The Mascara Thread #2

I bought the Lancome Hypnose Star mascara as I've used Hypnose Drama for a long time and it's definitely been a favourite.

Hypnose Star give great definition, length and a bit of a curl. The brush is very skinny and it seems almost impossible to get clumps with it. I can't decide if I prefer it over Hypnose Drama though, I want lashes with a big impact! But I definitely like it a lot!

Does anyone know a good brand that has transparent or medium brown waterproof mascara? It's very hard to find non black mascaras.Thanks in advance.

Like the L'Oreal Million Lashes Luminizers, Max Factor has brought out Eye Brightening Tonal mascaras.

Apparently there are at least three shades available - Black Pearl for brown eyes, Black Sapphire for blue eyes and Black Ruby for green eyes - but only two shades were on sale when I went to get them, as if they'd decided no-one has green eyes in Ireland.

While green eyes get a formula that has plum undertones, and brown eyes get a formula with silver flecks, blue eyes get a formula that's entirely blue, so when it comes to these types of mascara, I'm never entirely sure what the underlying logic is – in most cases, the effect is supposedly coming from the contrast with your eye colour, but blue eyes get nothing more exciting than an echo of themselves.

I read in the PR blurb that it's something to do with enhancing the lightness of blue eyes, but mine are so dark, they're the colour of a thundercloud, so that's not going to work for me.

So I find it's essentially mascara with tiny bits of glitter and the same old smell of chemicals that every Max Factor mascara seems to have (makeup4all.com:(

I'm never entirely sure what the underlying logic is – in most cases, the effect is supposedly coming from the contrast with your eye colour, but blue eyes get nothing more exciting than an echo of themselves.

I thought the same, especially the one from L'Oreal - the only logical combination is plum shade for hazel eyes. Though I have that one and I don't really see the difference from brown/black, even on sunlight.

I don't see how these mascaras would enhance your eye color either. However, a plum shade looks a lot less harsh and because I have very light hair and skin I prefer it to an all-black mascara. I'm not a fan of of brown shades, they seem to enhance redness in your eyes while a plum shade makes them look brighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Benefit's They're Real! mascara is my new favourite. Makes beautiful long lashes.

I don't know if this is asking to much of a mascara but I'd like to find one that leaves lashes looking a bit soft and glossy, like natural hairs.
I've read about some mascara with natural ingredients that was supposed to give this look but I forgot the name...

Lancôme Hypnose Star mascara is my absolute favorite at the moment, it has an amazing brush.

^ I am also satisfied with it so far. Lancome mascaras are my favourite.

I don't know if this is asking to much of a mascara but I'd like to find one that leaves lashes looking a bit soft and glossy, like natural hairs.
I've read about some mascara with natural ingredients that was supposed to give this look but I forgot the name...

Maybelline Full and Soft may give you that look. I don't find it to be particularly glossy, but it does look soft and like natural hairs.

^Thank you : ) I'll give that one a try if only I can find it in the stores.

I don't know if I really need glossy lashes but my natural hairs are kind of glossy so I figured it might help the lashes fit into my hair landscape (that sounded a bit disgusting).
With lashes that aren't naturally dark it's so hard to get the natural look with mascara.
I've tinted my eyebrows and I'm so happy I did but I'm a bit scared of tinting my lashes, would probably get the dye in my eyes...

^ I was about to recommend Maybelline Full 'n Soft too. It's great if you want 'natural' looking lashes. As far as the glossy effect, never tried it, but maybe you can try adding a final coat of clear gel mascara.

Why would you need a mascara that gives you a natural look? Though you could achieve it with every not-so-spectacular mascara (or even with the good one but layering it just once), that gives you a min. of volume, lenght and curl, but I don't see the point in that.

To darken the lashes without having to tint them I guess : )
Mascara doesn't work that well for me. My sister is a brunette with dark and somewhat thick lashes and it looks so natural when she wears one coat of mascara.
One coat on my lashes and they look like some bristles made from boar, like there's no way they grew out of my face :unsure:.

I found Full n' Soft on ebay : )

I looove my Maybelline Full 'n' Soft! But recently using Revlon's 3D PhotoReady Waterproof just to hold the curl in my lash.. Any recs for other waterproof mascaras?! This one makes me lashes feel super brittle :( x

^ I never used waterproof mascaras, but since I was on holiday and wanted my mascara to stay in place all day, I tried L'Oreal Telescopic waterproof (the blue tube) and it was good! Held the curl and it wasn't a pain to take off.

clinique naturally glossy mascara also is goog for glossy,natural looking lashes.

i fell in love with maybelines the falsies feather look mascara. its good. you only need 1 coat. i used to get allergic reactions (like 10 years ago) from their older mascaras so i first didn't want to even try it. But thank god i did :wink:

I swear by Clarins Instant Definition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pappagallo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->