Victoria's Secret To Drop Tv Fashion Show

ebowleg

Reaction score
Television - AP

Victoria's Secret to Drop TV Fashion Show
22 minutes ago

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Victoria's Secret is dropping its nationally televised fashion show this year, at least partly because of criticism following Janet Jackson (news)'s breast-baring faux pas at the Super Bowl.

AP Photo

Ed Razek, chief creative officer for the Columbus-based chain, said Saturday the main reason for the decision was so the company can look at new ways to promote the brand. Still, he said, "We had to make the decision probably six to eight weeks ago when the heat was on the television networks."

The announcement came less than three months after the Jackson uproar and a week after federal regulators proposed $495,000 in fines against Clear Channel Communications for sexual material on the Howard Stern show.

The televised fashion show has generated criticism in the past from groups complaining about supermodels strutting in skimpy underwear.

A message left Saturday at the New York office of CBS, which has televised the show the past two years, was not returned.

The fashion show, which aired in November the last two years, was televised on ABC in 2001. It generated record use on the Internet before that.

Victoria's Secret has $4 billion in annual sales.

Personally, I enjoy the show every year, I think that it was tastefully done, and no different than a Rosa Cha show, or a Cavalli intimo show for that matter...What do you guys think? :innocent:

capt.wxs10204101916.victorias_secret_tv_show_wxs102.jpg

I wonder if they will make up for the show not being televised by selling copies of the show in the stores?

THANK GOD!!!!!...i friggin' hated that thinly veiled bit of p*rn...what a vulgar and disgusting display...and that's supposed to promote underwear sales?...to women?...does anyone really think that was targeted at women?...good riddance and i hope it never comes back...women should be able to earn a comfortable living in a more dignified manner...

peace :flower:

I don't like VS "fashion" but the show was nice, what about broadcasting show at FTV??

Originally posted by Poison@Apr 10th, 2004 - 6:24 pm
I don't like VS "fashion" but the show was nice, what about broadcasting show at FTV??

And how soon before the government blocks our internet or satellite feeds?

If Limited Brands and VS are pulling the plug primarily for other business reasons, that's fine. These companies are making money hand over fist and don't need this yearly spectacle to drum up sales.

Maybe they don't feel drawing FCC attention is in their best interests either. Fair enough.

But this is a massive slippery slope issue. The rest of the article has a ridiculous quote from the National Organization for Women claiming this as a victory. Those numbskulls are either not realizing the bigger picture or irresponsibly ignoring it. I'm sure the Parents Television Council won't be far behind. Morons.

VS is untouchable as a brand. Even though the show is tacky and distant from the equally tacky merchandise, I tuned in every year to watch the big artillery of the modeling industry at work. From a marketing point, it was genius.

The tyranny of the minority is at work here. What do I mean by that? Back in 2002 the FCC received 20 complaints about the show. 20! Yet it made news. None of the 12,000,000 that enjoyed the show bothered to write in. I wrote in with my support and received the dumbest canned response ever.

Im not a p*rno freak but i enjoyed watching it becasue of the preformances and just watching the models because they are so gorgeous, and hey i love vs undies! :smile: So it stinks they may take it out in my opinion.

Originally posted by Atelier@Apr 10th, 2004 - 5:45 pm
I tuned in every year to watch the big artillery of the modeling industry at work. From a marketing point, it was genius.

me too. I personally like to see any type of fashion show broadcasted on television just because they are fun to watch. Interesting enough VS is putting on a show in Columbus (were I am) hopefully I can get a job as a dresser backstage.

i don't find VS fashion show as disgusting or indecent! There is always a line between being liberals and being conservative. I am personally not opposed to the fashion show but that doesn't mean I like p*rn or I am vulgar! Of course VS show is all about lingerie and it is on national TV and that can be offensive to many people!
Janet Jackson incident exposed that we as americans were overexposed to sexual images in the past and are now suddenly becoming overeactive. maybe's that's good!
p.s those angel wings on the models are totally unnecessary, by the way.

i don't know about the fashion show because parents can prevent children from watching it (though not often) but i hope the huge billboards promoting VS will be gone. i haven't seen many but when they were building a new store on 34th st. in ny, there was a huge ad of a model in lingerie and i know where other people are coming from but i don't think it's right to put it up so publicly because there are children in the city and i wouldn't want my child to see someone half naked and considered 'beautiful' and become influenced in a negative way.

I've never watched the whole thing - but I have noticed that the lingerie gets worse every year :unsure:
I don't think the shows indecent though - a bit over the top, but I guess that's the image they're going for

I never watched that thing....EVER!

So,of course,I could care less. They may have a good a eye for models,but why watch it when we can already see them in a decent designer's show? And I mean besides being scantily-clad...

i like the show.

the wings are beautifully crafted and the models... well they're not so bad either. [nudge nudge]

well it's pathetic them pulling it because of janet...i mean, they don't show it in aus but i wouldn't watch it anyway...it's for guys really.

Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 10th, 2004 - 4:50 pm
and that's supposed to promote underwear sales?...to women?...does anyone really think that was targeted at women?...good riddance and i hope it never comes back
peace :flower:

I'm with softgrey. :flower:

I say that if you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple as that. I am female and I DO like to watch the show. If they're not televising it for business reasons, that's fine with me. But if they're cancelling it because a small percentage just doesn't like it, well then that's ridiculous. I don't appreciate it when people are basically trying to control what I watch.

My only complaint about the show is that it has become increasingly cheesy throughout the years. :innocent:

I say that if you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple as that...I don't appreciate it when people are basically trying to control what I watch. My only complaint about the show is that it has become increasingly cheesy throughout the years. :innocent:

I absolutely agree! Although I think that the shows have gotton better throughout the years, it is much more of a spectacle :flower:

i believe there is a HUGE difference between the VS show and the superbowl halftime show. When america tuned in to watch the halftime show, they were not aware that a breast would be exposed. I believe it caught a lot of people off guard, including myself. Although I was not offended by Janets boob, I definitely thought that the halftime show was not the place for her to promote her new album by taking off her top. But when you sit down to watch the VS show, you are *hopefully* aware of the content that will be presented to you and there is a huge possibility that a "wardrobe malfunction" may occur.

I am not a huge fan of the VS show, in fact i usually end up accidently missing it every year. But when I do happen to find time to watch it, it is always somewhat enjoyable and an overall good show. I do believe that using janets boob as an excuse to censor everything that might be seen by some people as inappropriate is just flat out ridiculous. Just because some people cant see the difference between a runway show and a peep show doesnt mean that we should all be denied the right to see it.

i love watching it every year, i especially enjoyed last years it was very anime-ish at the beginning. i cant believe theyre getting rid of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrigitteXCX
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->