The Comme des Garçons "Universe"

Future Beauty: 30 Years of Japanese Fashion

Visited this yesterday, a few weeks after it opened...thoroughly enjoyable. One part of the exhibition titled 'Flatness' featured Naoya Hatakeyama's photoseries of Comme pieces laid flat (2009)- it also has a little section of the accompanying gallery pamphlet:

m4b.jpg

z6t.jpg

(own photos, pamphlet by Barbican Art Gallery)

Managed to find a lone photo - appreciate an upload/directions to title if anyone else has seen this published anywhere?

13-Lambda-Print-2009.jpg

(image courtesy Barbican Art Gallery)

it should be noted in this thread that TAO will no longer be part of the comme universe...

:(...

luckily she will still be designing the TRICOT collection...
:flower:

Dover Street Market prepares to become true market leader in Japan

Dover Street Market co-founder Adrian Joffe talks to Metro about the past, present and future of London's coolest fashion showcase as it prepares to expand to Tokyo.

article-1331735141691-12153C3F000005DC-706318_636x459.jpg

Mixed message: Dover Street Market co-founder Adrian Joffe says the store is for everyone

In 2004, a unique shop opened its doors in salubrious Mayfair. Dover Street Market, founded by Comme des Garçons' Rei Kawakubo and husband Adrian Joffe, offered a glorious mish-mash of CDG and cutting-edge brands in a theatrically industrial space of custom-built favela-like huts and long Edwardian windows. Since then, DSM has become the capital's coolest fashion showcase, not only for hip Londoners but also for international fashion gipsies.
Its directory of brands is unrivalled, from powerful up-and-coming designers such as Simone Rocha and JW Anderson to established houses Hussein Chalayan and Celine. Small brands love the exposure it offers; big brands love it for the creative freedom and flexibility their own staid flagships don't offer them. Each brand's space within DSM is a shifting work of art.
Today, Dover Street Market opens its first international store – in Ginza, Tokyo. The opening represents a new era for Dover Street Market as it prepares to go global. Metro talks to founder Adrian Joffe about DSM, past and future.
article-1331735193585-121548A9000005DC-209755_223x335.jpg

Adrian Joffe: I can't see a DSM in Milan

Why did DSM originally open in London?

We had a franchise with Browns and the lease was coming up, so we had to decide whether to renew it or do something ourselves. DSM was originally inspired by Kensington Market. Rei was very inspired by the bustle of the market and wanted to create a modern version of it.
How did people first react to DSM?
It took time for people to understand the concept because everything was mixed up. Despite London's forward-looking energy and creative spirit, people would come in and ask: 'Where's the men's floor, where's the women's floor? Is the store for old people or young people?' We said it was for anybody.
Is there ever going to be a time when you reach saturation point with the number of brands?
We've reached it now, we're full. We will have to squeeze and some brands will have to leave. It's hard but it has to happen.
Tell us about Ginza
We didn't chose Ginza, Ginza chose us. After seven years, we felt this was the right time to have the first store outside London and an opportunity came up in Ginza, the commercial district of Tokyo. There was an old department store that used to be amazing in the 1950s, 60s and 70s but became run-down before it shut up shop in the 1990s. We covered the entire facade with concrete and glass so you can't see in from the outside. Ginza is a quite conservative area, full of old classic department stores, so we like the idea of being a pioneer there.
How many of the designers from the London store are going into Ginza?
Around 95 per cent. A lot of them already have their own shops there but will continue to show in our store as we allow them to do something different. They like the idea of being able to express themselves more freely. That's the beauty of DSM and that's often the feedback we get from the designers. The great thing about Ginza is that we have brands there that we don't have in London, such as Louis Vuitton. They've done an incredible, completely off-the-wall, creative new space in our store and will be changing it every month. We respect the brand enormously and are very honoured and happy to have them. But what's even better about Ginza is that we will be able to give more space to the Japanese brands.
Is this what you envisaged?
This is exactly what we hoped for the store. Ginza is the launch of Dover Street Market International, so it's very important. We have a plan to open five stores maximum. We've already planned one in New York. Wherever we open, it has to be a place with a lot of energy because the concept of the store is a beautiful clash of visions. Not every city lends itself to that. I couldn't see a DSM in Milan, for instance.

metro.co.uk

i wonder what brands will get squeezed out of the universe? I've never been to DSM to say what sells well and what doesnt.

A Bathing Ape, Adam Kimmel, Alexander McQueen, Alexander Wang, Ann Demeulemeester, Apple, Azzedine Alaia, Balenciaga, Bamford Watch Department, Beatles Comme des Garçons, Celine, Christopher Nemeth, Chrome Hearts, 10 Corso Como, Comme des Garçons, Comme des Garçons Black, Comme des Garçons Comme des Garçons, Comme des Garçons Homme, Comme des Garçons Homme Deux, Comme des Garçons Homme Plus, Comme des Garçons Shirt, Coudamy Design, Courreges, Christian Astuguevieille, Cutler & Gross, Damir Doma, Daniela Gregis, Delvaux, DSM Bag Space, DSM Book Space, DSM Jewellery Space, DSM Shoe Space, DSM Sneaker Space, egg, Ferragamo Creations, Ganryu, Givenchy, Graham Hudson, House of Billiam, Junya Watanabe, Junya Watanabe Man, JW Anderson, Kohei Nawa, Kolor, Louis Vuitton, Mackintosh, Maison Martin Margiela, Marios Schwab, Marni, mastermind JAPAN, Matt Clark, Michael Costiff's World Archive, Michael Howells, Michael Samuels, Nike, Nike Gyakuso, Paco Rabanne, Patkau Architects, Paul Harnden, PLAY Comme des Garçons, Pocket Comme des Garçons, Raf Simons, Rick Owens, Rose Bakery, Sacai, Simone Rocha, Stephanie Quayle, Stephen Jones, Supreme, Thom Browne, Tricot Comme des Garçons, Undercover, Universal Utility, Visvim, Walter Van Beirendonck, Yves Saint Laurent.

from style.com

Hair Apparent: Julien D’Ys’ First Painting Exhibition At Comme Des Garçons

June 23, 2011 2:23 pm

You’re likely to find master hairstylist Julien d’Ys with a brush in hand these days, but not the kind you would expect. The talented Frenchman (né Pierrick Le Verge), known for such tress moments as Linda Evangelista’s career-launching crop, the Marie Antoinette wigs at the Met’s Model as Muse exhibition, and Katy Perry’s retro wave on the June cover of Vanity Fair, has been devoting his time to peinture of late. He kicks off his first ever solo painting exhibition at the Paris Comme des Garçons store today. We caught up with Monsieur d’Ys after a day of installation setup for a tête-à-tête.

—Bee-Shyuan Chang

You’ve had this long-standing work relationship with Rei Kawakubo of Comme des Garçons. What’s the process like working with Rei on a show?
Working with Rei, it’s always a surprise. We’ve been working together for almost 23 years now. Maybe two weeks before the show, she’ll give me some background. For example, she’ll say, “Black and gold.” I’ll work on it and then we’ll see each other one day before the show to fine-tune the look. I respect her a lot. She gives me a lot of freedom but at the same time I try to find an idea that she is going to like. I like to think between the two of us there’s this osmosis of creation.

When you first started your career, did you ever think you’d have the creative reins to take hair to, pardon the pun, such heights?
No, not at all. I never wanted to be a hairstylist. I just wanted to create, to do things that didn’t exist yet.

Now you’re showcasing your first painting exhibition. Are there similarities or differences between working with hair and paint as a medium?
People know my wig creations but not my paintings. For me painting, drawing, and doing hair are similar. At the very beginning, I was painting and drawing. It was only after that I started doing hair. I treat hair as if I’m painting. During shoots, I think of all the people I work with as canvases.

Is fine art where you find the most satisfaction creatively these days?
Definitely. It has been always like this. To create is my life.

What do you think of Lady Gaga? She seems to have a penchant for outlandish wig and hair pieces.
I met her in 2009 in Grace Coddington’s office. When I first met her, I didn’t know who she was. The meeting was to prepare for a photo shoot with Annie Leibovitz: “Hansel & Gretel,” and in the story Lady Gaga was playing the witch. For the meeting, I went with some of the wigs I made for the Metropolitan Museum. I tried a white wig on her and she really liked it. She’s really inspiring. Ours feelings about art are really close.

What other projects do you have coming up?
I don’t know yet. My motto is “go with the wind.”

Photo: Ilker Akyol

Why hasn't anybody posted the CDGHP Spring/Summer collection for 2013??

I would if I knew how to post pics.

Does anybody have the runway video for this collection??

Comme Des Garcons store in Singapore

Store at the Hilton Hotel Arcade

Attachments

• IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 7
tried a bit to find english articles but no luck so far.
anyway it's about the debut of a new brand from CdG named noir kei ninomiya.
there should be more info online sooner or later.

from fashionsnap

january 24, 2013 5:45 pm

コム デ ギャルソンから新ブランド「noir kei ninomiya(ノワール ケイ ニノミヤ)」がデビューした。デザイナーは二宮啓(にのみや けい)。「noir kei ninomiya」は、フランス語で"黒"を意味する"noir"をブランド名に冠し、色に主眼をおいて服を作っていくという。

二宮啓は青山学院大学文学部仏文科卒業後、アントワープ王立芸術のアカデミーファッション科で学んだ。2008年にコム デ ギャルソンに入社し、「Comme des Garçons(コム デ ギャルソン)」のパタンナーとしてキャリアをスタート。2012年10月にコム デ ギャルソンの新ブランドとして「noir kei ninomiya」をスタートした。

国内では現在、東京・表参道のファッション複合ビル「GYRE(ジャイル)」内の「TRADING MUSEUM Comme des Garçons(トレーディング ミュージアム コム デ ギャルソン)」のみで販売。店頭では密かなスタートを切ったが、発売後すぐにSNSなど来店客の口コミで話題になっていた。ファーストコレクションとして店頭には、全て黒で統一されたドレスやジャケット、スカートが並んでいる。今後は、パリの「TRADING MUSEUM Comme des Garçons」とロンドンの「DOVER STREET MARKET GINZA COMME des GARÇONS(ドーバーストリートマーケット ギンザ・コム デ ギャルソン)」での展開を予定。

コム デ ギャルソンの新ブランドは「GANRYU(ガンリュウ)」以来4年ぶり。同社のデザイナー名を冠したブランドでは、渡辺淳弥の「JUNYA WATANABE COMME des GARÇONS」、栗原たおの「Tao Comme des Garçons」(2011年終了)、そしてデザイナー丸龍文人の「GANRYU」に続くブランドになる。

Partial translation from Japanese to English

Com de from Garson brand new "noir kei ninomiya ( Noir Kei ninomiya )" debuted. Designer's ninomiya ( the only k-). "noir kei ninomiya" says pay the brand name "noir means" black "in France," a focus on color, making clothes.

Ninomiya studied at the Antwerp Royal Art Academy Department of Aoyama Gakuin University literature department French graduated. 2 008 Years com de Garson joined "c Comme des Gar ons ( com de Garson )" of began his career as a patterner. 10/2012, Comme des "noir kei ninomiya" started as a new brand of Garson.

Domestic now, Omotesando, Tokyo's fashion building ( Gil ) "GYRE" in "c TRAD ING MUSEUM Comme des Gar ons ( trading Museum comme de Garcon )" sold in only. Is a quietly started off in stores, soon had been talking about by word of mouth customers, such as SNS after its launch. Jacket, skirt and dress uniform all black over the counter, as a first collection side by side

Comme des Garcon's new brand ( ガンリュウ ) "GANRYU" since four years. Is the eponymous designer's brand of Junya Watanabe would be followed by "GANRYU"JUNYA WATANABE COMME des GAR ONS' C, Kurihara Tao Tao Comme des Gar c ons (end of 2011), and designer round Dragon Bookman"brand.

thanks runner...
will keep a look out for more info...

mike- sorry, but that translation is all but incomprehensible...
:P

thanks for trying though...^_^

yeah, I tried....but it failed horribly....LOL

I used an online language translater to do it called Babelfish

With all the recent additions to the CDG range or UNIVERSE .... Any chance for the map on page 1 be updated ?

Btw ...... Anyone with views on the bizarre CDG X THE BEATLES collection ?
It's so ugly and directionless and worse of all it really is a cut and paste job ...
The Beatles estate or whatever must have a good reason to be doing this I guess ...to keep its brand alive ??
WHAT'S WANTS TO WEAR a "the Beatles " logo ...anything ?

How well is it doing ? , who has bought it and may I ask why ?

For me it's certainly a waste of resources .

Why CDG X BEATLES ??

Hello.

This thread has been quiet for too long.
I was hoping someone might have some information (hopefully pics) of the collaboration Kawakubo did with Westwood that she spoke about with Hans Ulrich Obrist in the interview published in System magazine last year.

I had a search around and I couldn't even find a date for the collection.
I only found 2 vintage pieces for sale:
A men's jacket on eBay
and a women's jacket on Rakuten.

Kawakubo called it her only actual collaboration, and these pieces look interesting, so I am dying to see more.

^thanks for posting those...
i don't know anything about it but it's interesting indeed...
i can definitely see vivienne westood's influence...
it's more westwood than comme, imo...

i would also love to see more and know what year it was...
:woot:

it was what they had at 10corsocomo CdG. though not sure if they had sold it at other shops, what you'd come across today can mostly be from that store, which means it was available there since march 2002 as long as it was not sold out.

mainly vivienne westwood styles in CdG fabrics, treatments, and sometimes constructions (the way they were lined , unlined, etc). even if there are not many pics of them around, it might not be so difficult to somehow imagine what they were like.

Last edited by a moderator:
^thanks runner...
ahhh--that makes sense...
it's def a VW silhouette...

i think i can imagine it, as you say...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenn888
Back