Timless Fashion Pieces Everyone Should Own...

kiwigrape

Reaction score
what are clothing pieces everyone should have in their wardrobe?!

doesn't matter what style someone follows there are basic essentials everyone should have. these are my "must have" list.

1) basic T-shirt (black and white)
2) casual jeans
3) black little dress
4) sneaker
5) blazer
6) leather jacket
7) black turtle neck
8) boots

I think the right accessories are more important, to be honest. because they elevate and bring a certain style together that you're trying to pull. if I could really recommend one accessory piece to everyone to own it would be one sunglass that really fits you and describes your style. every other piece is up to someone's style. doesn't matter how much my taste changes, these are pieces in my wardrobe that I use no matter what.

I'm not a woman so I don't have an LBD, but even aside from that I'm not sure I agree with this list, conceptually or specifically.

Specifically, some items are considered basics/staples that I just don't like. And as I've recently gotten rid of a ton of things I never wore or wanted to wear, I can tell you I currently don't own a single pair of blue jeans, a leather jacket, or boots (unless you count garden boots? But I haven't worn a leather boot in several years)

Generally, my attitude is less that everyone should own specific items and more that everyone should own appropriate things for whatever situations they're likely to encounter (a funeral, a job interview, a black-tie event, for instance) but in most cases, the specifics should just be up to their individual taste. I can't think of a scenario where I'd need a leather jacket or need a black turtleneck (even though I happen to love black turtlenecks). I'm less interested in obtaining a somewhat arbitrary list of staples than I am in growing a collection of items I actually love and look forward to wearing.

Of course, everything depends on individual style. I don't have exactly everything from the above list either, but I do have variations and versions of them that suit my personal style and taste. Here I am emphasizing not what should be the dominant components of the wardrobe. as a base to create many looks with pieces you own. however, I agree with what you said. doesn't matter how timeless something might be if it doesn't fit someone's taste it shouldn't be just put on the shelve just to the person to own it.

Reactions: KoV
KoV, a contrarian after my own heart :lol: I feel the same way, I think there almost is no universal list. A black turtleneck is definitely not a thing in my wardrobe because I have very little neck and can't cover it up (otherwise it would look like my head was sitting pretty directly on my shoulders). I went years without owning an LBD, though I have a number of black dresses now. I live in a warm climate and I think I have one pair of very low boots, but for years had none. I also dislike blue jeans--though I do have some, a pair of denim trousers and another pair of sailor pants--and instead prefer my wide selection of colored jeans. I own a pair of Converse, but that's my only pair of sneakers, rarely worn.

I agree that it's good to be prepared for most if not all situations you might need to dress for, just like the royal family have multiple funeral outfits prepped at any given time, it couldn't hurt us to have one. The last thing you want is to have to shop under stress.

The biggest mistake I've made in the (now distant) past was to allow certain linchpin pieces to become so important that I was lost without them (following wear, or the dry cleaners dropping something into their black hole). It's important to build options (not necessarily duplicates) and I think some variety into your wardrobe (though people who wear a 'uniform' would disagree).

Reactions: KoV
^same here - I live in a warm climate, a leather jacket or boots have no real place in my wardrobe especially considering our weather. I have no real use for jeans either as I don't find them suited to my taste (not worn a single pair since 2020 and no that's not because I've been wearing leggings or trackie bottoms instead!), basic white t shirts are also a no since they do nothing for me it has to be grey or pink instead.

Like you said, there's no universal list and most of these 'must-have list' roundups sound like they're strictly tailored to the point of view of people who live in temperate weather. It's more useful to consider your own life and lifestyle first.

One of the biggest style lessons I've learned is to ignore "the tyranny of the T-shirt" and stop trying to wear the classic style - they look good if you have a lot of straight lines in your body, but if you have curves (and round shoulders), it looks like a ill-fitting sack, because the item was not made with you in mind.

^yes, for me a t shirt is generally something I'd wear at home, not when I have to be seen outside in public unless it's under a jacket (and even then it's iffy unless it has a graphic). Something about an uninterrupted expanse of 'one block' on top just does not work for me, no matter how classic the style is or how good it looks on other people - I prefer button-ups for that reason, the collar and placket are essential. Maybe a polo shirt style is ok but otherwise, I give them the skip. Even mock necks or roll neck/funnel neck styles are ok, the neckline frames the face but a t shirt in its most basic form is just not my cup of tea.

There are T-shirts made for women! In the past I liked to get Armani ones from Yoox.

^I go for those as long as they have some kind of graphic (NOT A logo! Unless it's the CDG PLAY heart) on the front. T shirts are something I prefer to buy only in person, it's difficult to judge fabric thickness, cut etc online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->