Vanity Fair May 2024 : Chris Hemsworth by Gregory Harris

Such a depressing cover... is he holding a wallet? Promoting Furiosa with this?! :doh:

It's really hard to leave behind the expectation that Vanity Fair is going to produce a cover shoot with some memorable images, even though that hasn't happened in a very long time.

Hemsworth is more handsome than he looks on the cover image. However, there are some great photos of him in this photoshoot. All are up on vanityfair.com.

I’m not sure I agree with the Marvel comment to be honest; Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Tom Holland… they’re all pretty big movie stars.

The cover is so bland here. I feel like he’s one of those stars who is only ever styled one way and only ever appears one way. They’d never get him in anything particular fashion but they could have tried something a little better than this surely?

He's a great looking man, surely they could have done something with the styling? At least the George Cortina treatment. Anything. Giving your grandfather's Lands End catalogue energy.

He's top 5 of the most beautiful actors, but he looks AI generated here. And not in a good way.

Surprised that they ended up with such a bland cover yet the editorial is simple but still has personality.

Received my print subscription copy, in the UK, this comes with the On Time watch supplement.

The main issue is 120 pages, the supplement is 96 pages.

As something designed to bolster an interview about being a "family man", this cover shoot fits right in, but it's the sort of generic production that seems to get applause when it appears in a men's magazine, but derision when people see the same in a woman's one.

There's a gatefold Chanel campaign inside the cover (Brad & Penelope) as well as a Chanel Mademoiselle fold-out in the social section, with candid shots from the VF Oscars after-party.

The editor's letter talks about former VF contributor Dominick Dunne, as this issue contains an excerpt from another family member's account of the murder of Dunne's daughter, which was the event which propelled Dunne to start writing for the publication.

- The Vanities person is the singer Tyla;
- After the cover story, there's the traditional Mark Seliger Oscars portfolio;
- Then it's an article about the Catholic Church, female fertility and nuns' urine;
- Followed by a look at Zero Bond, a NY private members club;
- Then the book excerpt about Dominique Dunne;
- Then something about Jim "Fergie" Chambers, a US heir who's become "America's go-to radical communist";
- Back page Proust questionnaire goes to Alfred Molina, I remember first watching him on TV in The Accountant, let me appal myself by looking up the year... 1989.

Good cover. I love the colors and Chris looks good.

It’s giving neither body nor soul
This. And they know what we all want from Hemsworth.. so if you not gonna give us body. At least give us sthg else. This gentleman farmer styling for male movie stars is exhausting.

Of Gods and Men
Photo Gregory Harris
Stylist Tony Irving
Text Karen Valby
Subject Chris Hemsworth
Hair Luca Vannella
Makeup Matteo Silvi

vanity fair

Portrait Studio | The Gilded Age
Photo Mark Seliger
Stylist Rebecca Ramsey
Subjects Emma Stone, LeBron James, Emma Thomas, Jennifer Lawrence, Anya Taylor-Joy, Donald Glover, Da'Vine Joy Randolph, Billie Eilish, Mark Ruffalo, America Ferrera, Lily Gladstone, Jeffrey Wright, Usher, Jonathan Bailey, Rosé, John McEnroe, Serena Williams

vanity fair

Vanities | High Tide
Photo Nick Riley Bentham
Stylist Olivia Weeden
Text Britt Hennemuth
Subject Tyla
Hair Johnnie Sapong
Makeup Rokael

vanity fair

Devil's Eve, 1982
Text Griffin Dunne
Subject Dominique Dunne