Vogue Philippines May 2024 : Rosie Sula by Gabriel Nivera

I really doubt they chose the best image for their cover this month. What I'm getting here is that she's about to sneeze or reach orgasm instead or singing a hymn for the T'boli tribe. What a waste of someone whose legacy in the community is unmatched.

I'm more excited to see the other editorials especially Julian's, the guy on my display photo, by Borgy Angeles. There are also heavy-hitters on this issue based on the cover blurbs—including KZ and Felip who have well-established names in the music scene.

Don't get me wrong, I love this edition despite my snarky comments about its identity and how critical I am with Bea Valdes. While some of their covers and cover stars are lackluster for the sake of pretentions, their original editorials are always delightful to see.

This cover's being praised in the Philippines right now. It looks like the cultural aspect of this edition won't go anywhere soon. I just wish that the people who are encouraging Bea and her team to promote culture and tradition over fashion do really buy this magazine since their sold copies every month are low compared to their publishing house's other fashion magazine (the rebranded and much improved MEGA).

Next month's going to be their Pride issue. I won't be surprised if they feature Babaylans/Asogs (Filipino shamans that are known for their androgyny) on the cover.

Honestly, I'm much more excited to see Danyl Geneciran's Vogue Man next month. That guy knows how to attract readership based on his reputation.

I love the vibrance and textures though I wish they had chosen a different shot showing her in a more flattering way since it still is a magazine cover. I like how Vogue Phillipines is carving out its own niche.

This cover's being praised in the Philippines right now. It looks like the cultural aspect of this edition won't go anywhere soon. I just wish that the people who are encouraging Bea and her team to promote culture and tradition over fashion do really buy this magazine since their sold copies every month are low compared to their publishing house's other fashion magazine (the rebranded and much improved MEGA).

Next month's going to be their Pride issue. I won't be surprised if they feature Babaylans/Asogs (Filipino shamans that are known for their androgyny) on the cover.

Honestly, I'm much more excited to see Danyl Geneciran's Vogue Man next month. That guy knows how to attract readership based on his reputation.

How many copies are sold each month? (Both Vogue & MEGA).. I'm curious about the circulation number of another SEA fashion magazines..

I like what Vogue Philippines are doing. They are completely focused on their own country, culture(s), people, style, and it's always a pleasure to check out their new cover.

On the other hand, while this feels interesting and exotic to me (me being a faraway European), I do understand the complaints coming from the Filipino members here, as this may be nothing new or extraordinary to them, and they want the "real", globally mainstream approach to fashion, as opposed to the ethnic one.
Then again, I am not familiar with how the general public there resonates with this edition (and high fashion enthusiasts are always a minority), - whether this is something they like, or if they prefered to see this lady dressed in Dior or Balenciaga. At least @crmsn says it's being praised.

As for the cover, yes, the facial expression is weird, but the colours are great. It's really vibrant.

I like what Vogue Philippines are doing. They are completely focused on their own country, culture(s), people, style, and it's always a pleasure to check out their new cover.
Yes I think this is the main advantage of being licensed, as opposed to being part of Condé Nast -- it seems like the licensees have so much more freedom to be country-specific, rather than being under AW and having to use reprints, etc.

But I wish they would at least do two covers, with one more focused on fashion. Vogue Philippines seems to be more of a culture/general interest magazine than it is a fashion one.

Before anything else, hoping Vogue Philippines gets to compensate their staff properly. There's a huge turnaround of Vogue Ph employees, and their editorial assistants are asked to do whims of the editors which is beyond their job description, including them paying for flights and fix visas, and they haven't even paid the staff back.

And with regards to the cover, is it a fashion magazine or National Geographic?

How many copies are sold each month? (Both Vogue & MEGA).. I'm curious about the circulation number of another SEA fashion magazines..

Vogue Philippines is a bit expensive for the ordinary Filipino consumer, given the economic situation of the country, people would rather spend on something else.

And the printing is always bad, especially if you compare it to Vogue magazines from other countries. Ironically Vogue Japan is way cheaper (converted), and Vogue Korea- people would rather buy those.

Their crease always gets damaged everytime it gets opened. I hope they use other paper for their covers ASAP. However, other Vogue editions wish they had the quality of paper Vogue PH uses for their pages. It's thicker and more durable than the usual magazine paper.

I bought this issue last week and I must say that it's such a strong follow up to their amazing beauty issue last month. The cover story, of course, doesn't make sense for a fashion magazine (Rosie only wears one outfit that doesn't get credited), but the other editorials make up for it. I wonder how they'll gonna top this with their Visayas-themed issues in the future. Perhaps a Lara Stone/ French Vogue-inspired cover with Iloilo's death mask?

Like I expected, Danyl Geneciran's Vogue debut is an absolute blessing. His section feels complete and concise. I cannot wait to see his inaugural print issue for Vogue Man this June.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonic boom
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->