US Bazaar November 2006 : Natalie Portman by Peter Lindbergh

F

fashionologie

from fwd:

How enamored is Glenda Bailey with Audrey Hepburn? Enough to put Natalie Portman in the late fashion icon’s little black Givenchy dress from Breakfast at Tiffany’s on her November cover.

“Natalie agreed to do it to promote the cause,” said Bailey from Jean Paul Gaultier’s front row. “If you think of all the famous dresses of all time, that dress is up there. That kind of fashion is glamorous, beautiful, and ever lasting—just like Bazaar. It says so much that if you buy the right dress, it will be something that you’ll love forever.” As an added touch, inside the spread—which, like the cover, was shot by Peter Lindbergh—Portman wears Givenchy from Riccardo Tisci’s current Fall 2006 collection.

For authenticity, Bailey commissioned her friend, jeweler Kenneth Jay Lane, to design a modern interpretation of the classic necklace Hepburn donned in the film. His creation, a five-strand pearl necklace with a diamante rose at the front, will be produced in a limited-edition run of 400. Proceeds from the sales, as well as the dress itself—which will be auctioned off by Christie’s in London on December 5—will be donated to City of Joy Aid, which benefits underprivileged children in India.

This isn’t Bailey’s first brush with Hepburn’s timeless memorabilia. In 2003, she famously outbid Matt Lauer to acquire Hepburn’s brown crocodile Hermès Kelly bag and one pair of mid-length brown leather gloves for $25,000.
JIM SHI

US Bazaar is so, I hate this word, but it is the first thing that comes to my mind: lame.

well at least is someone who hasn't been on the cover before

Sorry Natalie, as much as I adore you. Audrey > you :lol:

But this does sound interesting...

I'm still interested. Curious to see the cover.

bazaarmh0.jpg

Portman Poses in Hepburn's Black Dress

The Associated Press
Friday, October 6, 2006; 4:19 PM

NEW YORK -- Audrey Hepburn has a clone: Natalie Portman. The 25-year-old Portman, wearing the iconic black column dress worn by Hepburn in 1961's "Breakfast at Tiffany's," graces the cover of the upcoming issue of Harper's Bazaar.

A smiling Portman _ often called the modern-day Hepburn _ channels the spritely Holly Golightly by showing off the back of the dress, which was designed by Givenchy. Pearls are draped around her neck. Her hair, set with a black headband, is swept into a stylish updo in an update of Golightly's signature beehive.

"I did feel very elegant suddenly," Portman tells the magazine. "I mean, you can't possibly measure up to Audrey Hepburn; there's no comparison. But the elegance that she exuded was transmitted to the dress, you know, the feeling, the emotion of it."

The dress, one of three versions made for the 1961 movie, will be sold to the highest bidder on Dec. 5 at Christie's auction house in London. It's expected to fetch as much as $130,000.

Proceeds from the dress will go to the City of Joy Aid charity, which provides aid to India's poor.

Portman, whose screen credits include "Closer," "V for Vendetta" and the "Star Wars" movies, was anxious about wearing it.

"I was so nervous that I wasn't going to fit," Portman says. "Everyone kept telling me how small it was, and I'm not the type who can starve myself. I'm small, but it's not like I'm see-through."

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/06/AR2006100601025.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I like it...but why do the captions on the cover always have to be the same? This month's "605 New Looks" is no different from last month's "723 New Looks" :rolleyes:

Her smile looks uneasy. I'm interested, but as someone said before, this is kinda lame.

Natalie Portman is the closest thing we've got to Audrey, so I say it's a good choice.

What is the subscriber cover? The Bazaar newstand covers are ruined by their text. I agree that its annoying to see the same text on every cover. I couldn't care less as to how many "new looks" are inside what I want is a visually pleasing cover.

Natalie looks beautiful as always but I can't help but no one holds a candle to Audrey.

That is a gorgeous cover :heart: But yes - lesser text would've been much better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->