UK Harper’s Bazaar June 2024 : Jourdan Dunn by Richard Phibbs

Always a joy to see Jourdan on a cover, she’s one of the first models I fell in love with when I became interested in fashion magazines. I quite like the cover! It’s not my usual thing, but I enjoy it.

AMAZING !!! That gorgeous face, that smirk, the pose, the commanding presence and the fashion by Chanel, I love it = it's a great cover.

No print subscription yet, but I can see a digital copy... the main issue is 178 pages, accompanied by a Travel Guide supplement with gorgeous photography.

The digital cover is the one shown above, and this is the only one shown in the contents page, so there doesn't seem to be any subscriber or special event covers this time around. The cover story is another one of UK Bazaar's exclusive shoots on a Royal estate, shot in early April, it seems.

The adverts open with Dior, then Chanel with Brad and Penelope, then Lulu for Celine.

Gillian Anderson has a one-page Style File at the front of the issue, so it's a bit of a swizz to mention her name so prominently on the cover.

In the main section:

● The cover story isn't going to rock anyone's world, but it's nice - the fashion also has a cold-weather feel, rather than sun-and-sandals;

● This is followed by an editorial "The Others", photographed and directed by Erdem, with model Alice McGrath, which contains more of the country house vibe;

● Erik Madigan Heck returns to the outdoors with "The Romance of the Forest", styled by Chloe Hartstein, with model Ali Michael. This is the typical Madigan Heck vibrantly coloured work with trees and flowers, love it or hate it - I tend to love it, although I'm not so fond of his indoors shoots;

● A feature "Happy and Glorious" aims to celebrate national treasures, and opens with a shot of Rosamund Pike, who talks about Saltburn, and Judi Dench. Shirley Bassey gets a tiny section, but again, she's mentioned on the cover as if she'll be a big part;

● There's an article by former Bazaar editor Justine Picardie, about media scrutiny of of the Royals, on occasion of a new exhibition of Royal portraiture at Buckingham Palace;

● The Travel section, unsurprisingly for this issue, looks at London.

More beautiful and expensive looking than British Vogue, meanwhile British Vogue looks like some LA rich people dressing like slobs

I would say something that Tatler and UK Harpers Bazaar - and World of Interiors - have in common is that these magazines aren't as beholden to the internet as many other publications are. You won't get content that's greatly influenced by the teenage-level hot takes found everywhere on social media.

UK Bazaar evidently still believes in print, because every page is made with care, and they treat the reader as an adult, someone who might have a position of responsibility - and the disposable income to match.

In a lot of magazines, the content inside isn't made with care, it's dashed off to fill a space, or optimised for the one-dimensional world of being online.

Yikes. This must be their most saccharine issue, ever: Alexis Mabille is squealing his sugary little heart out right now. (...And it's going to give Mullet such bad ideas...)

1 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg2 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg

3 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg4 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg5 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg6 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg7 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg8 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg9 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg10 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg11 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg12 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg13 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg

14 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg15 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg16 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg17 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg18 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg19 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg20 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg21 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg

22 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg
23 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg24 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg25 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg26 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg27 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg28 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg29 Harpers Bazaar UK 06.2024.jpg
Harpers Bazaar UK June 2024

It's decent but something is missing, it could be more polished. I really miss that Testino touch, he knew how to make ed look expensive.
Still, I admire how consistent and precise this edition is with its direction, that's so rare nowadays. British Vogue should take notes.

Some really beautiful images in this issue, but, it looks more like catalog work than Vogue, especially The Romance of the Forest.

^^^ Erik Madigan Heck only knows this one aesthetic, one concept, one mood, one tone. He's incapable of doing anything else LOL

It's decent but something is missing, it could be more polished. I really miss that Testino touch, he knew how to make ed look expensive.
Still, I admire how consistent and precise this edition is with its direction, that's so rare nowadays. British Vogue should take notes.

It's the consistency of flat-lighting.

There’s no doubt it’s very much for a certain reader, a certain woman with a certain taste. It’s not my preference, but their consistency, their faith and commitment to their certain reader is admirable. Erdem's efforts would have been so much more potent had there been a darker, richer and heavier mood. The flat-lighting is giving bridal showroom rather than the haunting mood of The Others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boxij
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->