Tina Chow

Images from Antonio's girls by Antonio Lopez. (scanned by me)

Attachments

• antonio_tina.jpg
    antonio_tina.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 149
  • antonio_tina2.jpg
    antonio_tina2.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 57
Last edited by a moderator:
That is interesting, cause I thought Micheal was intolerant of AIDS sufferers

^I wouldn't know. I thought perhaps his attitude toward Tina's illness was related to his personal feelings of that betrayal. Again, I can't pretend to know anything about that....but it must be very different when it's on a very personal level.

An amazing lot of Tina memorabilia was up for bidding on ebay recently here are some photos:

They are the Flair book, and invitations and response cards from Christie's and Mirabella for a cocktail reception in honor of the her couture collection.

ebay.com, allazoppa

Attachments

• tina-d.jpg
    tina-d.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 52
  • tina-b.jpg
    tina-b.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 44
It's the lowest price at which the seller is willing to sell the item at. Bidders have to "bid up" to that price.

Attachments

• cooganDM2701_468x639.jpg
    cooganDM2701_468x639.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 76
Two commercials starring Tina when she was known as Tina Lutz:

http://youtubech.com/test/read.cgi/qB98Rg_4YX8/tag/ティナ・ラッツ/l50

The first video for Look Chocolate (I think), and the Shiseido Beauty Cake one.

The New York Times (nytimes.com)
September 12, 2004

POSSESSED
East Meets West in a Blurred Embrace

By DAVID COLMAN
T'S a testament to the disfavor in which ambiguity is held in Western culture that the word blur is nearly always a slur. Really, isn't it all a blur?

"Western thinking is much more about black and white," said the fashion designer Derek Lam, himself a fuzzy cross of cultures — the product of a defiantly Westernized Chinese father and a devoutly traditional Chinese mother. "Asian culture emphasizes the gray areas."

Ergo, what even enlightened Westerners still see as the mysterious East is no mystery at all but merely a different style, one that forgoes the poles of black and white to revel in all the gradations in between. And Mr. Lam's prized talisman, while it might puzzle the Western eye with its duality, is to him a perfect expression of the Asian passion for balance.

Equal parts necklace and bud vase, the object was the creation of Tina Chow, one of his early role models. It is a heavy, three-inch pendant, a hollow eggplant of highly polished black nephrite, which hangs from a delicate hand-knotted silk cord. The pendant's shape is reminiscent of "pebble form" snuff bottles of 18th-century China, before more ornamental styles became popular. It also recalls the ornate necklace-mounted solid-perfume compacts that enjoyed vogues in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Without a lid, it is essentially without purpose, as if form got sick of following function and went its own way.

Ms. Chow also forged her own path, doing turns as a model, a socialite in the art and fashion worlds, the wife of the restaurateur Michael Chow, a collector of vintage couture and, finally, a talented jewelry designer before dying of AIDS in 1992. Mr. Lam recalls being intrigued by Ms. Chow 20 years ago, when he was newly graduated from high school in San Francisco and spotted her in Vogue. At first, he did not like her.

"She was wearing this geisha makeup, and I thought, `God, here we go again,' " he said. But then, as he saw photographs of her in a variety of guises, he grew to like her irreverent spirit. As a boy, he was often unhappy to see Asians stereotyped as serious and nerdy. "It was interesting to finally see someone who was Asian and who was living life out of the box," he said. "She was such a noncliché."

Mr. Lam's spring fashion show, which takes place today, is a valentine to another exotic, Josette Fabien. In 1930's Singapore, she was the older lover of a 19-year-old gigolo named Helmut Newton, whom she encouraged to practice photography. Mr. Lam's collection celebrates Fabien's pre-air-conditioned glamour. Blond and fair, she wore sheer, form-fitting dresses that married Western hedonism with Asian handiwork, a flair recalled in a thin lace dress Mr. Lam will show with a sheer underslip painstakingly finished by his Chinese seamstresses. It is a balance that the muscly and very unnerdy Mr. Lam himself likes to strike, both on and off the job.

As for the pendant — only a handful of examples were made — it spends most of its life hanging next to Mr. Lam's bedside table, sometimes holding a single orchid bloom. The placement is appropriate, since it was given to him by a former lover. There, he can contemplate its essentially blurry nature — lovely to hold, but hard to grasp.

Attachments

• 12poss.1.jpg
    12poss.1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 40
Tina and Jerry Hall (I'm so sorry to anyone that likes Jerry Hall, but I find her very unattractive). It was taken 3.18.88.

richardyoungonline.com

Attachments

• 9106_large.jpg
    9106_large.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 70
gettyimages.com

Sorry for the watermark...

2 pics with Andy Warhol and Nick Rhodes at Mr. Chow's from Aug. 1985

2 pics from Tina and Michael's wedding day in London.

Attachments

• 74712947.jpg
    74712947.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 52
  • 3241925.jpg
    3241925.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 3241939-1.jpg
    3241939-1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 74712946-1.jpg
    74712946-1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 46
From "This Must Be the Place: The Adventures of Talking Heads in the Twentieth Century By David Bowman:

In 1966, Tina's family moved back to Tokyo where her sister Adelle became the head model for Shiseido... "I was cute by comparison," Tina Chow said. "But Adelle was beautiful."

afterphoto.com

Tina in and with Fortuny.

eduardomomene.com

Same photo in color, or "colored in".

Attachments

• tinachow.jpg
    tinachow.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 63
  • chow11.jpg
    chow11.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 96
3 pairs of earrings attributed to Tina Chow. They were estimated at $250-500, and went for $3,000!

Which is fine, since I really like her bamboo and crystal stuff more than these earrings.

ebay.com skinnerinc

Attachments

• 10258_1_lg.jpg
    10258_1_lg.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 51
3 pairs of earrings attributed to Tina Chow. They were estimated at $250-500, and went for $3,000!

Which is fine, since I really like her bamboo and crystal stuff more than these earrings.

ebay.com skinnerinc

i love her crystal stuff.:heart: i fell so lucky to own a tina chow crystal necklace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->