without the armature of her former employer.
“I feel like I’m going to get, like, Row 7, Seat 45,” Ms. Karefa-Johnson said. She isn’t sure if the hairstylists and makeup artists she worked with at Vogue will continue to work with her. “The idea that ‘I have to make sure you’re OK with the powers that be before I work with you’ is something I’ve constantly pushed up against. Now I’m not attached to some of those powerful systems, we’ll see what I’ve got on my own.”
In truth, she’s not entirely on her own. She has a team of agents at the talent agency WME plotting her next move. She is consulting for Nike, has done design collaborations with Target and Moschino, occasionally models, and is shooting fashion features for independent magazines like Document. In September, she used her contacts to help the young designer Torishéju Dumi stage her first fashion show (she got Naomi Campbell to model), and she is continuing to style Joseph Altuzarra’s New York Fashion Week show, as well as Etro in Milan.
She is also writing a book about her experiences. Working title: “Not a Fashion Person.”
“So, thank you, Kanye,” she said.
Ms. Goodman said she thought Ms. Karefa-Johnson might end up as creative director of a brand. “That could really break open all the issues,” she said. Mr. Gebremedhin said, “I could see her going into advocacy work.”
Ms. Wintour had a different idea. “I always told her she should have a talk show,” she said.

"Ms. Wintour had a different idea. “I always told her she should have a talk show,” she said."

hahaha the best line to end this article....

I don't like her work or her public persona....she got there for what she represent instead of what her talent....

Her work with Etro is Etro-cious lol...

Im sorry to asking but do we know who will be now CEO of Vogue UK after Edward ?

Im sorry to asking but do we know who will be now CEO of Vogue UK after Edward ?
Chioma Nnadi is the new head of content (they got rid of the editor-in-chief title; she was previously digital editor at U.S. Vogue) and will be reporting to Anna Wintour.

Alasdair McKimm leaving i-D Magazine as editor-in-chief:

Finally! The scandals could not last any longer…
The corruption, and abuse of power comes as no surprise.
Good riddance!!!
🤟🏾🤟🏾🤟🏾

Did I miss something?
Read between the lines… such abrupt departure… hmmm hmmmmm… if it wasnt so abrupt, that ego would try to make his goodbye cover /issue and announce it months ago. Edward Enninful style, another one who we won’t miss much!

Announced before Alastair left but never posted here
Karlie Kloss’ i-D Magazine Pauses Print and Digital Temporarily and Launches Newsletter

Karlie Kloss’ i-D Magazine Pauses Print and Digital Temporarily and Launches Newsletter​

LONDONi-D Magazine is pausing its print publication and digital output for the foreseeable future as it focuses on repositioning itself in the publishing world.

In the time being, the British bimonthly magazine acquired by Karlie Kloss last year is launching a newsletter and will continue to post across its social media channels on Instagram, TikTok and YouTube.

“The truth is that there is a lot going on at i-D. And we’re doing it ourselves,” the magazine said in a statement.

“Creating something that can stand the test of time has always been our goal. In many ways, the world is different to when we first started — and yet the same things are just as important to us now as they were back then: reflecting the most exciting and creative expressions of youth culture through fashion, music, photography, art and everything in between.”

Even though i-D Magazine is rethinking its strategy as the statement revealed, it promised its readers that it will be “back bigger and better than ever: online, in print, and everywhere else you can imagine.”

In November 2023, Kloss saved the magazine from bankruptcy adding it to her media portfolio, which also includes W Magazine that she acquired in 2020.

The sale of i-D was handled through Kloss’s newly former company Bedford Media, where Kloss is chairwoman. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Alastair McKimm, who has led i-D since 2019, has taken on more responsibilities since the sale of the magazine by stepping up to become chief creative officer and global editor in chief.

Vice Media, which purchased i-D in 2012, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2023 and was acquired for $350 million by its creditors, led by Fortress Investment Group that same year.

Many magazines are repositioning themselves in an otherwise difficult publishing business. The reach is now on community rather than attracting new readers.

Earlier this month, Dazed Media rolled out a dedicated social networking application tied to its membership offering, Dazed Club, which was first introduced in 2022.

First reported by WWD last May, the app encourages users to share their creative work — be it films, imagery or links to their portfolios, to connect with collaborators and seek new opportunities.

Users can also explore and join groups, ask questions and receive advice from industry experts. They can also access event listings and editorial content from Dazed.

In October 2023, Elle U.K. launched Elle Collective, a new subscription platform for readers to interact with the making of the magazine, and the launch of a new newsletter.

At Condé Nast, whose magazines include Vogue, Vanity Fair, GQ and Allure, tough times are still ahead.

The publisher has been undergoing a yearslong restructuring and chief executive officer Roger Lynch revealed last November that the company was planning a 5 percent staff reduction (or about 300 employees) across its numerous titles.

The announcement of layoffs followed a top-line restructuring in October across editorial, content development and branded content that saw Condé Nast Entertainment head Agnes Chu, among others, leave the company.

Content across Vogue U.S. and Vogue Runway now sit behind a paywall as Condé Nast tightens its purse and continues to juggle its handful of publications.

In January, the music publication Pitchfork, which the publisher has owned since 2015, was folded into GQ.

Pitchfork is renowned for its honest reviews which will likely be watered down now as it merges with GQ due to the pressures of the magazine’s advertisers.

Did GQ Style officially close? The site hasn't been updated in over a year and I know the last physical edition was back in AW 22/23 - but there was due to be a Spring issue in April according to the media packs and it never materialised. Does anyone know if there was any official word on it?

"Vogue has always been a home for showcasing new voices and talent. One of the things I am most excited about is using our platform to introduce up-and-coming creatives to the world, as well as to mentor young artists," said Martinez in a statement."

Sounds like he knows the budget is going to be nonexistent.

"Vogue has always been a home for showcasing new voices and talent. One of the things I am most excited about is using our platform to introduce up-and-coming creatives to the world, as well as to mentor young artists," said Martinez in a statement."

Sounds like he knows the budget is going to be nonexistent.
He doesn’t have the budget that he had once he was design director back in the day. So we still have the non sense. They should stick with Jamie and Robin

I know someone posted it in another thread but thought it would be good to post here
Margaret Zhang is leaving Vogue China

Influencer-turned-editor Margaret Zhang to Exit Vogue China​

Australian filmmaker Margaret Zhang attends the Elton John AIDS Foundation's 31st Annual Academy Awards Viewing Party on March 12, 2023, in West Hollywood, California.

Margaret Zhang AFP via Getty Imagesnone
LONDON — Margaret Zhang, who is currently attending Milan Fashion Week, will leave her post as editorial director at Vogue China at the end of March, confirming an earlier report in WWD that her contract with Condé Nast expires in spring 2024.

A message from Anna Wintour, Condé Nast global chief content officer and Vogue editor in chief, sent to staff at Vogue China on Friday evening, seen by WWD, said the search for a successor is on the way, while Zhang has decided “to transition to a new chapter in her career after many contributions at Vogue China.”

Wintour, who picked Zhang during the COVID-19 pandemic among a cohort of digital-savvy candidates, said it is her “top priority to find a visionary new leader without delay.”

“I’m extremely proud of the work and efforts of the entire Vogue China team, especially with the launch of so many new initiatives that celebrate China’s exciting role in fashion,” she added.

As first reported by WWD, the Chinese edition of the fashion title has been seeking a deputy editor since last November.

Industry sources said Chen Bo, a veteran editor at Esquire China, is a frontrunner for the role, which essentially oversees the day-to-day operations of the magazine.

The deputy editor job itself is not dissimilar to the role of head of editorial content, which has been given to the heads of all other directly operated international editions of Vogue under the singular vision of Wintour.

Zhang’s departure exposed the downside of Wintour’s vision of having one unified voice across so many regional editions that are not bound by the same culture. In markets like China, a thorough understanding and respect for the nuanced ways of doing things locally is the key to success.

According to industry sources, despite her effort to understand the complexity of the market and what today’s Chinese fashion consumers want, what Zhang delivered was seen as underwhelming by industry peers and online spectators, when compared to the quality of the output from her predecessor Angelica Cheung, or competitors like Wallpaper China’s owner Huasheng Media and MC Style Media, which runs the Chinese edition of W and Marie Claire.

Last year, she was publicly called out by Huasheng Media founder Chuxuan Feng on Weibo for being disrespectful to the Chinese market over model Du Juan breaking a non-compete rule introduced by Zhang.

Her business skills have been questioned on social media as several covers have gone unsponsored under her watch.

According to industry insiders, a Vogue China cover, while in theory is not for sale, can fetch at least 3 million renminbi, or $428,000, in sponsorship from top luxury brands. Having no one paying for a cover is extremely uncommon in the highly commercialized Chinese fashion magazine business.

The exit of Zhang also marks the latest senior leadership reshuffle in the last 12 months at Condé Nast, where rounds of protests also broke out due to layoffs.

Last September, Chioma Nnadi was named British Vogue’s head of editorial content, taking over responsibilities from Edward Enninful, who took on the new position of global creative and cultural adviser at Vogue and will also become an editorial adviser at British Vogue.

Vanessa Kingori, chief business officer at Condé Nast Britain and Vogue European business adviser, joined Google earlier this year as managing director of tech, media and telecoms.

Vogue China was the last remaining international Vogue edition operated directly under Condé Nast to have an editor in chief title besides Wintour herself.

However, in the title’s masthead, the job is listed as editorial director. In China, the role of editor in chief at Vogue China by law is reserved for the magazine’s local publishing partner, China Pictorial. It is one thing Condé Nast never clarifies in its communications outside of China.

I know someone posted it in another thread but thought it would be good to post here
Margaret Zhang is leaving Vogue China

shut the front door!

not even a full three years at vogue china. so that du juan cover was her parting gift. what an underwhelming one, smh. was march 2024 her final cover?

she wasn't making them money:

Her business skills have been questioned on social media as several covers have gone unsponsored under her watch.

According to industry insiders, a Vogue China cover, while in theory is not for sale, can fetch at least 3 million renminbi, or $428,000, in sponsorship from top luxury brands. Having no one paying for a cover is extremely uncommon in the highly commercialized Chinese fashion magazine business.

and had the nerve to have that cover rule for models smh

where is ms. sophia liao! i need her commentary on this stat!

on a less shocking note: whew, i can now comfortably unfollow margaret on instagram

Can someone explain the Sophia Liao stuff, confused

She was basically against hiring Margaret as EIC of Vogue China, saying that she doesn't have any experience and qualifications for it. She was also against the shared content strategy as well if I'm not mistaken. I think she got fired because of it.. She wrote a multiple blog post about her view of the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasonb199
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->