The Costume Institute Gala 2009: The Model as Muse

Seriously, what were they thinking? Most of the looks I've seen were pretty hideous. My favorite has to be Miranda Kerr. She was sexy yet classy, and yet she took a risk.

Du Juan!!! So she was that lovely lady wearing that white Jil Sander fringe dress. I've been dying for someone to wear it on the red carpet since I first laid eyes on it and finally someone has!...and gorgeously, I might add.

The problem is the 80s were awful in themselfs , bringing them back in the 2009 makes them even worse. Everyone looks like a Dalla's cast off.

I have no idea why everyone's so taken with the models. Did they look pretty, cute, sexy? Yes. Did they look like muses? No. Totally uninspired, which is sad since they’re the models and all. Sasha P. was about the only one who resembled a muse to me. Claudia Schiffer would’ve looked perfect if only they had done something more with her hair and make-up, because that dress is definitely drama. Only one I can think of who actually fit the theme was Kate Bosworth, who did look like a muse from head to toe. Ashley Olsen comes to mind too.

So glad to know who was finally wearing that Jil dress! She looks fantastic.

Best: Gisele, Emma Roberts, Marisa Tomei and Marion Cotillard:woot::woot:
Worst : Madonna and Leighton Meester :huh::o

some people are so uninspired... i had fun looking at madonna and rihanna though, they looked ridiculous. i can't remember anyone looking that ridiculous last year...maybe i just erased it from my head, because there are only three dresses i remember: stella mccartney's, kate moss's (by stella, kind of boring but pretty) and christina ricci's (THE best dress of that night).
my favorite looks this time: kate moss:heart:, iman, claudia schiffer (i was shocked when i saw her. i generally don't pay attention to her because nowadays, instead of bardot, she reminds me of michael jackson, but that dress is amazing), kristen mcmenamy, sasha fierce:boxer:, iris strubegger, karen elson, lou doillon, bee schaffer, kate bosworth, ashley olsen. and i just can't help putting lara stone and her superheroinesque look in this list, too.
i also liked marion cotillard, emmy rossum, kirsten dunst, stella mccartney, kate hudson, liv tyler, diane kruger, jessica stam, nadja auermann, catherine mcneil, du juan and daria... too bad mariacarla didn't go.

Most (with notable exceptions) of the models looked good, my favorite looks were Iris Strubegger in the gorgeous Givenchy couture and Karen Elson.

As for Sasha, who could get away with an outfit like that except her? Definitely unconventional, but it works, I think.

Ashley Olsen's outfit was nice and dramatic, and I even liked Mary-Kate's for whatever reason.

But a lot of people looked awful! With weird hair or ugly make-up or a bad tan, not to mention the clothing choices. I don't understand how so many people could get it so wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:
ALEK WEK

also LOVED:
Kate B
Raquel Z
DvF
Daria W
Sasha P :heart:
Mk Olsen

Du Juan is my idol :wub: I have been searching to find out who was in that dress and she just looks stunning. Wonderful choice :heart:

Holy crap!! Check out Erin O'Connor! She's like permanently stuck in Couture mode. :wub:

karlie, jourdan, liya, catherine

wwd.com

Attachments

• karlie-kloss-jourdan-dunn.jpg
    karlie-kloss-jourdan-dunn.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 61
  • liya_kebede.jpg
    liya_kebede.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 41
  • roland-mouret-catherine-mcneil.jpg
    roland-mouret-catherine-mcneil.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 35
It was an interesting night for fashion! A lot of hits and misses !!! Here's my quick list:
Best
Diane Kruger
Daria Werbowy
Iman
Kate Bosworth
Liv Tyler
Chanel Iman
Marion Cotillard
Coco Rocha

Worst
Rihanna
Madonna