What designers/lines/brands run very small?

elschic111

Reaction score
Hello all..:wink:

I'm fairly new to tfs but from what I have seen so far i love it! there are people here who actually know fashion..and i don't think that can really be said for many forums i have come across. it's so good!!

I have searched the forums for "sizing," "runs small," "run small," "fitted," etc etc and I did not see a thread like this that already exists so hopefully it doesn't. If it does, my apologies mods, this can be moved by all means.

I saw that there is a plus size thread and I thought it might be helpful to have one for those of us who are smaller than average and need help finding designers, lines, brands that run very small.

I was thinking we could share stats and then what brands fit us. Or recommend lines to each other based on our experiences. Perhaps there is a particular piece from a designer for which you don't know your sizing but you are thinking about ordering a piece (not necessarily on NAP)?

Personally, I live in Washington, DC, and after a lack of success finding clothes I like that are small enough to fit, I am making the trip to NY :woot:. I will only have 2 or 3 days there I think, so my time is limited and I'm hoping that information on this thread will help me plan better...and I would love to be of any help to others in this situation!

OK, here we go:

my stats: 5'6, 32-23-33

my body is very thin generally, but slightly smaller on top than bottom. i have slightly wide hips. my body shape is 100% natasha poly (minus 5 inches :( ).

for pants, i like a low rise because my legs are long, thus (because i am only 5'6), my torso is kind of short. low rise looks like normal rise on me.

things that fit me correctly:

arch indigo venus jeans = size 24
victoria's secret sweater dress = size xxs
sabina zest silk dress = size xs
paige denim = size 24 (but im looking for skinny jeans..so that's just for size)
sportmax = i seem to be okay in size S
D&G = xs most of the time is small enough
buddhist punk tees in P are only a little bit loose

brands that are too big in their smallest sizes:

vince, bennetton, DVF, da nang, any mall brands like express, banana republic, or jcrew, escada, development, tracy reese, cynthia steffe, rebecca taylor, a. cheng, BCBG, bebe. i can't even fit into H&M or Zara. the list goes on and on, but i don't want to bore! this was just to give a general idea.

designers brands i am looking to buy pieces from in nyc:
(yeah don't worry i'm aware of the price differences from the brands listed above, but also aware of the difference and quality and appeal imo...)

rick owens
stella
tao comme des garcons
tuleh
isabel marant
phillip lim
miguelina
alexander wang
mason by michelle mason
as well as the more traditional designers...and japanese designers!!
i'm also looking for sweaters and tees that are VERY small..and hopefully a plain white blouse and some pants. hahaha i am going to go crazy..

well i hope this post gets some responses, im sorry for the length lol i am a bit desperate at this point! even if it is just to list some designers you find run very small..i'd appreciate it so much..and i'll do my best to help you guys find things that fit you as well..B) im just crazy about fashion..thanks in advance..

I can't really help on which brands for women have a thin fit. However, I can say that many more pricy, well-known designers will have you pinned at the store..and have the clothing sent to a fine tailor, sometimes free of charge.

thanks seeing double! im considering that but i hope to avoid some of the hassle as i'll be there for such a short time..and might order somethings before i go.

balenciaga runs tiny
rick owens
mcqueen

Rick Owens is the smallest I've tried.
Prada high waist pencil skirt is the smallest among the peers.
McQueen women is actually normal. I compared a Dell'aqua skirt and McQueen skirt side by side and they are exactly the same size. Elschic, Italian 38 will be slightly big on you considering your waist. Try Stella's size 36.
I was told that Balenciaga's sizing this winter is slightly bigger...i.e. they fit normally.

er, why dont you put on some weight if almost no brands fit you. :huh:

Try Temperley. Price points are pretty high but their sale is starting soon I think. Even if you don't buy anything there it's worth it to stop in. Their Soho studio is BEAUTIFUL and the sales girls there are so nice- not pretentious at all. As soon as you walk in they offer you a drink, they leave you alone to look, they don't crowd you, etc., but they are totally willing to help you if you ask them.

I am in the same boat as you- I am extremely petite and then a little bigger on bottom. It's okay for me to fit into pants and skirts, but my shoulders, chest, and everything else are so small that everything looks huge on me. They have some size 2s but their size 4s are like the equivalent of a zero. I find that I have a little trouble filling out the bust of some of her dresses but it's nothing that can't be fixed with sewn in cups. It's on Broome and Mercer, 2nd floor loft. Highly recommend it!!!!

Awww you're so small! Somewhat jealou, but I guess I'm small too. Don't be sad though, even though it's frustrating finding clothes sometimes, there are always tailors. I usually tailor my own clothes. It's nicebeing thin.. think of how hard some other people work at it!

try helen wang if you're going to be in soho...

i'm very small as well... i'm always always the smallest size in every line
and from what i can recall:

runs small enough/fits: isabel marant, phillip lim XS, ysl 34, gucci 38, blumarine, sass & bide, roberto cavalli, christian dior, emporio armani, missoni and m missoni, moschino and moschino cheap & chic, rebecca taylor 0, lacoste 34, citizens of humanity 24, true religion jeans 24, bcbg 00/XS, louis vuitton 34

a little inconsistent: chanel 34 (sometimes a little too big), d&g and dolce & gabbana (sometimes 36, sometimes 38), matthew williamson, theory 00 (sometimes too big), juicy couture P (sweaters and jackets ok, other pieces are sometimes too big), 7 for all mankind (really really inconsistent)

too big: escada, prada, miumiu, marc jacobs and marc by marc jacobs, carolina hererra (way too big), ralph lauren (all of them are HUGE), chloe, roland mouret (just a tad), burberry, john paul gaultier, anna sui, paper denim and cloth jeans, vanessa bruno

aww, thank you so much for your help! :blush:

haha yes, the funny thing about being small is you want to be small (not that im ana, mind you--i eat more than my fair share of ben and jerrys..^_^ )but at the same time it is not fun running around looking like a hobo when you can't find anything that fits :cry:.

as for tailoring, i've been hesitant to go that route because i fear that in my area the tailors might be used to tailoring non-fashiony clothes..and that i might not end up with the cut i was looking for. i would lovvve to find a good one though. also..i guess i don't really know how to judge a piece for how it can be tailored. i guess i need to search for threads about that then!

well if you buy something from say, chanel, they'll have an in house tailor who's familiar with the work... i don't think you'd have to get EXTREMELY drastic tailoring done unless you go to labels that run way too big already. my only bad experience with tailors was on this fur/cashmere coat i got... they had the buttons reinforced for the removable fur and it wasn't a clean job, otherwise, shape-wise i've never been able to notice.

I am small too... my bottom half is sometimes 2 sizes smaller than my top half which is a 2-4 US size. I am have the body of a boy with boobs - my torso is like a triangle - square bony shoulders and very small waist and tummy no hips!!! On me tailored clothes tops look best although I do love peasant - floaty tops they just look bad on my body. For this reason I live in jeans as skirts and trousers are always too big and spend money on my jackets and tops. I find that Gucci, Marc Jacobs and Calvin Klein are enormous but Prada and Louis Vuitton tops work well for me bottoms still on the large side. Chloe can be inconsistent. Bottega Veneta might work too. I don't know about other small people but I find the volume trend deeply unflattering - but perhaps it is for both the small and the large end of the size spectrum.

thanks!

thanks so much to all!

is there anyone out there who needs help with this?

also..i was just wondering if anyone can reccommend some brands/lines/designers for very very small blouses or sweaters..haha im so bad, i really don't want to be a nuisance though..:P

thanks!

Find a good tailor.

You can also try ordering clothing from overseas stores and having it shipped to you. If you're super thin, you might have good luck with clothing from stores in Asia, because a good number of people there are generally small-framed and thin.

elschic111 - vintage stuff on ebay..I see so many gorgeous dresses for tiny waists..

very helpful thread! im pretty short and im pretty tiny but not as small as the op. im really sad that a lot of these designers dont have tiny sizes. its a hassle not knowing because i cant order from places like yoox without the hassle of returning. im a us 0 with a 24 inch waist. do you think i could fit into a phillip lim 2? how does commes run?

^ I wear a Philip Lim 10 & believe he runs true to size. The smallest size in my closet is a Marc Jacobs 6 blouse. I also have a size 10 jacket. MJ is all over the place ...

i'm around the same size as you, except i'm petite.
too big: acne jeans dresses 34/2, zara XS, s.w.o.r.d. leather jackets S, fcuk 2, Alexander Wang 2/XS
just right: see by chloe 38, h&m 2/XS

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breemoca
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->