Vintage Streetstyle: the 1940's

seanutbutter

the crying of humanity
Reaction score
1940's Parisian fashion
From a superb exhibition of colour photos by Andre Zucca of Paris under wartime occupation (1941-1944) at the Bibliothèque de la Ville de Paris (April 2008).

dlisbona on Flickr.com

1940's Parisian fashion
From a superb exhibition of colour photos by Andre Zucca of Paris under wartime occupation (1941-1944) at the Bibliothèque de la Ville de Paris (April 2008).

dlisbona on Flickr.com

Group portrait of Jewish women standing outside the ORT school in the Feldafing displaced persons camp.

~~*♥♥♥Michelle♥♥♥*~~~ on Flickr.com (Her hearts and symbols, not mine!)

Mom, Frances Tuzzolino, in her prom dress in our yard by the kitchen's mini rose bush. Boro Park Brooklyn NY. Taken by our relative Tony Mistretta 4x5 Professional Color Slide - likely Ektachrome. The picture was severely faded. I worked on it for a hour. This is a scanned 8x10 print where the black border actually exists as a result of the transfer positive color printing process. I left it in to preserve the tell-tale technical nature of this late 1940s slide print. This was most likely printed by a Manhattan-class wedding/special occasion lab.

Whiskeygonebad on Flickr.com

Mom vamping in her satin dress on 13th Avenue with 57th Street behind her in 1948 Boro Park Brooklyn NY. I forgot to add that my Grandmother made this dress. She [Letizia] was a seamstress, sowing in the fine lining into fur coats in NYC. Satin was often used as lining and often there would be some yards left over from a shorted fur run. Grandma also did insanely fine embroidery that I have to remind myself to photograph. She took pride in trying to make her daughters look like millionaires on little better than a sweatshop salary. This is also proof that a dress need not be immodestly cut to look extra-feminine. With Grandma cutting, the dress is well below the knees of course.

Whiskeygonebad on Flickr.com

the date reads: WEEK OF MAY 31st, 1949, KODACHROME.

Boy, I wish I had more of this set!

My mom is second from left, I don't know who the others are, except her best friend geri bird is the one with the fabulous hat...

sparkleneely on Flickr.com

Brooklyn, early 1940s. Shorty was a friend of my Grand Aunt. I believe they were co-workers at a defense plant.

bcash67 on Flickr.com

My grandmother, Marie, 1940. I love her outfit – especially her necklace. And she’s carrying gloves – something you don’t see much of anymore! Actually, she wore gloves the rest of her life, while outside or driving - to keep her hands looking young – just like the rest of her.

iRememberlove21 on Flickr.com

Here's my mother in a very stylish dress, seated for her informal senior class photograph. These high school girls of the late 1940s and early 50's were as stylish as one could be while living in rural Louisiana.

Jim in Times Square on Flickr.com

Beautifully hand tinted 8X10 photo found in a whole suitcase full of one family's photos from the 1930s to the 1960s. The father may have been a professional photographer, or a talented amateur.

But what is most striking about this picture is what is written on the back: "Looking at this now - I realise I was carrying my daughter - how I wish those times could have given me the courage to ignore the moral issues and let nature take its course."

There were no pictures of a daughter in the collection. Found in Brighton, no other info, but the lady in the picture did have one son who is featured in lots of other pictures (1950s onwards).

Trevira on Flickr.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
us4848
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->