The Business of Magazines

You know it wasn't a nice depart when she didn't thank anyone...only wrote about her achievements...
In the Chinese text (Parts are untranslated) she does thank all the readers/friends who supported the magazine, but that's it.

Interesting...Carine x Vogue for the Vogue World event in Paris. I suppose they are responding to her criticism of the influence of Anna in French fashion from here

Carine Roitfeld was on French TV and had a few things to say about Anna Wintour...

Translating for non-French speakers

Journalist 1: Are you okay with being called the French "Anna Wintour" or does it bother you?

Carine Roitfeld: It bothers me a bit.

J1: Why?

CR: Even though I worked with her for some time, I think she's a very good journalist, very straight-forward and who knows what she wants; but I think she's been given too much power.

Journalist 2: She's called the high priestess of global fashion.

CR: She might be more skilled - she might hate me for it, but I think she already does anyway - in politics...

J2: She's sneaky...

CR: I wouldn't say sneaky because she's quite direct. She's more skilled in politics than in fashion. I'm more into this industry for the sake of fashion. Two days ago Mr President (Emmanuel Macron) hosted a dinner at the Elysee Palace to celebrate French fashion and I was shocked, especially for all the French editors-in-chief, that Anna Wintour was sat right next to the President. I didn't find that very tactful.

J1: Because it wasn't you, Carine?
J2: But you are the French Anna Wintour?

CR: There are great (French) editors-in-chief, I don't find it very fair for them.

J1: Do people do too much about her?

CR: People do too much, even though she is very powerful. She has many qualities, she's a great mother which for me is a very good quality.

J1: The Devil Wears Prada made her famous.

CR: Of course, she's very much like the character of the movie, always behind her sunglasses.

J2: You don't like her.

CR: No, I don't like her, but I respect her. I have worked for her so I know how to work with her, and she's exceptional.

J2: (ironically) Does she have eyes?

CR: Blue, I believe.

Tonne Goodman posted a snap of GKJ's testimony on her IG and some Haper Bazaar's cover she did with Amber. Any conflict with CN here?

Does anyone know if Sarah Harris left Vogue UK? I saw that she doesn't follow chioma and hasn't posted anything at fashion week.

Harper's Bazaar France 2023 Circulation
Note: Slightly confused on the formatting of the document but I believe the numbers to be correct
March: 46,013 (Eliza Dau, Loli Bahia, Rebecca Leigh Longendyke, Jeanne Cadieu)
April: 17,671 (Rianne Van Rompaey)
May: 18,291 (Imaan Hammam)
June/July: 22,055 (Awar Odhiang, Angelina Kendall, Eva Herzigova, Jill Kortleve)
August: 83,086 (Laetitia Casta)
September: 74,979 (Catherine Denevue)
October: 78,306 (Amelia Gray)
November: 90,302 (Vanessa Paradis)
December/January: 108,177 (Loli Bahia, Charlotte Gainsbourg)
Total: 538,880
source: acpm.fr

Harper's Bazaar France 2023 Circulation
Note: Slightly confused on the formatting of the document but I believe the numbers to be correct
March: 46,013 (Eliza Dau, Loli Bahia, Rebecca Leigh Longendyke, Jeanne Cadieu)
April: 17,671 (Rianne Van Rompaey)
May: 18,291 (Imaan Hammam)
June/July: 22,055 (Awar Odhiang, Angelina Kendall, Eva Herzigova, Jill Kortleve)
August: 83,086 (Laetitia Casta)
September: 74,979 (Catherine Denevue)
October: 78,306 (Amelia Gray)
November: 90,302 (Vanessa Paradis)
December/January: 108,177 (Loli Bahia, Charlotte Gainsbourg)
Total: 538,880
source: acpm.fr
That’s good. Since August they have numbers like Vogue France

I look forward to the article. I'm looking forward to UK Vogue having a woman as the editor again.

Although I take it that all these "shy" and "self-deprecating" descriptors are really shorthand for "she seems a relatively normal person" in contrast to Anna's icy facade or Edward's egotism.

Because you don't make it in the worlds of fashion or media by being a church mouse, and we should be long past the point where a woman can't be seen to own her achievements.

Alexandra may come off as a bit bitter, but at least she's entertaining and honest. In today's world where everyone is a god of their own universe and it's below people's level to dedicate an Instagram cube to anyone else but themselves, some raw opinions and insider info (a.k.a. gossip) from the fashion industry amuse me very much.

Personally, I don't really find Alexandra bitter or mean-spirited. I see it more as just an observer of media, from someone who had been in the game for decades. "Inside Vogue" was a good read if you're interested in the diary of her time there. (And that job sounded very stressful and not much fun, but that's just my impression...).

Years ago (2002), I wrote to UK Vogue complaining about a cover, and Alexandra wrote a letter in the post back to me, explaining her choice. There wouldn't be many who would have done that in those days - to have taken the time to read and respond.

well, they tried to smear alexandra and she ended up having the last laugh. queen mother didn't go out with the bang of acclaim he thought he would. now, here is alex giving credit (her seal of approval) to the next "leader" of vogue uk. ain't nothing to hate.

alexandra is harmless, funny, candid, and and lil sassy. people complained about her lack of diversity, but she ended up having a stronger, even more memorable legacy than money-making edward. impressive on its own in my book.

Interesting...Carine x Vogue for the Vogue World event in Paris. I suppose they are responding to her criticism of the influence of Anna in French fashion from here

Wow Jacqueline Follet talking about Miranda Priestly very directly....and she will do the Vogue World Paris?....

When Carine have worked for Anna W?

Wow Jacqueline Follet talking about Miranda Priestly very directly....and she will do the Vogue World Paris?....

When Carine have worked for Anna W?
She styled some eds for American Vogue in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bastianvek
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->