US Elle May 2006

Gilles Bensimon has been replaced..

by a roomful of monkeys wielding Mamiyz RZs. Explains the better cover. It's so sad when an incompetent old man wields so much power and ego that he can't use better judgement to have himself replaced as photographer for the better of the whole magazine than to endlessly slog on while embarrassed "yes"-men and women praise his "world renowned photographer-ness". If one Googles G.B. you'll see "world renowned photographer" attached to his name. I think it has been trade-marked. Only reason I buy the mag is for the great Alfandor editorials. I wonder what the celebrities have to say about appearing on Elle cover photographed by "the world renowned" G.B... surely they can't be happy to see themselves in the most unflattering pics... thanks for listening to my vent. Elle could be a great magazine if it weren't for the most horrendous, incompetent pics of "the world renowned" Gilles Bensimon.

OriginalSin said:
i really wish they'd stay away from writing SO much on the cover. it always takes away from what could be a truly stunning cover. overall i like it, just wish elle would control themselves :lol:

Yes i agree ....maybe on the cover instead of a featured person they should have a featured font

this weeks font is "A Times New Roman" soon to be appearing in a sentence near you :D

I love this issue. All of the editorials are so beautiful...I personally think Elle is one of the best US magazines, due to good articles and the fact that they have the ability to make anyone look good (sometimes by photoshopping..i.e. pregnant Britney). Their spring/summer issues are especially wonderful, like this one. It reminds me of the Natalie Portman issue a while back :smile:

I love the colors of the E.L. photoshoot. But that girl is boring, IMO.

Who else is this issue? Is Kevin Zegers in it? Because I know he went to the Elle Celebrates it's first green issue launch party earlier this month and since I'm a big fan of Kevin, I was wondering if he also is in the issue?

After reading that article, I kind of don't like Evangeline as much. She is ridiculous. Poor her- she has to be pretty! :rolleyes: I feel so bad for her! Puh-lease!

^I agree. I love her in Lost but she sure gives a boring interview and the comment about praying to be ugly... is a bit much :sick:

She looks so beautiful in this magazine. I can't wait to buy. Obviously by looking at my avator you dan tell that I am an Evangeline Lilly fan.

yeah, the cover is nice. I like the green and yellow combo and Evangeline Lilly looks great. :smile:

Carolyn Murphy, editorial in ELLE US, May 2006

Linda Votjova (the same magazine)

I've always been indifferent towards E.L. but after this interview, I don't like her. :sick: Praying to be ugly, okayyyy
I wish they would've put Amy Smart on the cover instead :heart:
Aside from that, I thought it's a great issue

My Review

The Green Issue (Articles about the environment get a :D )

284 pgs

Ads:
Giorgio Armani Cosmetics - 2 pgs
Louis Vuitton - 2 pgs
Anne Klein - 2 pgs
Dior - 1 pg
Bvlgari - 1 pg
Missoni fragrance - 1 pg
David Yurman - 1 pg
House of Dereon - 1 pg
Bebe - 1 pg

Eds:
"Paradise Found" P. Gilles Bensimon - Evangeline Lilly ed.

"The New World" Ph. Anne Menke - Linda Votjova ed.

"The Tropic of Carolyn" Ph. Gilles Bensimon - Carolyn Murphy ed.

"The Great Outdoors" Ph. Gilles Bensimon - Accessories ed.

"Chasing Amy" Ph. Gilles Bensimon - Amy Smart ed.

"High Fidelity" Ph. Gilles Bensimon - French star Virginie Ledoyen ed.

Other:
Short mentions of baby doll dresses, Native American-inspired clothes, desert-inspired clothes, athletic-inspired clothes, Kate Spade, gold filigree jewelry, wicker bags, Nathan Jenden, Tess Giberson, Brazilian designers, bathing suits - Western, black and white, tropical, graphic, exotic, Inca, gold, Megan Odabash

"Her Lightbulb Moment" - Article by guest editor Laurie David. :D

"A.M. Homes Sees the Light" - Profile of author and her new book.

"Independent Spirit" - Profile of Michelle Monaghan.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" - A writer visits Mexico to discover her style.

"Love Hurts" - A writer talks about how marrying an environmentalist made her not so concerned with fashion. :D

Short mentions on eco-friendly designers, new eco-friendly materials (like bamboo), Angela Lindvall, organic labeling, eating, living. :D

"Green Stars" - Best eco-friendly beauty products. :D

"American Beauties" - Profiles of 4 women with eco-friendly beauty lines: 100% Pure, Anita Louise, Bare Escentuals, Carol's Daughter. :D

"The Body Shop" - Are regular plastic surgeons just as good as attention-grabbing ones?

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Face" - A writer's attempts to clear up her acne and her constant picking at it.

"A Simple Plan" - Interview with Cameron Diaz. :D

"The Hot Environmentalist" - Profile of Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. :D

"If They Can Do It..." - Stars and other people tell about how they changed their lives to help the environment. Includes Leo DiCaprio, Alicia Silverstone, Julia Butterfly Hill, Sandra Oh, etc. :D

"Uncommon Women" - Profiles of eco women like Stella McCartney. :D

"Greener Gables" - How one writer learned about eco-proofing her house. :D

"The Eco-Trippers" - How environment didn't play a part in the last 2 presidential elections, but will do so in 2008. :D

Overall: Love it. 8 out of 10 stars.

Does anyone else think it's incredibly odd that there's an editorial with Virginie Ledoyen but no accompanying article? And that a few months ago, ELLE did the same thing with Monica Belluci? I don't know anything about these ladies, but I have to think they have something remotely interesting to toss into the Ashlee/Jessica/Mischa celeb-interview arena.

love the cover, but this particular issue is boring boring boring. I loved the FEB issue though

I just love the New World shoot. I have saved all the photos. I think ELLE is the best at making magic like this.

bringbacksupers said:
by a roomful of monkeys wielding Mamiyz RZs. Explains the better cover. It's so sad when an incompetent old man wields so much power and ego that he can't use better judgement to have himself replaced as photographer for the better of the whole magazine than to endlessly slog on while embarrassed "yes"-men and women praise his "world renowned photographer-ness". If one Googles G.B. you'll see "world renowned photographer" attached to his name. I think it has been trade-marked. Only reason I buy the mag is for the great Alfandor editorials. I wonder what the celebrities have to say about appearing on Elle cover photographed by "the world renowned" G.B... surely they can't be happy to see themselves in the most unflattering pics... thanks for listening to my vent. Elle could be a great magazine if it weren't for the most horrendous, incompetent pics of "the world renowned" Gilles Bensimon.

I love you?

He actually photographed one of my friends for an upcoming issue of Elle. Honestly, I am worried for her - but I'm glad I took my photos first :ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrblg2020
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->