US Harper's Bazaar - The Cover Archive

I don't mind generic covers; I think there's real skill behind the creation of a successful cover formula, such as US Cosmo back in the day (or decade). But more often than not, it's easy to slip into staleness, which many magazines do, from time to time, before they shake themselves up, but I don't think I've seen a relentless slump as bad as US Bazaar.

White background... blue background... pink background... FASHION.

Personally, I just wish they'd stop with the irregular size. Just be US A4 and be done with it. It adds nothing. I do like the clean design inside, but there's nothing about it that couldn't be accomplished on US A4. It's not like they're using that extra margin of page to squeeze in yet more creativity. They're just being awkward, in the hope that it'll 'set them apart' on the newsstand.

I absolutely agree with you, I wish we could see way more interesting layouts and not too fuzzy or repetitive for that matter.

And the increased size doesn't even set them apart anymore, given that they're all at it now - US Elle and even US Vogue.

I was a tad bored earlier going through old threads and stumbled across this one. The repetitiveness of US Bazaar has always bothered me, a little more than Vogue, so I made a little chart starting with the January 2008 issue through the December 2018/January 2019 issue to see who has had how many covers in ten years. This was just something I did while bored, but these things also interest me, if anyone notices anything I’ve left out let me know

The results:
Gwyneth Paltrow and Lady Gaga have both had five covers, with Lady Gaga having two covers from two of the same years.

Drew Barrymore, Jennifer Aniston and Kate Hudson have all had four covers in ten years.

The three covers club consists of Demi Moore, Gigi Hadid with three in three years, Jennifer Lopez, Kate Moss, Katy Perry, Kendall Jenner with three in three years, Madonna, Miley Cyrus, Rihanna and Sarah Jessica Parker.

And those with two covers in the past ten years: Angelina Jolie, Anne Hathaway, Cameron Diaz, Emilia Clarke, Gwen Stefani, Kate Winslet, Kim Kardashian, Lindsay Lohan had two in the same year, Julianne Moore, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz, Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift.

Personally, I just wish they'd stop with the irregular size. Just be US A4 and be done with it. It adds nothing. I do like the clean design inside, but there's nothing about it that couldn't be accomplished on US A4. It's not like they're using that extra margin of page to squeeze in yet more creativity. They're just being awkward, in the hope that it'll 'set them apart' on the newsstand.

Quoting you a couple of years later, but I think this squarish size perfectly fits HB, or at least, its international editions. Apart from US Elle and Marie Claire, I don't think many of non-Bazaar magazines are using it, so, maybe it's a trait that distincts Bazaar from others and compliments its artsy graphic design.

I want to see the covers of the 90’s, 80’s
Yes!!! I'd love to see all the wonderful Tilberis covers together..

Also the 80s would be a treat, even back then they used to reuse the same coverstars a lot - think Brooke Shields, Kim Alexis, Carol Alt, Cindy, Farrah Fawcett, Christie Brinkley

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->