The laptop and netbook thread

bump

what does everyone think of netbooks?

small and lightweight

it's been a while since the last post, so i'm wondering if they have improved over the years. can you watch the runway collection videos on them? and play music at the same time? B)

i've seen a lot by the brand acer
but i'm not really familiar with the name... if they are dependable or not

^ I think I've had Acer at work before & it was fine ...

Do you want to know what the Consumer Reports guide says about laptops?

do u mean consumerreports.org?
i don't know where to look for opinions, there are so many sites..
on that site they have so many kinds of computers i never heard about ^^

they write
Netbooks are a relatively new computer category, so we currently have no reliability data.
:ninja:

they do say the processors are slower than regular laptops..

^ I just subscribed to Consumer Reports because I'm going to need a new dishwasher soon ... I believe this officially puts me in a category I never intended to join :P But with your subscription you get their annual buyers guide, and it does have a laptop section. I was asking if you wished to know what it recommends ... but I guess you have already found out what they have to say about the one you're interested in :wink:

PS I currently have a Toshiba & haven't been overly thrilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
i was about to get a toshiba before :( (a laptop)

^ It's about 5 years old now, but I haven't used it that much. It got infected with a virus which crashed the hard drive, and I didn't fix it for years. Even so, at the 5 year mark the hard drive went, then the sound card, and now the fan (I think) is making really weird noises :innocent: If you want to get rid of your laptop frequently, it would be fine, but I really felt that if I gave the machine a couple years or more off, then I should be able to get that time back, do you know what I mean? :wink: But it's like the components are programmed to break on a certain schedule, boom boom boom, doesn't matter whether they've been used or not. I just am not into the whole planned obsolescence (sp?) thing, I find it really annoying.

oh wow, i never thought of that :o pre-programmed rotting
so they force you to upgrade constantly :ninja:
i heard some cars are the same

i am wondering if netbooks can also have external systems that can make them go faster or hold more information
i know that you can connect it to a bigger monitor

i just need one soon since the person whose computer i use is leaving :ninja: perhaps next week. i use the internet for everything :shock: getting place to place, making my shopping lists etc

^ Pre-programmed rotting, I love it :lol:

So it seems like there must be the computer equivalent of a Honda ... when I replace this, I will probably try one of Consumer Reports' recs.

Just wanted to mention that my Toshiba is history (well, a coworker is trying to resuscitate it), and I bought a Dell Studio, which has a 17-inch screen and a regular size keyboard. I'm liking it so far--and with 4GB of memory compared to a quarter of a GB in the old machine, I can't believe how fast it is :rolleyes: Even tFS is performing much much better :P

bump

i've seen a lot by the brand acer
but i'm not really familiar with the name... if they are dependable or not
i ended up getting this one
acer aspire(one)
only $400 including tax

i love it :heart:

such a beautiful colour, i got a very nice soft pink one
and it has a kind of glittery look to it
acer%20pink.jpg

newlaunches.com

i uninstalled a ton of things in the beginning
they have a bunch of junk pre-installed and you don't need them at all.. things like google toolbars, which make your computer run so slow

and it's great, it has a built-in webcam
although doesn't take the best detail in photos..but good enough
and has 3 USB ports, super handy

what i noticed though is maybe the keyboard is sensitive? it's good for my hands, but i lent it to my roommate (who spilled milk on his laptop) and it became harder to press some keys after letting him use it.. like the Enter key and backspace
i was mad for a long time because this guy is so careless and is not gentle with anything he comes across, but i think they should have made the keyboard stronger

i got him this silicone keyboard a few weeks ago.. he can spill as much milk as he wants on it and slam the keys as hard as he wants and it is virtually indestructible :lol: i made sure to tell him that the keyboard was designed for him.

I have a Lenovo s10e netbook. The battery life isn't that great. It's decent I don't do much besides surfing the net, watching videos and every now and then download music. Netbooks are for basic computering needs. It also has a built in webcam it's not great the quality is mediocre.

I'm very happy with my toshiba... Had it for 3 years and only now it's starting to show it's age... but it works fine for now... time to start saving up for a new laptop!

My Lenovo is 16 bit which isn't compatible with some software such zen media explorer.

I have an HP tablet and for the most part I love it, though it is not without problems. Mostly inefficient battery and vista (I absolutely hate vista). But the one thing I hate about PCs in general is that there are so many viruses and trojans, etc. I am writing this post from my bbery as I suspect that my laptop has acquired a virus. It won't boot up or go into safe mode, just a black screen and giant cursor. I've been on the fence about switching to a macbook, but my boyfriend and I are such PC loyalists, not to mention that I don't have the funds for a new laptop. Sigh, guess I'll have to restore the settings on my laptop. RIP med school notes. At least I backed up a majority of them.

I just bought the MacBook Pro aluminum :P and i love it.
Yesterday, I didnt want to go out because of my Mac! :D

Its super fast. I installed MS Office for Mac on it - as I used this alot as a PC user.
I also installed VLC player which allows you to play a wider range of movie formats.
Apartt from that everything else is taken care of.

I love the fact that it has a webcam - decent one at that - and i can change the texture of photos etc

I have had my Dell Inspiron 1420 for three years now. It's really sturdy and reliable. And although I love it, I really want to get a Macbook aluminum.

I changed from the Dell that I'd had for a few years to an aluminum MacBook and I love it. My dell was getting pretty dodgy. I went back onto it recently to get some files and wow it was so slow and hard to use by comparison.

I have a macbook. I love it so much. I've had a dell before which was so slow. I got annoyed everytime I used it. The macbook is worth every penny!

i have a sony s series which is like 4 years old now and falling apart but i love it soo much! i am slowly starting to save up for a toshiba though i think..or at least thinking about starting to save up for one..or a macbook..or ummm oh who knows i might just end up buying shoes with my laptop money lol!

I've had my Sony for less than two years and had no real complains about it until about a month ago when it just stopped working. Seems the situation is hopeless too as I guess it's something wrong with the system itself and I doubt I'll be able to get it fixed. Ugh. I'm so mad. Last time I got anything Sony. So now I need to get a new laptop for school and I have no money. I think I'm gonna go with Mac this time around though even though I've been a loyal PC customer all these years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iphone4321
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->