Vogue Paris October 2020 : Rianne van Rompaey by Carlijn Jacobs

It has a David Lachapelle for VI vibe.

I love it!

This is so sad. He should be at American vogue

Money talks. He's probably getting paid more for one Zara campaign than for a year's worth of editorials.

I'm surprised/shocked that Carlijn booked this cover, and more surprised that it's such a massive departure from her usually polished and mature work. I guess I can't b!tch and moan about that because I'm a huge stickler for photographers fine-tuning their work to suit the magazine's aesthetic instead of vice versa.
Interestingly enough Carlijn is the first female photographer under Alt to book a cover on her own. In a decade long run! Inez is of course I&V, and Claudia Knoepfel is only good enough for Miss Vogue and other filler edits.

I'm loving the vintage vibe of it! On the other hand, there's NO way that photo is the best one from her shoot. Her face is lifeless and her neck looks stiff.

Last edited by a moderator:
That cover is just fantastic. Rianne and Vogue Paris are the best combination possible. There is nothing better nowadays. And I love how Vogue Paris easily marched to the top position of all Vogue magazines, letting the formal leaders far behind. Congratulations.

IDK, I sort of love it. So cheesy, but it's memorable and is pretty glam compared to most fashion imagery post-pandemic onset.

Although Lola makes a very good point about Alt's Vogue not reflecting the times we live in...regardless of what kind of schtick we're seeing elsewhere, it is important for fashion to mirror the moment. Otherwise, it's kind of irrelevant TBH.

Although Lola makes a very good point about Alt's Vogue not reflecting the times we live in...regardless of what kind of schtick we're seeing elsewhere, it is important for fashion to mirror the moment. Otherwise, it's kind of irrelevant TBH.

I don't entirely agree with this. For me personally, her magazine is the most if not the only relevant Vogue left. When I think about reflection of the times we live in on the pages of Vogue, all I'm looking for is a reflection of the current season in fashion trends and clothing showcased on the latest runways. It's as simple as that.
The political events or anything that isn't fashion-related, but is relevant in other ways to the society has its place as written word articles inside of the magazine. Inside being the key word. Not on the cover, not as a selling-point or a gimmick, but inside. After all, Vogue is and always will be a fashion magazine. And as we've already seen it happen this year - even if they pretend they're something else for a month, eventually they all slither back to their luxury advertisers and fashion content. The very same fashion content they previously trashed as something that's rotting the world. So in my opinion, it's all a big sham. But not with Vogue Paris. They never pretended they're something they're not and Alt stayed true to the identity of her magazine. I respect that more than any gimmick from previous months.

Money talks. He's probably getting paid more for one Zara campaign than for a year's worth of editorials.

I'm surprised/shocked that Carlijn booked this cover, and more surprised that it's such a massive departure from her usually polished and mature work. I guess I can't b!tch and moan about that because I'm a huge stickler for photographers fine-tuning their work to suit the magazine's aesthetic instead of vice versa.
Interestingly enough Carlijn is the first female photographer under Alt to book a cover on her own. In a decade long run! Inez is of course I&V, and Claudia Knoepfel is only good enough for Miss Vogue and other filler edits.

Well that debunks Vogue Paris being the most relevant out of the four.

Carlijn is only the third woman to shoot the Vogue Paris cover in 25 years after Inez and Wendelien Daan. Interestingly all three of them are Dutch.

Carlijn is only the third woman to shoot the Vogue Paris cover in 25 years after Inez and Wendelien Daan. Interestingly all three of them are Dutch.

Wait, when did Wendelien Daan shoot a VP cover? Not second guessing what you've said, just pleasantly surprised!
Still don't get why Annemarieke van Drimmelen doesn't have a lot of Vogue covers. In fact, she doesn't even have a lot of Dutch covers to begin with.

Wait, when did Wendelien Daan shoot a VP cover? Not second guessing what you've said, just pleasantly surprised!
Still don't get why Annemarieke van Drimmelen doesn't have a lot of Vogue covers. In fact, she doesn't even have a lot of Dutch covers to begin with.
I know it’s quite random. She shot the September 2000 cover with Vivien Solari (that seems equally random now).

not a fan of the cover at all despite all the tacky bla bla bla everybody’s talking about.

her facial expression is somehow off, the glasses looked photoshopped onto her forehead and it’s exactly the same skin colour they used for the also not so good either cover for May 2019.

Rianne’s covers for Vogue Paris are hits and misses... so 2 good ones out of 5 is not that impressive unfortunately.
her first one was interesting and maybe the one by Sims... her best ones are still Vogue Italia by Meisel (OG) and Karim Sadli.

the only good thing about it is the vintage aesthetic that it alludes too.

also, Alt is NOT the best editor out there even if we go by comparison. her work is not that consistent and she has put some very bad covers out.

there’s not a single editor delivering good covers consistently right now. not a single one. at this point it’s like a darts game, sometimes they hit the center, most times they don’t.

I absolutely love the cover. And this being Vogue Paris has a lot to do with it, actually. The brand attached to the project matters. Sure I wouldn't have liked the same image if it was Vogue CS or whatever, because this image belongs in VP, and this team is the only one who can make it work for me. It's like the tacky stuff Karl did at Chanel that worked, and then when someone else tried to do it, it looked cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->