Fashion Assistant: Henry Thomas
Hair by Tomohiro Ohashi
Makeup by Stephanie Kunz
Production by Chloe Case at Streeters
Models: Adrian Bosch & Douglas Neitzke
Photographed by Mark Segal
Image Source: nytimes

1388126232_7d2f6f100a.jpg

FENDI WOOL COAT, $1,850. CALL (800) 336-3469. PRADA SHIRT, $330.
AT SELECT PRADA STORES.

1388125858_4d47b342ca.jpg

FENDI WOOL PANTS, $550. PARADISO BOUDOIR GLOVES. ALL VINTAGE
SCARVES FROM THE GIRL CAN’T HELP IT.

1387229891_cfaf5e3381.jpg

LANVIN HOUNDSTOOTH JACKET WITH KIMONO SLEEVES, ABOUT
$4,200. AT BARNEYS NEW YORK. J.LINDEBERG WOOL PANTS, $920,
AND BELT. AT J.LINDEBERG, 126 SPRING STREET. DIOR HOMME
SHIRT. LANVIN HAT. PARADISO BOUDOIR GLOVES. YVES SAINT
LAURENT SHOES.

1387229635_71caf275e9.jpg

DIOR HOMME HOUNDSTOOTH COAT, $2,080. AT SELECT DIOR HOMME
STORES. J.LINDEBERG PANTS. LANVIN HAT. PARADISO BOUDOIR GLOVES.
YVES SAINT LAURENT SHOES.

1387229545_b8fa6db804.jpg

PRADA OMBRE PLAID WOOL COAT, $3,155. AT SELECT PRADA STORES.
J.LINDEBERG WOOL PANTS, $850. HOOD FROM A HAIRDRESSER SUPPLY
SHOP. PARADISO BOUDOIR GLOVES.

1388124946_54485264ee.jpg

RAF SIMONS COAT WITH HIGH COLLAR AND ZIP POCKETS, ABOUT $1,460,
AND GLOVES. AT BARNEYS NEW YORK. PRADA SHIRT. FENDI PANTS.

Luxe, Calm and Volupté
Styled by Bruce Pask
Stefano Pilati & Melvil Poupaud
All Clothing, Accessories & Shoes by YSL Homme
Photographed by Maciek Kobielski

When it comes to fashion, Stefano Pilati is not afraid to lead by example. As the creative director of Yves Saint Laurent, he embodies the louche elegance of one of the world’s most iconic labels. With his slicked-back hair, carefully groomed beard and lithe figure, Pilati projects an innate sense of elegance. Frayed jeans and tight-fitting clothes are not for him: Pilati identifies with the Old World glamour of tuxedos and scarves. He is seldom seen without a foulard around his neck; he jauntily folds up the sleeves of his figure-skimming suits, which he sometimes cinches with a large safety pin; and he rocks vintage cuff links ‘‘Melvil was a natural choice of model for me,’’ Pilati says. ‘‘There is something real and imperfect about him — he was able to wear the collection effortlessly. In his films, Melvil plays complicated characters — beautiful, conflicted and ultimately tragic. There is a richness and depth to his evocation on screen that resonates with the ideas behind the collection and my work in general at Yves Saint Laurent.’’

1388198910_7ee3467377.jpg

1387302733_d41e6106ed.jpg

1388198202_35841780df.jpg

1387302147_4eaf92945a.jpg

1388197746_d32ae6020b.jpg

1387301431_ef5e732060.jpg

1387300961_bb68f274a4.jpg

THE CAST SYSTEM
Styled by Bruce Mullen
Fashion Assistant: Shandi Alexander
Hair by Diego da Silva
Makeup by Kabuki
Prop Styling by Megan Caponetto
Tailoring by Joel Diaz
Casting by Michelle Lee for KCD Inc.
Models: Eddie Tucker, Armando, James Neate, Sung Ho Yang,
Mikahail Severe and Stan Jouk
Photographed by Jean Baptiste-Mondino

1387340645_7797e621e8.jpg

BRIONI COAT WITH FUR COLLAR, ABOUT $7,500. AT BRIONI STORES.
ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA COUTURE GRAY PINSTRIPE SUIT, $5,695. AT
ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA, 543 MADISON AVENUE. VAN HEUSEN GRAYAND-
WHITE SHIRT, $38. AT MACY’S. TOM FORD SCARF. CHARVET TIE.
JAY KOS POCKET SQUARE. AUDEMARS PIGUET WATCH AND CUFF LINKS.

1388236748_5f2e226923.jpg

BRIONI PRINCE OF WALES SUIT, ABOUT $6,000. TURNBULL & ASSER WHITE-AND
BLUE SHIRT, $285. AT TURNBULL & ASSER, 42 EAST 57TH STREET. DUNCAN QUINN
TIE. CHARVET POCKET SQUARE. PAUL STUART BELT. HARRY WINSTON CUFF LINKS
AND WATCH. BERLUTI SHOE.

1387340453_67511b8109.jpg

GIORGIO ARMANI CHARCOAL PINSTRIPE SUIT, $3,650, AND PURPLE PLAID
VEST, $1,525. AT GIORGIO ARMANI STORES. PAUL SMITH LONDON SHIRT,
ABOUT $220. AT PAUL SMITH, 142 GREENE STREET. BRIONI TIE. CARTIER
CUFF LINKS AND WATCH.

1388236578_81e31b515d.jpg

ETRO GRAY WOOL PINSTRIPE SUIT, $1,590. AT ETRO, 720 MADISON AVENUE.
Z ZEGNA GRAY PINSTRIPE VEST, $245. AT SELECT ERMENEGILDO ZEGNA STORES.
TURNBULL & ASSER WHITE-AND-REDSTRIPED SHIRT, $285. AT TURNBULL &
ASSER. DUNCAN QUINN TIE. BRIONI POCKET SQUARE. VBH BELT. BULGARI CUFF
LINKS AND WATCH.

1388236470_0d4e40ed02.jpg

TOM FORD BLACK-AND-WHITE HOUNDSTOOTH COAT, $4,950, BLACK-GRAY
WHITE- AND-LAVENDER PRINCE OF WALES CHECK SUIT, $4,550, SHIRT, $390,
TIE, POCKET SQUARE, SCARF (WORN AS SLING), BRACELET AND RING. AT
TOM FORD, 845 MADISON AVENUE. BULGARI WATCH AND CUFF LINKS.

1388236276_49d933caf5.jpg

RALPH LAUREN PURPLE LABEL CHARCOAL CHALKSTRIPED SUIT, $4,195,
WHITE-PURPLE-ANDBLACK SHIRT, $350, AND POCKET SQUARE. AT SELECT
RALPH LAUREN STORES. PAUL SMITH TIE. TIFFANY & COMPANY CUFF LINKS,
WATCH AND RING. SANTONI SHOES.

Last edited by a moderator:
This magazine's content is great! I love the styling in the JGl editorial and he always comes across as very intelligent in his interviews. Finally, an actor worth reading about!
I wish I could get hold of this magazine.

wow, i really do love this month's men's fall fashion.
comprehensively i really like the theme and mood it has its own. quite odd but still exquisite.
love it love it.

Thanks for all those great pics, MissMagAddict!!! :clap::clap::clap:

JGL is finally starting to look like a man and not a little boy.He looks great!!
I love all the eds of this issue, especially the one with Pilati and Poupaud

The styling here is great in the sense that everything goes well together, but the clothes look awkward on the male models.

The styling here is great in the sense that everything goes well together, but the clothes look awkward on the male models.

:huh:Well they're men's clothes so they belong on male models:lol:I think they look great^_^

:lol:

MMA, you spoil us in the most violent fashion, rly! :heart:

So many jauntily dressed men in this gem of a thread. I love it.

Styled by Bruce Pask
Grooming by Nathalie Nobs at Artists Paris
Photographed by Jean Baptiste-Mondino

source | scanned by MMA

ENGLISH BEAT
Styled by Bruce Pask
Fashion Associate: Bifen Zu
Production by Sarah Charrington Pureproduction.net
Models: Russell Harris, Scott Simpson, Loz Dischard, Ronnie Roswell, Jamie Clifton,
Jack Hill, Matt Josephs, Tammi Lane & Annabel Ketterer
Photographed by Nan Goldin

image source | nytimes

COATS DE VILLE
Styled by Serge Girardi
Fashion Assistant: Jean-Michel Clerc
Grooming by Terry Saxon at Jed Root
Production by Sarah Math at Chris Boals Artists
Local Production by Virginie Barbarini at 217 RP
Models: Joshua Walter, Toms Birkavs, Jeremy Dufour,
Hugo Sauzay & Godefroy C.D. Francs
Photographed by Matthew Brookes

image source | nytimes

MAN OF THE HOUSE
By Cathy Horyn

Sidney Toledano is one of the most powerful men in fashion; he is also one of the least known. Cathy Horyn pays a visit to Dior's boss.

One evening in June, Sidney Toledano, the 56-year-old chief executive of Dior, was having dinner with his wife, Katia, at L’Ami Louis, the sentimental Paris bistro known for its poulet rôti. The place was crowded and hot, and the old French waiters radiated displeasure. A man at a nearby table, a friend of the couple’s, sent over a bottle of Château Latour, and Toledano, who had removed his coat and tie and was beginning to relax, smiled and thanked the man, who was with a fine-boned English blonde in a white cotton dress. Toledano is tall, with a heavy jaw, a large nose, hooded eyes that glow with intimate interest, and a full head of silvery hair.

Editors consider him good-looking, as if this comes as a surprise to them, and because he is candid and outgoing, without the aggressive charm of other fashion executives, they also feel they can trust what he tells them about the state of Dior, which he has run for the past 10 years.

Somewhere in Toledano’s coat pockets was a pack of cigarettes. He smokes less from anxiety, one feels, than from a need to shepherd a thought or a problem to a satisfactory conclusion. Though intuitive, he admits he does not readily grasp the arbitrary rules of creative genius, but is prepared, nonetheless, to wage a quiet, rational war with them until there is a peace. Once, in his student days — Toledano grew up in Casablanca and studied engineering and mathematics at the Ãcole Centrale Paris — he got a zero on an exam because he spent the entire time working on the first question, which, to his amazement, had stumped him. Yet such determination helps explain Toledano’s reputation as a great manager. Not only does he work effectively with Bernard Arnault, who owns Dior and is the chairman of LVMH, Toledano also manages three designers, with three distinct styles and personalities — John Galliano, Dior’s flamboyant creative director; Victoire de Castellane, its designer of fine jewelry; and Kris Van Assche, the successor to Hedi Slimane, who modernized Dior Homme with sleek tailoring and who was recently cut loose. Toledano helped oversee Fendi, which belongs to LVMH, and that meant, of course, he had to deal with Karl Lagerfeld, who took issue with many things at Fendi but never with Toledano’s management.

As Hamilton South, an owner of a P.R. and marketing firm that once worked for Dior, says, “Sidney is one of the few executives who can actually do the right-brain thing and the left-brain thing perfectly. He’s equally comfortable with John and Burt Tansky,” the chief executive of Neiman Marcus. If there is another C.E.O. in a better position to see the fashion world from all its perspectives, it’s hard to think who that would be.

But in the last year, after leading Dior out of the wilderness of the mid-’90s, when the brand was dowdy and overlicensed, and achieving revenues of more than $800 million, Toledano found himself facing several dramas. The most demanding, and ultimately frustrating, of these were the contract talks with Slimane, which ended in March with Slimane’s departure and which Toledano depicted as “a nightmare.” While this was going on, Galliano sent out a spring collection of stupefying blandness in a seemingly peevish response to a corporate request for more wearable suits. It raised questions about who was really in charge. Then, this spring, barely a week after the Slimane news, Steven Robinson, Galliano’s chief assistant, died of a heart attack at age 38. Robinson played a valuable, if complicated, role at Dior. Not only did he help realize Galliano’s ideas, but he also served as a buffer between the designer and Toledano. It seems unthinkable that the C.E.O. of a major fashion house would not have direct contact with its star designer, but early on Toledano accepted that Galliano needed to have people around him. Toledano admits, “Sometimes, yes, it bothers me, because I want to be sure of things.” He adds, “I understand his genius.
I still don’t know him personally.”

Now it was early June. Toledano was to show the first collection by Slimane’s successor, Van Assche. He felt that Dior Homme would not suffer without Slimane — “provided we get a good buzz with Kris,” he says. “If we do the right products, I don’t think it will be a problem.” (At the showing, some editors could not see any virtue in Van Assche’s baggy trousers and wondered, after Slimane’s decisive gestures, at his puppyish sophistication.) Toledano was also involved in plans for Dior’s 60th anniversary and couture extravaganza at Versailles, on July 2, which called for fireworks, Spanish dancers, food and drink for 2,000 guests — at a cost of millions.

The waiter at L’Ami Louis uncorked the wine, and, as plates of escargots began to arrive, the actor Gérard Depardieu entered and took a seat behind Toledano, so that the two men were shoulder to shoulder. Depardieu is built like a house, and his white shirt barely hid his belly. Toledano had the waiter pour the actor a glass of the Latour. As Depardieu buried his nose in the glass and inhaled deeply, Toledano watched him, his arms folded across his chest. Depardieu took a swig and, in a tone that bordered on stinginess, said he thought that it smelled better than it tasted. Toledano regarded him placidly and pointed to the label. Depardieu smiled sheepishly.

One of the qualities that soon becomes apparent about Toledano is how completely at ease he is in his own skin. He is not the least bit arrogant, but, at the same time, very little impresses him. Once, referring to his relationship with Arnault, with whom he speaks almost daily, Toledano said: “He’s a great guy. But I don’t need to tell him that. I’ve never told him that and he’s never said it to me, either.” He loves his job — one of his favorite things is to drop into the Dior flagship on Avenue Montaigne, which he does every Saturday — but he has not been affected by it. In this respect, he says, he is a lot like Galliano. “Being president of this company has not changed who I am,” he says. “Obviously I enjoy a nice office. But in the morning, when I’m having my cup of coffee in the kitchen, I’m in my T-shirt.

I make my coffee myself. We’ve not been influenced by the fashion world.” He has been married to the same woman for 26 years. They have two daughters and a son. He speaks movingly of his upbringing in Morocco, particularly of his 87-year-old father, who fought with the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War and, being Jewish, was expelled from Vichy France.

Ralph Toledano, the chief executive of Chloé, who, though not related, has known the family all his life, says, “We never talk about money or power. It was all about being proud of our name — it’s very, very important. And being honest. I think honesty is one of the most important things to Sidney.”

Still, Toledano is very much a figure in the fashion world. If he is seductive and charismatic, as South suggests, it may be because the qualities he possesses — empathy, modesty — are magnified beyond normal range by the pedantry of the fashion business. Even so, there is something particular in his character that goes beyond a mere ability to listen well. As South put it, “You could pick him up tomorrow and drop him into Time Warner, and he would be a rock star the same way he is at Dior. He just has it somehow.”

continued...

Although Toledano has spent most of his adult life in Paris, and says that his degree from the Ãcole Centrale provided him with “a passport” into French business circles, it is clear that his Moroccan background has been a sustaining influence. He is descended from a family that lived in Toledo, Spain, and left in 1492. His father, who was born near Tangier, ran a paper company, and in 1945, when the American army arrived in Casablanca, he did business with it. “My father was crazy about the Americans,” Toledano told me one day at Dior headquarters. “This is why my name is Sidney.” Good clothes were integral to his parents’ social life. Ralph Toledano recalls, “Our fathers were dressed perfectly, in custom-made suits and shirts. Our mothers would go to afternoon teas.” He adds, “His mother was one of the most beautiful women in Casablanca.”

Sidney excelled at math, and after college, he joined the research outfit A.C. Nielsen, creating mathematical models for marketing. He spent more than a year in Brazil, followed by Minneapolis, experiences that deepened his taste for big corporations. So it was a surprise, he says, when, in 1982, he accepted an offer from a Moroccan friend he’d met one day on the Avenue Montaigne to help run his children’s shoe factory in return for 30 percent equity. Talking up the entrepreneurial benefits, the friend perhaps simplified the firm’s shaky finances. “I never worked so much in my life,” Toledano says reflectively. A year later he joined Lancel, a French handbag company, learning everything about the leather-goods business. In 1993, at the urging of a friend at LVMH, Toledano met with Arnault, who was looking for someone to revamp Dior’s accessories.

Arnault had bought Dior in bankruptcy court in 1985. But while he took a special interest in the house, its image a decade later was still tired. Galliano, who was personally hired by Arnault in 1996 over the objections of François Baufumé, then the president, recalls the atmosphere: “The showroom was like a village fete. They’d spent all the budget on the floral decorations, and there’d be jackets hanging up with no buttons. Everybody knew what had to be done, but there was no one with the drive and energy to spark people.” At his first meeting with Arnault, Toledano had been warned not to expect him to talk. Instead he talked a blue streak. “He wanted to compete with Chanel,” Toledano says. “He didn’t ask me so much about my career. He just checked my education quickly. The decision to hire me was made that night.”

Fashion insiders wonder how Toledano, who became president in 1998, is able to deal with Arnault, whose demands often appear contradictory. As Michael Burke, the president of Fendi, puts it, “He wants the sun, the moon and the stars — and he wants it to be a commercial success.” The morning after Galliano’s famous Austerlitz show, in July 1998, which kept guests waiting more than an hour in the heat, lasted all of 10 minutes and cost over $2 million, Arnault told Toledano, “You have to change that.” Today, Toledano says Galliano was not really to blame. “We didn’t have any procedures. People were afraid to talk to John.” In any case, both Arnault and Toledano say they rarely have a conflict, and maybe this is because, after 14 years, there is very little they don’t know about each other.

Toledano says, “Sometimes he calls me in the morning before I leave for the office. He says, ‘Ça va bien?’ And sometimes I say, ‘No, things are not going well.’ And he says, ‘Then let’s talk.’ Frankly, the man is not what the press describes. He gives me freedom. He likes to be informed, but you can take risks here — with John, with Hedi, with Victoire.”

Slimane’s negotiations to have his own men’s and women’s label were a hot topic in the fashion world all last year, and by summer Toledano and Arnault made no secret they were at an impasse with the designer. For Toledano, it was especially frustrating, since, as he says, “we never had a personal conflict.” Whereas with Galliano, he often had to go through Steven Robinson, Toledano always had direct contact with Slimane. “Intellectually, we connect,” he says. “He’s Tunisian and he’s Parisian.”

He says Slimane wanted to control every aspect of his proposed label, even the choice of receptionist. “I tried to explain to him that I could not give him more control than I had myself.” Arnault’s version of the breakdown differs slightly: “I told Hedi that if I put some money into his brand — and it takes a lot of money to start a brand today — then I wanted a share of the action. I did this with Marc Jacobs and with John. And Hedi said, ‘No, give me the money and you get nothing.’ ” Arnault paused, smiling. “I said, ‘Hedi, you’ve got to come back to reality.’ ” (Slimane could not be reached for comment.)

With Galliano, paradoxically, contracts have never been a problem, Toledano says. “He wants to know what he’s going to get, I give him a figure, and John says thank you.” Yet, while Galliano describes his relationship with Toledano as productive and honest — “just hands on the table” — the designer occasionally registers his displeasure by giving him what Toledano calls John’s “black eye.” The gesture is recognizably Latin, intended to respectfully but emphatically make a point. Toledano recalls getting the black eye soon after the Austerlitz show, when Galliano complied with executives’ request for a simpler collection. It was not a success. Toledano laughs and says, “He was, like, ‘You want simple? Be my guest.’ ”

Last October, Galliano seemed to be making a similar point with his bland “store” suits. Arnault maintains the collection was started too late. But Galliano says, “It was a commercial request to produce suits that were not fitted and covered women’s ***es.” He added, more delicately, “ ‘Fesse,’ they call it here. ‘Cover the fesse.’ It sounds more chic."

But did he say to Toledano that the style was not Dior, that it was not fashionable?

“I think I said all those things,” Galliano replies. “He was aware, but that was the direction.”

He and Toledano agree that this was the mandate, though it’s unclear who gave the order. In any case, Galliano says, “I did that show with complete conviction. I gave them what they wanted. The results were I had to refit every single jacket.” In January, he roared back with his Madame Butterfly couture collection, which had record orders, followed by superb ready-to-wear shows in March for both Dior and his own label.

Toledano concedes that it’s always a mistake to be too specific with Galliano: “There’s kind of auto-fixing with John, the way you have with someone when there is an understanding.” Toledano may not know everything about his star designer. On the other hand, maybe his strength as a manager is how he protects Galliano a little bit from the world. A few months ago, he was waiting for Galliano to arrive at a small party at Arnault’s home. Arnault was getting a Légion d’Honneur, and Galliano was late. Nicolas Sarkozy and Tony Blair were there. Finally, escorted by Toledano, Galliano entered dressed in black, with a T-shirt and a cap. “He didn’t realize that official people were going to be there,” Toledano says.
“He said, ‘Sidney, I feel like a terrorist.’ ” Toledano chuckles. “This is John. And then everybody was so excited to talk to him.”

JGL is so great... he, Shia, Paul Dano and Emile Hirsch are really ushering in a new era of great actors.

And he looks pretty damn good too! :crush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->