Vanity Fair March 2008 : The Hollywood Issue by Annie Leibovitz

Zoe is a Black Latina. Why is she the only one unclothed? :blink:

Emily has a bathing suit on too, I doubt that was intentional. To me it looks like they went for fresh faced and ended up with washed out- too many of the girls blend right into the background. My friend also commented that it looks like a bridesmaid reception gone wrong.

too many of the girls blend right into the background.

Very much. The whole thing looks very pale. They just talked about the shoot on E! Apparently, Dior custom made all the clothes for them.

I actually think that the concept is interesting and they executed it beautifully. The soft color scheme is lovely. :heart:

Thanks, MMA for the larger cover!

Last edited by a moderator:
I like seeing Emily and Anne on the cover. The pastels are awesomee

hm...jessica biel does look bored...
and zoe saldana looks slapped in there...

to me the girls that stand out are amy adams, emily blunt, ginnifer goodwin and america ferrera, which is interesting because they are at opposite ends...:lol:

the four of them on the cover (with america standing where anne hathaway is) would have been gorgeous...

LUXXX said:
There is a whole section in this new issue with a dedication to Hitchcock...Renee Z, Gwyneth Paltrow and Scarlett all pose as his blonds in various scenes.

WICKED I can't wait to see that.

the cover looks okay, but I only recognise two girls :ninja:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/video/2008/hitchcockportfolio_video200803

Here is the video of the Hitchcock Portofolio. At the very end, it'll tell you who is doing what. Off the top of my head I know Scarlett Johansson and Javier Bardem are doing Rear Window, Keira Knightley and Jennifer Jason Leigh are doing Rebecca, Emile Hirsch and James McAvoy are doing Strangers on a Train, Mairon Cotilliard is doing Psycho, Jodie Foster is doing Birds, Seth Rogen is doing North by Northwest, and that is all I can remember. Here is the full list: Casey Affleck, Javier Bardem, Josh Brolin, Julie Christie, Marion Cotillard, Robert Downey Jr., Ben Foster, Jodie Foster, Emile Hirsch, Scarlett Johansson, Keira Knightley, Jennifer Jason Leigh, James McAvoy, Omar Metwally, Gwyneth Paltrow, Seth Rogen, Eva Marie Saint, Charlize Theron, Naomi Watts, Tang Wei, and Renée Zellweger.

(444 Pages & around 200+ pages of Ads)

March 2008 Table of Contents

Features

357 THE 2008 HOLLYWOOD PORTFOLIO Hollywood is an unsettling place these days, with writers dialing “S” for strike and awards shows circling the drain. V.F. captures the suspense in a montage of classic Hitchcock moments, featuring Scarlett Johansson, Javier Bardem, Seth Rogen, and other top stars. Text by Jim Windolf and Nathaniel Rich. Photographs by Julian Broad, Norman Jean Roy, Mark Seliger, and Art Streiber.

386 JERRY WEINTRAUB PRESENTS! Bronx-born Jerry Weintraub (Nashville, the Ocean’s series) ascended to Hollywood’s Mount Olympus in a blaze of luck, ingenuity, and sheer chutzpah. Rich Cohen is embedded at Weintraub’s Palm Desert oasis, where the 70-year-old producer tells of his escapades with Elvis, Sinatra, and Clooney. Photographs by Norman Jean Roy.

394 BRIDESHEAD RE-REVISITED Michael Roberts and James Wolcott spotlight the second filming of Brideshead Revisited, this time for the big screen.

398 MAILER’S MOVIE MADNESS After becoming an overnight sensation with his first novel, The Naked and the Dead, Norman Mailer hung out with Brando, Burt Lancaster, and Elia Kazan, fascinated by the visceral power of performance. Patricia Bosworth recalls the late writer’s experiments in film, which were as violently, maddeningly idiosyncratic as his books.

404 THE RIGHT FLUFF: A GUY’S GUIDE TO CHICK FLICKS Once a fan of testosterone-injected action films, James Wolcott has converted to romantic comedies. Muttering, “Nobody puts Baby in a corner,” he offers an analysis of the genre’s classics, from The Way We Were to Legally Blonde.

410 ARTIST IN RESIDENCE Julian Schnabel’s 12-story, Pompeii-red development, as outrageous as the artist-director himself, has infuriated some West Villagers, but Bono and Madonna seem to like it. Ingrid Sischy suspects “Palazzo Chupi” will come to be recognized as an architectural marvel of 21st-century New York. Photographs by Robert Polidori.

418 HERE’S TO YOU, MR. NICHOLS: THE MAKING OF THE GRADUATEAn awkward audition by a young and unknown actor named Dustin Hoffman gave Mike Nichols the epiphany he needed for The Graduate, the sleeper phenomenon of 1967. As the character of Benjamin Braddock morphed from golden boy to swarthy misfit, the rest, as Sam Kashner reveals, became film history.

FANFAIR

223 31 DAYS IN THE LIFE OF THE CULTUREFellini’s dreams

226 The Cultural Divide

228 Elissa Schappell’s Hot Type

230 Meenal Mistry on Kova & T; Julian Sancton on the Converse centennial

232 The Pirelli calendar bound for bookstores; dressing your favorite
celebrities; Night-Table Reading

234 Private Lives: Comedy’s doyenne Phyllis Diller

236 Lisa Eisner on Anto’s bespoke shirts; A. M. Homes on the road with Frank Rich and Stephen Sondheim

240 My Stuff—Natalia Vodianova; Michael Hogan jams with the Kills

242 Lisa Robinson’s favorite soundtracks

244 Leslie Bennetts previews Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

246 Fashion’s rising celebrity stars

248 Bruce Handy sounds Fellini’s unconscious

250 Edward Helmore soaks up sun and culture on Dellis Cay

252 Eve Epstein indulges in Korres’s cult creams; Jonathan Kelly tests Sally
Hershberger’s latest hair-care line; Hot Looks

Special Section

THE SOCIAL WHIRL OF OSCAR Where to stay, what to pack, who to call for a last-minute wax, and which parties to wheedle your way into—it’s all here! Punch Hutton presents the ultimate guide to Oscar weekend in Los Angeles.

continued...

Columns

260 THE PLOT SICKENSAs Hollywood battles over residuals, the real question should be: Who needs stories when there’s Survivor, Halo, and viral video? Michael Wolff does a reality check.

282 THE GAME HAS CHANGED This summer’s blockbuster may be played, not watched. Frank DiGiacomo previews Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, LucasArts’ bid to revolutionize the video game. Photograph by Art Streiber.

292 THE DEMON EDITORS OF FLEET STREET Lord Snowdon and Jessica Flint spotlight the powers that be in London’s fabled—and flourishing—newspaper culture.

294 DAUGHTER DEAREST Anyone who has seen Mommie Dearest knows Joan Crawford was a sadistic tyrant. Or was she? Charlotte Chandler battles the myth.

304 KILLER INSTINCTS The modern horror movie slashed its way to box-office glory in the 1970s. Jason Zinoman speaks to the masters—from Wes Craven to John Carpenter—who unleashed a billion-dollar tide of faceless madmen and shrieking babes.

326 ALBERT MAYSLES Julian Dufort and Patricia Bosworth spotlight Albert
Maysles, whose latest documentary captures the glory of “The Gates.”

331 MASTERS OF PHOTOGRAPHY: MARIO TESTINO Marking 25 years of photographic genius in V.F.’s pages, David Friend focuses on Mario Testino, who has given new impact to the world’s most famous faces.

Vanities

347 VAN HOUTEN

348 That Was Then and This Is Now; Vanities Dares—Primary Polling
edition; Howard Schatz tests Whoopi Goldberg’s wits

349 Craig Brown channels Joe Eszterhas; Lawrence Levi compares
Hollywood copywriters

350 Bruce Feirstein plays Survivor: Hollywood

352 Adam Leff and Richard Rushfield on celebrity gurus

Et Cetera

162 EDITOR’S LETTER Twenty-five Candles

170 CONTRIBUTORS

190 ON THE COVER