US Vogue December 2020 : Harry Styles by Tyler Mitchell

Tired of the girls asking for this cover in social media or ebay. They're writing in Vogue Spain Twitter "where is Harry's cover?" These girls may think that there's only one edition of Vogue, and every sister publication will reprint that cover. What the actual f#@k?!

LMAO. Those girls are like James Charles who used a Vogue Italia masthead on his own cover challenge, yet tagged in US Vogue asking them for his cover. They don't actually know what makes one edition different from the next. Just that Vogue is, well Vogue.

I'll say it again, didn't expect this cover to be such a hit. I didn't even think Harry would survive beyond One Direction, to begin with. Especially when he dated one of the Kardashians who we all know are worse than a femme fatale in a noir movie. Their victims simply don't survive.

LMAO. Those girls are like James Charles who used a Vogue Italia masthead on his own cover challenge, yet tagged in US Vogue asking them for his cover. They don't actually know what makes one edition different from the next. Just that Vogue is, well Vogue.

I'll say it again, didn't expect this cover to be such a hit. I didn't even think Harry would survive beyond One Direction, to begin with. Especially when he dated one of the Kardashians who we all know are worse than a femme fatale in a noir movie. Their victims simply don't survive.
And that kind of people buy these magazines now, only because a teen idol, influencer or a non-talent person appears on the cover. At the same time their bad taste ruins fashion industry. He's not a bad singer at all, but his fans...!

Ive never been happier to have subscribed to US Vogue from the UK.

Haven't seen this issue anywhere, and Im not sure there are any chances of finding it naturally!

May sell mine in a few years! haha.

It was back in stock on newsstand.co.uk earlier today, but is now sold out again.

If you're going to want to make a quick buck, now is the time. Buy a few issues, slap on a markup, and undercut the greedy ones on Ebay. The way pop culture is going Harry Styles may well be cancelled in a few years, leaving your investment practically worthless.

For anyone who is still after a copy of this issue, the Condé Nast Worldwide News website just had a restock! They ship internationally.

*Edit* Already sold-out but will make another restock tomorrow!

I expected this issue sell a lot but not to this extent. Really curious to see the numbers.

I had a friend who worked in fashion textile brand asking why there are different Vogue's on the newsstand. I educated her that they are different country editions of Vogue. She had a moment of enlightenment lol.

It has the be the best selling issue of the year, it’s selling out instantly when it hits any website, it’s reselling for £30+ on eBay & depop, some people asking for £55-£60 for this issue that is so thin. I felt begrudge buying it for £19 (which is way overpriced still).

I really detest when things like this happens because actually magazine lovers & collectors are struggling to get issues or having to pay extortionate prices because people are buying 10+ issues at a time and selling them for personal gain.

Stan culture definitely sells magazine and that has been made definite with this cover, the fans are absolutely crazed for buying issues.

I really detest when things like this happens because actually magazine lovers & collectors are struggling to get issues or having to pay extortionate prices because people are buying 10+ issues at a time and selling them for personal gain.

Really? I love it because it's a win for print. Guarantees that the magazine won't shut down for at least, say a year. Yep, that's how low the standards are in today's climate.

I do know that other than getting a ton of new followers and strong newsstand sales through stans, this is not a sustainable business model because Vogue would have to continue booking the most popular or controversial cover star each month as they've tried to do. But are they converting stans into regular readers who would buy the magazine every month? I doubt it.

It has the be the best selling issue of the year, it’s selling out instantly when it hits any website, it’s reselling for £30+ on eBay & depop, some people asking for £55-£60 for this issue that is so thin. I felt begrudge buying it for £19 (which is way overpriced still).

Stan culture definitely sells magazine and that has been made definite with this cover, the fans are absolutely crazed for buying issues.
You can get them on CNWWN though they do go quick but they have been restocking it

Apparently Billy Porter is pressed about not getting this cover, and talked about it in a recent interview.

Billy criticized Vogue's decision to make Harry its first man cover star in a more recent interview with The Sunday Times, where the triple-threat artist and upcoming author noted that his own style broke boundaries before Harry's did. "I changed the whole game," Billy said. "I. Personally. Changed. The. Whole. Game. And that is not ego, that is just fact. I was the first one doing it and now everybody is doing it. I feel like the fashion industry has accepted me because they have to. I'm not necessarily convinced and here is why," he continued. "I created the conversation [about non-binary fashion] and yet Vogue still put Harry Styles, a straight white man, in a dress on their cover for the first time. He is the one you're going to try and use to represent this new conversation?" Billy went on, suggesting that Harry's style is more a reflection of the moment than something personal. "He doesn't care, he's just doing it because it's the thing to do. This is politics for me. This is my life. I had to fight my entire life to get to the place where I could wear a dress to the Oscars and not be gunned down. All he has to do is be white and straight." Harry hasn't labeled his sexuality outright. Regarding his fashion choices, the singer told Vogue last year that gendered clothing norms are "limiting" and "there's so much joy to be had in playing with clothes."

Has Billy never heard of Bowie, Prince, Dennis Rodman, Liberace, Boy George, Pharrell, etc. etc. etc. The ego is through the roof! I actually really liked Billy, but this interview has changed my perception dramatically. The ego, the silly hyperbole, the delusion! Billy was barely even famous prior to Pose in 2018 and and achieved fame in large part *as a result* of the flamboyant red-carpet moments, not in spite of them. Harry has been known for androgynous style since well before anyone outside of New York knew who Billy was. I'm not even a Harry fan, but does Billy not realize the conservative half of American and the media was attacking and mocking Harry for this cover and for his androgynous fashion? It wasn't all praise and adoration.

Last edited:
Apparently Billy Porter is pressed about not getting this cover, and talked about it in a recent interview.

Has Billy never heard of Bowie, Prince, Dennis Rodman, Liberace, Boy George, Pharrell, etc. etc. etc. The ego is through the roof! I actually really liked Billy, but this interview has changed my perception dramatically. The ego, the silly hyperbole, the delusion! Billy was barely even famous prior to Pose in 2018 and and achieved fame in large part *as a result* of the flamboyant red-carpet moments, not in spite of them. Harry has been known for androgynous style since well before anyone outside of New York knew who Billy was. I'm not even a Harry fan, but does Billy not realize the conservative half of American and the media was attacking and mocking Harry for this cover and for his androgynous fashion? It wasn't all praise and adoration.

It's wild that he believes he singlehandedly "changed the game" regarding gender bending fashion. As you mentioned, many men came before him, and while perhaps he is speaking in regards to more recent history, even Marc Jacobs could have had that cover lol. I understand his argument, to the extent of putting a straight white man on the cover instead of a gender non conforming person or a homosexual man, but to be honest, I didn't think that much into it. Until now!

I don't think Harry has self-identified as straight, but even if he is, if people say they're trying to "normalize" androgynous fashion, what's the issue? Do you want it to be viewed as acceptable or do you not? Pharrell was in a dress in GQ pretty recently, I think Jaden Smith was modeling womenswear years ago, Billy has been on Allure, etc. Woman of all ages, ethnicities, and orientations are allowed to wear menswear without anyone batting an eye, so it seems rather regressive of Billy for taking issue with Harry doing wearing womenswear. Plus he's just incorrect, people have been writing articles about Harry's androgynous style choices for 6 or 7 years at least, I think.

Billy Porter is so achingly irritating. He's absolutely delusional if he thinks he blazed some sort of fashion trail.
His red carpet looks are always ridiculous, and scream desperate for attention. I just roll my eyes when I see him.
I'm not even a huge Harry Styles fan, but he (or his team) always nail fashion perfectly, and his Vogue cover was sublime.
Billy sounds like a bitter, and jealous queen. Not a good look for him.

^^^ Being insufferably arrogant and entitled is sadly, not an uncommon trait in many gay men.

Had he been some zoomer— and they've been well known for blatant revisionist history to always prop themselves out to be the revolutionist vanguard while sweeping everyone that came before them under the rug, I would just shrug it off. But here’s a middle-age man who’s still so delusional and up his own a55 over his self-importance, it's rather embarrassing. And pathetic.

Prince has been proudly and consistently messing with gender roles to the scorn of public opinion since 1979— but never begged for validation, because more than fashion, he was a musical genius. This Billy Porter person is famous for wearing gowns in today's carefully OTT PC media encouraging him at every useless appearance. The delusion, entitlement, casual racism and casual sexism is strong in some gayz like him.

And I still don't know what he does, ha. In Argentina he's famous for wearing haute couture, but Bowie, Prince, Elton, Annie Lennox and Grace Jones were the first artist playing with sex identity, and all of them are music legends and more Vogue worthy than him. This guy before Mrs. Grace Jones on Vogue?!!! Wtf. At least Styles is not that arrogant. Respect for the true legends in fashion, music, cinema and culture.

I don't think Harry has self-identified as straight, but even if he is, if people say they're trying to "normalize" androgynous fashion, what's the issue? Do you want it to be viewed as acceptable or do you not? Pharrell was in a dress in GQ pretty recently, I think Jaden Smith was modeling womenswear years ago, Billy has been on Allure, etc. Woman of all ages, ethnicities, and orientations are allowed to wear menswear without anyone batting an eye, so it seems rather regressive of Billy for taking issue with Harry doing wearing womenswear. Plus he's just incorrect, people have been writing articles about Harry's androgynous style choices for 6 or 7 years at least, I think.

I think his issue is the idea that it takes a white, cisgender, or straight male (in this case, we presume all 3) to create acceptance of something when Black or queer or trans people have been pushing envelopes long before.

While I think Billy is a bit short sighted in not recognizing the VAST number of cis men who came before him, I think it's easy to understand his frustration when put into greater context. David Bowie (whom I love) and et al weren't pushing the envelope on their own; they were influenced by queer people around them.

What I do appreciate is his issue isn't with Styles, per se; it is with entertainment and fashion in general. Styles isn't at fault here; he's expressing himself as he knows how, and his stardom affords him greater fashion/better stylists to work with than someone in Porter's position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjidiakez
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->