Tom Ford - Designer

^^^ Jerry’s FOG is... decent:shrugs: (...Wouldn't pay for it. But if someone's generous enough to gift me with some of those cashmere hoodies, I'd take it...)

So many news in one press release…
Good for Tom Ford the man and Tom Ford the brand. In a way having each licencee being totally in control of their part is not bad in terms of consistency, quality of product and the whole thing.
At least with Zegna, we can be sure we won’t have a Supreme/Stussy collab.

I’m a bit concerned regarding Tom’s future tho. I wonder how much of it was motivated by the loss of his husband and if being at the creative helm until the end of 2023 means that he will totally be out of the company…

I can see him being involved like Mugler was with his brand. With a brand so strong in aesthetic and with it aesthetic being so linked to the living founder, it’s not easy…
We will definitely learn more in the next weeks/months.

I’m definitely for Alexandre Vauthier doing the womenswear, Peter Hawkings doing the menswear under the supervision of Tom Ford that will handle the beauty and marketing at first to smooth the transition. He will be like DVF in a way…

As much as I like a one voice brand, there are examples that proved that it can work without hurting the brand.

I’m excited for whatever Tom has in mind…Directing, being a photographer…as long as he is not doing a « Helmut Lang ».

LOL Helmut Lang the label was the first casualty of corporate fcukery: It’s actually hilarious how it only got worse and worse with each subsequent rebranding, to the current state that it’s not even remotely identifiable to OG Helmut Lang.

Helmut the man also bowed out gracefully— and at the height of his influence. His art I couldn’t care less about. Then again, I find the art industry— and it is absolutely an industry, far more insufferable than whatever Frankenstein’s Monster the fashion industry has devolved into.

I hope the best for Tom, of whichever creative direction he forges forward now. His personal life is his own business, and should he disappear altogether form the fashion industry, his legacy is epic and remains untouchable. Just simply a colossal fashion titan that I’m so grateful to have experienced from his very beginning to this most untarnished end.

(I hope Peter Hawkins won’t be designing, acting as Creative Director of the menswear. Not if a talent like Haider is an option. On a personal level, the way that Peter dresses makes my skin crawl; It’s so by-the-numbers sartorial. And how douchey types from my neck of the woods dress.)

I hope the best for Tom, of whichever creative direction he forges forward now. His personal life is his own business, and should he disappear altogether form the fashion industry, his legacy is epic and remains untouchable. Just simply a colossal fashion titan that I’m so grateful to have experienced from his very beginning to this most untarnished end.

He's going to be fine financially, being several hundred million dollars richer is nothing to sneeze at, so if he wants personal time away from the industry, at least he won't have to worry about how to pay bills. And if at some point he feels the urge to direct a film again, I would absolutely check it out - he's proven himself capable and talented in both fields, which is an incredible accomplishment.

Hope his replacement would look at his Gucci archives for an inspiration

I really like his Spring and Fall 99 collections

Everyone what is your fav Tom Ford collection? Let's discuss!

Fav Gucci by Tom Ford: 1998 S/S
Fav YSL by Tom Ford: 2003 S/S
Fav Tom Ford: 2011 S/S

Fav of fav: YSL 2003 S/S. Everything about this show was perfect. Purple nipple and show showtrack Purple Haze

*Waiting for Lola*:P

You asked and I respond @kasper!

Favorite Gucci by Tom Ford : SS 2001.
This is something that have remained unchanged for the past 20 years for me! Love everything about that collection! My top 9 always changes but the number 1 remains the same!

Favorite YSL by Tom Ford: FW 2001.
While I love the Betty Catroux collection, I think he really captured the spirit of the YSL woman with the FW01. My top 9 changes everytime with SS2004 being my least favorite.

Special mention for the menswear for YSL FW 2002! That collection was sublime! So grown up! The velvet, the intimacy. One of if not his best menswear collection during that YSL/Gucci era.

Favorite Tom Ford by Tom Ford: FW 2012.
This collection is for me his most achieved, most modern, most confident collection at his own brand. While I was super-excited with his debut and went wild in stores with SS2015, the FW2012 one was so right. And a lot of his signatures at his own brand came from that collection!

What I have always loved about Tom at Gucci/YSL was the trajectory of design. When he joined YSL, his clothes took another dimension. Everything became more intricate in terms of construction and designs.

And that heritage was carried at his own brand. When you look at his collections from 2011 to 2013, it’s almost Couture. Excessively opulent! They used real alligator and real gold in the jewelry, Nappa leather everywhere in the early seasons!

He had a good ride anyway…

All of them, but
Gucci spring 2000
Gucci fall 2001
Ysl the first show and the last
Tom Ford the first show
Tom Ford 2013
Tom Ford 2016 Gaga
And all of the Mens Wear

You asked and I respond @kasper!

Favorite Gucci by Tom Ford : SS 2001.
This is something that have remained unchanged for the past 20 years for me! Love everything about that collection! My top 9 always changes but the number 1 remains the same!

Favorite YSL by Tom Ford: FW 2001.
While I love the Betty Catroux collection, I think he really captured the spirit of the YSL woman with the FW01. My top 9 changes everytime with SS2004 being my least favorite.

Special mention for the menswear for YSL FW 2002! That collection was sublime! So grown up! The velvet, the intimacy. One of if not his best menswear collection during that YSL/Gucci era.

Favorite Tom Ford by Tom Ford: FW 2012.
This collection is for me his most achieved, most modern, most confident collection at his own brand. While I was super-excited with his debut and went wild in stores with SS2015, the FW2012 one was so right. And a lot of his signatures at his own brand came from that collection!

What I have always loved about Tom at Gucci/YSL was the trajectory of design. When he joined YSL, his clothes took another dimension. Everything became more intricate in terms of construction and designs.

And that heritage was carried at his own brand. When you look at his collections from 2011 to 2013, it’s almost Couture. Excessively opulent! They used real alligator and real gold in the jewelry, Nappa leather everywhere in the early seasons!

He had a good ride anyway…
2011 until 2013 was pure magic. Couture for the Tom Ford women, but he had to change to sell more because that price point was absolutely beyond. I will miss him but I think his time was up so much of his designs are based on a moderate youth culture and moderate youth culture has changed so much. As simple as it seems there's really no one like him. I hope that they are able to keep the house up from what I see now it looks pretty good but they need to have more fun and experiment more.

My favorite Tom Ford Gucci show is Fall/Winter 2003. I love the collection, but it’s really the show for this one that stands out. Arguably the greatest casting for a catwalk of all time. I don’t think there’s ever been a more perfect group of women walking one show than in that one in the entirety of fashion history. The soundtrack was perfect. The production was perfect. It’s just a perfect show, really. But if I had to pick my favorite Tom Ford for Gucci collection, I may have to say Spring/Summer 1999.

My favorite Tom Ford YSL - it’s a tie between Spring/Summer and Fall/Winter 2003. I can’t decide which I love more…“Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” blasting to those Petra von Kant showgirl dresses, or The Rolling Stone’s heart-wrenching “Angie” with all that nude and purple…just totally perfect…all of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->