UK Elle December 2014 : Emma Watson by Kerry Callihan

Thrilled to see Emma on the cover, she looks lovely. And I'm psyched to see the word "feminism" on the cover of a major fashion magazine... imagine how many people will see it? Very cool on Elle's part to do a whole issue devoted to the subject. I hope they tackle many different aspects of feminism, can't wait to see whose featured in the issue.

I find it absurd that a magazine geared exclusively towards women and their interests must have a special issue highlighting feminism. That's akin to a fashion magazine having a 'special fashion issue'. Surely feminism should in theory be integrated within their features on a general basis, obviously not in an aggressive manner. The timing is also quite odd, if I was Lorraine I would at least aim for March which is 'Women's month', but then again, that's also summer fashion preview month. To combine fashion with feminism will certainly ruffle some feathers.

Emma is indeed the perfect choice for Elle. The actual shot looks very simple for December, the angle is awkward and that banner MUST GO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new face of feminism looks tired on the cover

i love the cover shot, she looks like she has many things she wants to say to readers

It's a shame this is their December cover however. It looks like it belongs nicely in Spring to me. Anne's November cover was much for festive looking. Maybe they'll focus on Christmas in January's issue...

Cute cover, love Emma. I agree that one issue dedicated to feminism is ridiculous for a women's magazine...

Can't stand Benadryl Cumberbatch. He's overexposed and his fans are annoying.

she looks really pretty, I'm glad she's on the cover and that it's the feminism issue, though I will agree with what others said that they need to talk about it more in all issues of fashion magazines, not just a special issue dedicated to it.

Also seems rather strange to have a "feminist issue" but then tore out a "special cover" that has the ugly alien man on the cover. Why?

I don't think that feminism and women's fashion magazines go hand in hand actually.

In fact the two often seem at odds with each other and when the two are brought together, it's a niche market, such is the case for BUST magazine. and of course there's Gloria Steinem's Ms. magazine. However, from what I glean the editorial angle focuses on women's rights issues and not typical ladies fashion fodder such as issues regarding the latest mani/pedi trends.Those who actually read these feminist magazines or align themselves as feminist obviously would be better able to speak to the differences but in my observation, Feminism in the mainstream Women's Fashion publication is not a given.

Also seems rather strange to have a "feminist issue" but then tore out a "special cover" that has the ugly alien man on the cover. Why?

Because the word 'feminist' just means anything these days. Any decision, any action, whatever you want to do. Everything can be given a feminist 'angle' now, because the word has undergone a slow, generic rebranding.

Once upon a time, it meant something, but when there's money to be made from selling an idea back to women, then people will start putting it in an attractive package for convenient feel-good consumption. I'm a feminist! I'm a warrior for people's rights! I've radically reclaimed the word! I paint my toenails!

I bought this today. This magazine is for sale in a part of the UK where women are denied access to the same female healthcare that comes for free on the mainland. I bought it because it had a sample size eyeliner, not because it's actually going to help solve the reality of things around me. I don't give a damn about dressing feminism up to be pretty - to be acceptable enough to be on the front cover of a fashion magazine. The fight to get things effectively sorted in the face of established interests is never pretty.

ELLE Subs cover

b97ji8.jpg

elleuk

Not a huge fan of Emma but I must say both covers are very good, she looks beautiful. :smile:

...I don't see how labelling this the feminism issue will actually differ from their last 10 issues or so, they've been shoving it down their readers throats for that long. They've latched onto this idea and refuse to let it go, it really is like a dog with a bone. I'm all for equality but this is getting tiresome, they can't seem to write about anything else!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikishuki
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->