Upcoming Shows & Exhibits

Versailles goes kitsch as Jeff Koons' giant Lobster moves into the palace

Jeff Koons at the château de versailles, 10 September - 7 December 2008.

jeffkoonsversailles.com

Tara Donovan (who won a MacArthur genius award [or whatever it's called] this year) has an exhibition that opens tomorrow at Boston's ICA...

I actually got a sneak peak at it tonight and it's pretty incredible..
photos really don't do her work justice..
so if you can get over to the ICA and take a look....
or if her work is being exhibited anywhere near you I encourage you to go and see it..

she really knows how to make the ordinary extraordinary..

:heart:

Ace Gallery actually has the best pics of her work from what I can see...
http://www.acegallery.net/artistmenu.php?Artist=8

walking underneath her "cloud" of styrofoam cups is pretty incredible ^_^

" Color Hunting in Brazil

Dai Fujiwara + ISSEY MIYAKE Creative Room & Campana Brothers

October 22, 2008 - January 12, 2009
Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo

Synopsis
In commemoration of 100 years of Japanese immigration to Brazil as well as “Ano do Intercambio Japao-Brasil,” two exhibitions titled “Neo Tropicalia: Imagination of Brazil" and "Color Hunting in Brazil” will be held concurrently at the Museum of Contemporary Art Tokyo. In the latter exhibition, visitors will enjoy artistic works by Japanese creators inspired by natural colors found in Brazil, and the world of colors created by Brazilian artists.

Outline
COLOR HUNTING - A design approach to bring together the colors of both nature and the city to create textiles and patterns. In this project, Dai Fujiwara + ISSEY MIYAKE Creative Room adopted a creative method by which they find original colors in the wildlife of the Amazon, and extract colors by rotating photos of cities in order to create textile patterns. This exhibition is a display of the works as seen through the eyes of its Japanese creators including an art space installation with textiles, photos and footage of the production process in the Amazon and Rio de Janeiro, and clothing designed utilizing this method.Working together with people who live in the favela (slums), the Campana brothers, residents of Sao Paulo, collect colored materials such as vinyl tubes and wires from their urban surroundings to make furniture. This furniture is also displayed in the exhibition. In the workshop and through the guidance of the Campana brothers, participants will produce panels which reflect the Campana brothers’ interpretation of the world interwoven with the Color Hunting works of Mr. Fujiwara.

Campana brothers
The brothers, Humberto and Fernando Campana have their studio in Sao Paulo. The high quality of their art design often attracts attention from art circles, and their works have been exhibited in various art museums throughout the world including an exhibition with Ingo Maurer at the Museum of Modern Art, New York (1998). The Brothers have been invited to numerous international workshops hosted by Vitra Design Museum, Centre Pompidou (2002), etc. Their first private exhibition in Japan was held at the Brazilian Embassy in Tokyo (2005).

Dai Fujiwara
Having graduated from Tama Art University, Dyeing and Weaving Design Course, Mr. Fujiwara joined the Miyake Design Studio.After having worked on the design staff for ISSEY MIYAKE collections, he started the “A-POC” project with Issey Miyake in 1998. For “A-POC” he was awarded the Good Design Award in 2000, and for “Design of A-POC” the Mainichi Design Award in 2003. Mr. Fujiwara was appointed as ISSEY MIYAKE Creative Director in October 2006. In collaboration with DYSON, a British vacuum cleaner company, he introduced an unprecedented garment-making process for the 2008 Spring-Summer Collection.

Workshop / Talk Show by Dai Fujiwara

Dai Fujiwara will give a talk and workshop in which participants will experience the concept of Color Hunting. In the workshop, participants will be asked to imagine and draw on paper the pattern of colors produced when photos, taken during field work in Brazil, are rotated. A selection of photos will then be rotated using a machine so as to compare the patterns created with those drawn by the participants.

Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008 "

bh-project.jp
bluediary2.jugem.jp

Attachments

• img1_j[1].jpg
    img1_j[1].jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20081030_582873.jpg
    20081030_582873.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 20081030_582874.jpg
    20081030_582874.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 20081030_582876.jpg
    20081030_582876.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 20081030_582877.jpg
    20081030_582877.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 114
i would like to see that show...in tokyo...
if you get a chance to go i hope you will let us know how it is runner...
:flower:

* i went to the chanel mobile art exhibit here in Central Park ...
it was so good i couldn't even believe it...
so much really good art in all different forms, video, painting, mosaic, photography, etc...

and presented in such a unique way that tied all the different formats together so the exhibit seemed unified even though every single pieces was SO completely different...

i think it's headed to london next...
i highly recommend it for anyone who likes art...
really...it has very little to do with chanel...
it's all about the art...
which i didn't expect and was very pleasantly surprised by...
it's fantastic that chanel is funding such a great art show...

**prada eat your heart out...:lol:..

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the little review softie!

i'm so sad that i missed it in NY :(

i was there the weekend that they were setting up the structure in central park but couldn't make it back in time to see the actual exhibit...
so bummed because i was really looking forward to it and i think that was my only chance at seeing it.. unless there is some unexpected overseas travel in my future :P

Exhibits are ok, but can be a drag. Especially in NY. You can never find your way around, especially to exhibits. But you should be planning a lot earlier. Do not worry about current ones going on at the moment. Take your time and plan real carefully, or else you will find yourself stuck in a giant mess when it comes to travelling. So do not worry ChrissyM, you might be able to, but just plan first.

International Fashion/Art/Music Competition

International arts non-profit Art For Progress (www.artforprogress.org) is currently hosting its 3rd annual "Clash of the Artists". It is an on-line competition where the public can go to the site and see the work of emerging designers, artists, film makers, musicians and DJ's from across the globe, then vote for their favorites! The top 3 in each category will all compete at a special live event in New York City at 320 Studios on March 14th.

On-line voting ends February 28th. Get on-line today and make your vote count!!! (www.artforprogress.org:(woot::D:innocent:

if someone could tell me whats going on in stockholm between 7th nd 15th of april i'll be glad to know
thanks

An ancient legend mentioned by Pliny the Elder (d. 79 AD) places the origin of painting in Corinth, where a young girl, the daughter of the potter Butades of Sicyon, is said to have drawn the outline of her beloved’s shadow on a wall by the light of a candle.
‘The shadow’ as a theme has always been inextricably linked to the history of Western art. Although used basically for naturalistic purposes to enhance the credibility of the subject depicted, each period has assigned it its own connotations. The main aim of this exhibition is to draw the visitor’s attention to the host of implications, problems and solutions inherent in the representation of the shadow in art from the Renaissance to the present day. Other objectives are to highlight the existence of paths that branch off in different directions and to reveal the sometimes unnoticed links between periods and artists, despite distances in time.
This sounds like the best idea I've heard for an exhibition in awhile, wish I could go..

interesting theme ^
wish i could attend too

STYLEXIA :: Cooper Exhibition :: LA Premiere

For those of you in LA:

Please join us for the WORLD PREMEIRE screening of
STYLEXIA
a fashion film

Featuring the fashion photography of Kiino Villand,
set in motion + visually remixed by Christopher Kirk of mindbomb films.

A survey of Kiino Villand's sultry fashion photography spanning several continents & decades is sliced, diced & fed through motion graphics artist Christopher Kirk's agitprop grinder resulting in a provocative & lush chromaclash of juxtaposing textures.

Presented by Flux

Cooper Design Space (Lobby)
860 South Los Angeles St (corner of 9th St.)
Downtown Los Angeles 90014

Thursday June 11th, 8:00 PM

Join us for complimentary drinks.

RSVP: rsvp [at] kiinovilland [dot] com

Further information or questions: studio [at] kiinovilland [dot] com

Here's additional info:
http://www.kiinovilland.com/stylexia/stylexia.html

STYLEXIA_invite.jpg

ARRRGH! Monsters in Fashion

The exhibition is a world first, examining the expansion of the pop phenomenon of paradoxical, imaginary and monster-formed Characters in fashion and dress. Rising as well as broadly known and established designers and artists re-define the relationship between body and clothing, a swell as the borders of our consciousness in What is a Monster?

The exhibition will include creations by Walter Van Beirendonck, Gareth Pugh, Issey Miyake, Cassette Playa, Charlie Le Mindu, Jean-Charles De Castelbajac, Bas Kosters, Maison Martin Margiela and Bernhard Willhelm and many others. The opening of the exhibition was deliberately scheduled to coincide the celebrations of European Museum Night, includes a performance Atopic Bodies [FIVE]: The Monsters’ Ball.

At Benaki Museum, Pireos Street Annexe
in Athens/Greece, 15/05/2011 - 31/07/2011
General admission in euros: 5

Tom Fruin: WATERTOWER

222211.jpg

anothermag.com

Bucerius Kunst Forum Hamburg - Matta. Fiktionen:

buceriuskunstforum.de

Two fashion photographers have important exhibitions going on...

Mario Testino - "In Your Face" at the MFA in Boston

Tim Walker: Story Teller at Somerset House in London

I'm definitely going to see Testino's exhibit at the MFA - it includes fashion photos (of course) and his portraits of the royal family...

would love to hear about Tim Walker's exhibit from folks in London who make it over to Somerset House.

tumblr_mkbsxft6RB1qzpq9ko1_500.jpg

I'm in this show opening on Friday. Stop by the opening (it will be mobbed though augh) or go while it's still up. There are a lot of amazing artists in it.

Isabella Blow to Receive Posthumous Exhibit of Her Unparalleled Wardrobe

That personal collection of Isabella Blow's that Daphne Guinness bought in bulk is being put to good use. The late muse and editor is finally getting her own, if posthumous, exhibition of her wackadoodle wardrobe, in partnership with the Isabella Blow Foundation (founded by Guinness) and Central Saint Martins.
Promising to be a major show, Isabella Blow: Fashion Galore! will go on view at London's Somerset House in November, showcasing over 100 items—apparel, shoes, and of course hats—from Blow's closet, including Alexander McQueen's entire spring 2008 collection, which was dedicated in her memory. Other spotlight-grabbing labels include Hussein Chalayan, Prada, and Philip Treacy, the milliner whom she's credited with discovering.
The exhibit will also examine the context of the fashion-as-art pieces by looking at "the rarefied world of British aristocracy" that Blow was born into, as well as her early career assisting Anna Wintour at Vogue and her later tenure at Tatler, British Vogue, and Sunday Times Style.

hintmag.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->