Thrift Stores

Toxxxic

Reaction score
I don't know about any of you guys but thrift store shopping is an orgasmic experience for me, and to think I was just introduced to the heaven of second-hand stores. I like how exciting it is to go to a thrift store because you never know what to expect and the pricing is amazing. I went from buying shirts that average between $20-$150 to now buying excellent shirts at onl $2! Also I love vintage tees and the vintage t-shirt I find at thrift shop are far more authethic than the one at Abercrombie. So yes please tell me of your experiences with thift stores and your best find. My best finds are these red Polo shoes and a 1989 Motley Crue t-shirt.

Originally posted by Toxiiic@Mar 20th, 2004 - 8:39 pm
I don't know about any of you guys but thrift store shopping is an orgasmic experience for me
I dont know about your thrift store... but if I was having any experience like that, the lady at my thrift store would kick my *** out. :wink: :P

Oh yeah.. and I :heart: finding stuff in thrift stores!

:lol:

I am addicted to The Salvation Army, etc. Honestly. :blush:

A year ago, I was repulsed by the idea of secondhand clothing, but now half my wardrobe consists of it. You find great things, unusual things, and basic things. I have cotton shirts, handbags, shoes... I'm not a working girl, I have a VERY small clothing budget.. I don't know what I'd do without the thrifts. =D

Sorry about all the 'I's in that. :lol:

Originally posted by TheSoCalledPrep@Mar 20th, 2004 - 8:59 pm
:lol:

I am addicted to The Salvation Army, etc. Honestly. :blush:

A year ago, I was repulsed by the idea of secondhand clothing, but now half my wardrobe consists of it. You find great things, unusual things, and basic things. I have cotton shirts, handbags, shoes... I'm not a working girl, I have a VERY small clothing budget.. I don't know what I'd do without the thrifts. =D

Sorry about all the 'I's in that. :lol:
I would severely hope that you're not a "working girl"...

Usually those girls hang out on the corners of 8th Ave. :wink:

OMFG Luna your hilarious! :lol:

Yup I WAS once disgusted with the idea of wearing someone else clothes but hey thats why we have washer and dryer :heart:

I love thrift store shopping. I can get all kinds of great stuff that no one else has. I have gotten tons of designer (most authentic) bags from thrifts for 2 and 3 bucks. I found a vintage (from the 70s) LV in the trash at one just last week.

I :heart: :heart: :heart: Thrift Shopping like you have no idea! OMG so many cool vintage tees I have found there...and some designer stuff, like my Vintage beaded Dior belt... that thing must be expensive now :lol:

i love the salvation army. and i love how the people that shop there look at me like im a crazy rich white girl shopping there.

Does anyone know of any good thrift stores in the Washington DC area?

how do you guys FIND things in consignment stores? I have such a hard time! I've only found two, a Ralph polo and an Armani tie.

Also, is The Salvation Army actually a good place for vintage things?

I usually don't find that much in thrift stores, but I did manage to pick up these. $5 at Goodwill... :P (They're actually more pink than peach, my camera's just a bit off)

Attachments

• shoespink.jpg
    shoespink.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 6
Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Mar 21st, 2004 - 2:32 pm
I usually don't find that much in thrift stores, but I did manage to pick up these. $5 at Goodwill... :P (They're actually more pink than peach, my camera's just a bit off)
Oh, Purple! those are fab! :flower:

I just the coolest pair of Feragamos (sp?) the other day! They're white leather pumps with a black rounded toe and heel- and I got 'em for eight bucks! I spent about fourty-five bucks and got two new pairs of shoes, a cowboy hat, and a bag!

I got a Prada Jacket at a second hand store, it was brand new! SOme people buy so much clothes every season and forget to wear it, so they just sell it to a second hand store because it's out of season

thrifting is my little area of expertise that I am constantly in the process of refining to an art form. :wink: I would prefer thrifting to vintage stores even, because the thrill of the find is just as great as the find itself. the trick is to just have patience and enjoy the theraputic value of flicking through racks of clothes and imaging what things might look like on, how they might be altered, etc. some of my best (but just a few) thrifting scores are...

- very rare vintage rosina ferragamo schiavone (salvatores sister who designed between 1960 and 1975) stilettos, ivory leather with 'flame' detailing in yellow, green and blue snakeskin
- vintage perry ellis flats, white and gold horizontally striped from the 1960's
- vintage givenchy tulip skirt in navy blue wool, probably from the 70's?
- brown suede coat with fur collar and large button detailing, vintage from the 1920's
- tiny ivory clutch with tarnished bronze rose clasp, vintage from the 1970's perhaps? looks very much like carrie bradshaw's beloved bag :heart:

Originally posted by shoe_gal_04@Mar 21st, 2004 - 2:09 pm
Does anyone know of any good thrift stores in the Washington DC area?
"The Mustard Seed"- it is just outside of DC but right on the metro line. I can find the address for you etc, if you wish. Tons of jeans, cords... Not the greatest but I think quite good for the DC area? :unsure:

fox in the snow,

would you happen to know what metro stop it is at?

Love them!
I'm actually wearing a vintage YSL Rive Gauche blazer today (that I bought the whole suit for ten bucks and it fit perfect, which is VERY rare with men's suiting). I'm wearing it over an OLD Mickey Mouse tshirt that I bought years ago for a quarter.
Half of my house is decorated from thrift stores as well: 1950s patterned dishes and glasses, cool mod swag lamps and the most incredible orange vinyl chairs that look like a curved Barcelona chair ($24 each) that I'm thinking of having reupholstered in white leather/vinyl. The other stuff that I buy I sell/trade at antique stores to get what I really want. I'm working on getting trade for 2 pairs of Eames wire chairs this week--wish me luck.

Originally posted by purechris@Mar 23rd, 2004 - 10:22 am
Love them!
I'm actually wearing a vintage YSL Rive Gauche blazer today (that I bought the whole suit for ten bucks and it fit perfect, which is VERY rare with men's suiting). I'm wearing it over an OLD Mickey Mouse tshirt that I bought years ago for a quarter.
Half of my house is decorated from thrift stores as well: 1950s patterned dishes and glasses, cool mod swag lamps and the most incredible orange vinyl chairs that look like a curved Barcelona chair ($24 each) that I'm thinking of having reupholstered in white leather/vinyl. The other stuff that I buy I sell/trade at antique stores to get what I really want. I'm working on getting trade for 2 pairs of Eames wire chairs this week--wish me luck.
love the look you're sporting purecris...

never find bargains like that in NYC...not even at the salvation army...

good luck with the chairs! :flower:

Today I found the coolest Enid Collins tote at the thrift shop. It is a 1965. It is just wat I've been looking for. Now I know I have an handbag no one else will be carrying. The best thing is the price was 1 dollar.

for anyone that lives in los angeles California, bufflo exchange is a great second hand store. they buy, sell and trade clothes. there is also one in san diego. im not sure where else though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->