Basic Wardrobe Staples

Caramel

Reaction score
We might have had a topic like this before, but I couldn't find it :unsure:

I'm trying to put together a list of all the basic pieces I should have in my wardrobe, to avoid having a wardrobe filled with clothes but never anything to wear. Therefore I'm asking you, what are your essential pieces, for all year round, winter additions, summer additions, accessories, underwear, evening etc.??

all year around - ribbed tank tops. you can pair them with anything: jeans, skirts, shorts, capris... and you can dress them up if you want.

i cant say much about winter because i live in florida. i even wear those tank tops during the winter.

All year round - Yves SaintLaurent black, four button, high-gorge suit in wool; Jaeger double-breasted grey and black herringbone with aquamarine threads to create Tromp L'Oeil suit also in wool; and a single button, deep gorge notch-lapel Dolce & Gabbana suit in dark navy wool (very slim and elegant).

Winter additions Green leather gloves from god knows where, fur stole, 3/4 length Christian Dior Monsieur overcoat in black wool herringbone with double-breast and notch-lapels (soon to have stitched blue leather belt attached around middle which has recently had belt-loops added by the tailors)

Summer additions Ivory white, two-button, deep-gorge, single-breasted suit by Gianfranco Ferre Studio in linen/silk.

Accessories Handkerchiefs - bloomin' loads of them in every colour imaginable, all linen as silk may be flashy but doesn't fold well. Shoes - bloomin' lots of 'em - mainly Oxfords. Ties, many, a lot of vintage YSL and new Hugo Boss and Canali...

Underwear Boxers, briefs, boxers, briefs, sports-briefs...

Evening Black double breasted suit by Christian Dior Monsieur with crimson and silver pinstripe in wool. Heavily padded shoulders.

My staples are high-quality knitwear; basically different kinds of wool for winter, cotton for summer. Sweaters, cardigans. Rollnecks, turtlenecks, crewnecks, v-necks. In black, white, grey, beige, navy. They go with everything. They dress down more formal stuff and dress up sloppier stuff, like jeans. Good shoes are of course also important...

Almost everything I own are basics, or quirkier stuff that was never "it".

My staples are at least 1 of everyting in black (NYC, what can you do :lol: ).

Like tott, my favorite items are knitwear. I love sweaters (some are real collector's items), and I like fall/winter in general because you can do so much more. For summer I wear a ton of t-shirts (CDG basic t-shirts fit me best). I think one should splurge on a good piece of outerwear and take care of it so it lasts you through the years - my black leather jacket by Costume National is a staple and not only I'm not tired of it after 5 years of wearing it, but I'm planning on wearing it forever.

I feel that investing in good basic jeans are worth it.

I've invested in a few basic short sleeve and long sleeve tops (like vests or t-shirts). You don't need to spend too much and you can wear them formal/informal and in winter and summer.

I'm not too big on trousers but, as has been mentioned, a good pair of jeans will stand the test of time.

I've got a long denim skirt which is another staple of mine. Skirts can be tricky as lengths go up and down all the time so ignore fashion and find a length that flatters you and buy a few to team with new purchases.

For the summer I've got a selection of clothes in light fabrics like skirts and strappy tops that always come out when it's hot.

Black trousers in differing fabric weights depending on season. Black is the old black; this goes without saying. Black matches with practically everything, doesn't show if you spill tea on yourself first thing when you get to the office, and can be re-dyed when it starts to get shabby.

I have a couple of black skirts in different lengths and styles, too. I agree with Veronica--ignore whatever length is supposed to be fashionable and just go with what looks good for you. Also, I hang onto shapes that might no longer be strictly the height of fashion. Those ankle-length A-line skirts that everyone wore circa 1997-1998? Major part of my working wardrobe. It makes muscular, medium-height me look a lot taller and more streamlined.

Plain or plainish tee-shirt type or tank-tops. Great for layering, great for ordinary casual wear, excellent for adding inexpensive variety. Stripes and other patterns are great too. I have a couple of lacey tanks I use as camisols, especially as a "modesty layer" under a cropped longer-sleeved shirt if I am wearing it for work.

Black shoes--or in my case black boots. Again, black goes with practically everything, and in my case, since I have a slightly punky style the black boots are forced to go with everything.

Opaque tights in patterns, textures, colors, ect. A cool pair of tights can make a rather dull outfit much more interesting. Even just a pair of ribbed or herringbone-pattern black tights can give a regular work outfit a little more interest,

Scarves. If you have a scarf, you have about five different outfits. You can wear it around your neck, you can wear it around your waist, you can wear it around your head, in your hair, you can go all 1980s and tie it to a limb. Scarves are great wardrobe extenders because they tend to be pretty affordable and you can integrate colors and prints into your wardrobe in a controlled quantity, so as not to look too busy. Even better, the placement of a scarf can really change the look of an outfit, and a scarf with the right combination of colors can really pull two garments together.

Originally posted by Dixie@Jun 8th, 2004 - 1:04 am
I feel that investing in good basic jeans are worth it.
Agreed! One must have one pair of perfect dont-ever-get-tired of jeans.
*Nice dress black & white shirt
*One black suit and one for daytime (think light brown/camel)
*A nice little frock ... think of it as nice summer dress
*Two nice bathing suits ... I really like the Missoni ones, and another with a nice print would suffice
*Some perfect coat ... generally I'd for three colors blue, black and some other on a light color like white, gray or camel.
*Underwear ... this is one of the things were i think you'll have to spend $$$, why? Not because trying to look sex-ay or trying to please your significant other ... it's just a matter of taste and the fact that -God, it may never happen- you may have an incident/accident and those pieces may show.
*Regarding shoes, you may not buy much, keep it basic but buy durable, timeless pieces ... another thing you shudn't worry about spending a lot ... you wear 'em everyday and you have no idea how many people judge you by the shoes you're wearing.
*I'd suggest one pair of sunglasses and one of "reading" ones (if you dont need correction ... well... you may use to refresh your eyesight or to block those radiation from computer/tv screens) :P
*Must-must have some nice messenger bag/nice wallet and a reasonable amount of bags (one may be used for everyday use, a couple for night ... mostly day bags) ... in here, leather is the choice.
Hum ... more to come ..can't think of anymore now ..

I've often heard the phrase 'capsule wardrobe'. What makes a capsule wardrobe? and what would be your choices?

i don't understand...please explain...

thx... :unsure:

Curiosity got to me...an as far as I found out a capsule wardrobe means that you have some key items (essentials) in your wardrobe that everything is going to go with.
In other words a capsule wardrobe is the glue that makes your wardrobe come together.

Could it be like the idea of a time capsule...

Like one would choose a few pieces of clothing representative of their style/era for future generations?

Just a guess.

I wasn't 100% sure what one was either, but I think Hanne explained it perfectly.

So what would be your key essential choices?

Edit: I like chocsta's definition too. Maybe it's an element of the two, ie. key elements (pieces of clothing) that define your style, like boho= wide belt, fur, loose embroidered tunic, ethnic jewelry, patchwork etc

Generally I'd say essesntials would be:

a frill-less white or creme coloured shirt
a good quality white t-shirt slightly figure hugging.
a black (or brown..depending on your basic colour of choice) skirt (around knee-lenght)
a pair of black or brown trousers that doesn't scream a certain season
a pair of classic black or brown flats
a pair of classic black or brown heels
a slightly fitted jacket in black or brown

But it differs..most important is that it works for your wardrobe :wink:
you get the idea.. :flower:

My base pieces:

Dark denim skinny jeans
Black yoga pants
A white blouse
A black turtleneck
A denim miniskirt
A fur coat
Large diamond earrings
Black pointy stiletto boots
Black sandals
White sandals

OK I'd say mine are

also dark blue jeans
denim skirt
white fitted shirt
black pencil skirt (not so tight)
long beige skirt
leather jacket
scarf that triples up as a belt of head scarf
gym ensemble
trainers
boots (black and brown)
sandals (white and black)
wetsuit

I dont know if this has been done before, so forgive me if it has...

Today, before I got dressed, i opened my wardorbe and discovered I had NOTHING to wear. Now this is strange because my wardrobe door wont close because theres like a million items of clothing in there.
This got me thinking about an article that I had read about having the basics ands how "Youll never have nothing to wear again". Now according to this article, i needed only a certain nujmber of items that would make me the queen of style.

The items were:

A white shirt
one pair of black pants
one perfect pair of jeans
couple of different colours of v necks
2 white tess
2 black tess
a black skirt
a winter coat
a summer jacket

To me thats sounds crazy because i dont think i could only wear those items (even if i was mixin and matching with trendy pieces)

What does everyone else think? Do you have a staple item that you think is ESSENTIAL to your wardrobe?

Here are mine. There may be more, but I forget.
v White blouse
v Great peacoat (cut to hip)
v Tall black boots
v Midi black skirt
v Black kid gloves
v Red high heels
v Cable knits
v Red pumps
v Black wrap dress
v Denim jacket
v Trench coat
v Leather jacket
v Perfect bag
v Perfectly tailored suit (versatile)
v Great Hat (i love large brims or cloches)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->