Which Model(s) Have You Met In Person?

... but she seems to me as if she is reserved and shy as opposed to rude. To me that is better than being fake nice like many girls seem to be any day.

Yeah, that's my impression, too, and I also like that better than fake nice, or better to say - being introverted myself - I "understand" it better than the super extroverted girls.

To me she seemed always nice, but she's less "playing the game" than other girls, and I have a couple of pictures of her where she seems very much with herself ( lit. "intro-verted") even though she's in the middle of a huge crowd. I don't want to say I'm right and thatrascal is wrong, but IMO it's got a lot to do with personal perception and after all, maybe she just had a bad day.

And yeah, I tend to be defensive when it comes to model encounters, too.... I'm kind of aware how weird and maybe questionable this amateur photographer - after show situation is, I'm also aware that it is an extreme situation for the models, especially very young, very shy girls. I don't want to make use of it and then complain how terrible everyone was. And I think a huge lot of encounters described in this thread happened during fashion weeks.

Also most negative impressions we describe here are more of a "vibes" thing. it's so not nice to see someone for a few seconds in an extreme situation and then rumble on the internet how bad that person was.... With this I don't mean thatrascal (your situation was different) or anyone else in particular, just, you know, I get those "when I saw you for the first time I thought you were terrible arrogant" comments, and after all, models are just human beings, either...

Yeah, that's my impression, too, and I also like that better than fake nice, or better to say - being introverted myself - I "understand" it better than the super extroverted girls.

To me she seemed always nice, but she's less "playing the game" than other girls, and I have a couple of pictures of her where she seems very much with herself ( lit. "intro-verted") even though she's in the middle of a huge crowd. I don't want to say I'm right and thatrascal is wrong, but IMO it's got a lot to do with personal perception and after all, maybe she just had a bad day.

And yeah, I tend to be defensive when it comes to model encounters, too.... I'm kind of aware how weird and maybe questionable this amateur photographer - after show situation is, I'm also aware that it is an extreme situation for the models, especially very young, very shy girls. I don't want to make use of it and then complain how terrible everyone was. And I think a huge lot of encounters described in this thread happened during fashion weeks.

Also most negative impressions we describe here are more of a "vibes" thing. it's so not nice to see someone for a few seconds in an extreme situation and then rumble on the internet how bad that person was.... With this I don't mean thatrascal (your situation was different) or anyone else in particular, just, you know, I get those "when I saw you for the first time I thought you were terrible arrogant" comments, and after all, models are just human beings, either...

I get what you're saying completely. Actually, I do not expect anyone to be cheerful and smiley all the time. It also has nothing to do with playing the game, you just have to be pleasant because you never know who is who or whether that lowly assistant will be someone someday, especially when your career as a model rests so much in someone else's decision.

Let me give you an example, at the risk of shooting myself in the foot if any of my colleagues from work are in here and recognize me. Now that the season is over, there is a lot going on in terms of campaigns, look books, editorials etc etc. a couple weeks ago we were in a meeting with a designer discussing a shoot (I won't say what for) and Daria's name came up along with another model. They both have the same features and their body of work is similar. We were undecided, so everyone in the meeting spoke briefly about their choice. In that moment, I was conflicted because all I could remember was that one encounter with her and even if I told myself that I had to be professional, I just couldn't shake it off. I guess that's just a part of human nature. At the time I met her, I wasn't where I am today professionally and the attitude put me off... Now in that meeting, I didn't bash her or said anything negative, it was just easier to support the other girl.

The guys on the other hand, even when they keep to themselves, they're usually pleasant. Also far easier to work with.

angel rutledge is actually incredibly nice and a friend of mine. ondria is super sweet too, especially to strangers. i am no stranger to her, so she's obviously super nice to me but she knows all of the photographers and loves to take photos for them. i've met alice metza a few times as well and she's so cool and soooo appreciative. heather kemesky is also super sweet, greta varlese loves to talk, fei fei sun is super sweet, frederikke is a bit shy

@ThatRascal
I totally get what you're saying. I'm not working in the business, but in my business, and in basically any business, it's just important to be friendly to people. Doesn't mean you have to be smiley all the time, nobody is, but especially in hierarchy situations, it's just never a good idea to act as if you were something better, even if you are 'ranked' higher in that specific moment. Goes without saying and for any kind of business in my opinion, and I guess it's even more important in the fashion industry, where so much depends on wether or not you're easy to work with.

Still, if it doesn't expose you too much, could you elaborate why exactly her behavior threw you off?

Let me give you an example, at the risk of shooting myself in the foot if any of my colleagues from work are in here and recognize me. Now that the season is over, there is a lot going on in terms of campaigns, look books, editorials etc etc. a couple weeks ago we were in a meeting with a designer discussing a shoot (I won't say what for) and Daria's name came up along with another model. They both have the same features and their body of work is similar. We were undecided, so everyone in the meeting spoke briefly about their choice. In that moment, I was conflicted because all I could remember was that one encounter with her and even if I told myself that I had to be professional, I just couldn't shake it off. I guess that's just a part of human nature. At the time I met her, I wasn't where I am today professionally and the attitude put me off... Now in that meeting, I didn't bash her or said anything negative, it was just easier to support the other girl.

I have never met Daria but as I fan and someone who follows her closely, I can just see that she's friends with a lot of (powerful) people within the industry and that people admire her work ethics. She's been successful for years and that would've never happened if she had a bad personality.

So one encounter with a stranger that didn't go smoothly doesn't mean she's a b!tch

Last edited by a moderator:
So one encounter with a stranger that didn't go smoothly doesn't mean she's a b!tch

Yes! And what's more, it's a bit dissapointing to see how one minor encounter (might have?) cost her a gig. I suppose my credulous Geminian outlook believe that people would always strive to toe a more objective line, she's supposed to be booked for her looks, not her personality. I suppose it tells you a lot about the people who make these decisions. And anyway, I'd rather have her stay true to her personality, than going the crowd-pleasing desperado route (see Joan Smalls).

Actually, despite of having always thought that Daria was a nice person, I am a bit dissaointed in her after reading what ThatRascal said and I do understand him at supporting another girl. Modelling is like any other business in the world, where it's not just your skills and your professionalism is what matters, but your personality too. And, I must say that if I had the same encounter with Daria as what he described, I believe I would do the same :P

wow, this is escalating quickly and with so much aggression. I simply stated what my experience was with meeting Daria and I said I was disappointed because of the reaction I received and that she's a model I like. I never called her a b*tch or any other names.

Fast forward a couple of years, I said what happened at work and maybe it's my fault for divulging that much information. Looking back, it was unprofessional... That being said, I ask those who feel so insulted to go back to what I stated. I never called the girl a b*tch, I never said I expected her to be cheerful 24/7. I also stated clearly that nothing negative was said about her, just that it was EASIER, to support someone else based on a past experience. When two people have similar features and body of work, what else are you going to make hiring dcisiins on?? There's a reason why the girls who are considered "cool" or who have "personality" work so much, despite having huge numbers of "haters." You hire people you want to be able to spend an entire day or days on a set with. Despite the snark from her fans, I don't even believe Daria would be that aggressive.

As for playing the game and being fake, newsflash, this entire industry is based on being "fake." From the people down to the images you see in ads and magazines. Learning to deal with people to get ahead is called being a smart business person. Sheesh...

^ don't make her fans angry :wink:
My friend didn't find Daria really warm either though. Maybe she had a bad day or whatever. For me the amount of friends doesn't mean everything, since i also know really sweet girls with a small group op friends and ones with big groups that aren't so nice.

anyway, this was your experience. It was one encounter. I don't understand why people are second guessing or falling over this.

Yeah i do get you would support the other girl if the quality stays high with the other model. I guess you were not in the only one in the group so there must be more in favour to the other girl.

You know who is really beautiful and friendly though? Julia Bergshoeff. Gorgeous.

I never said I expected her to be cheerful 24/7. I also stated clearly that nothing negative was said about her, just that it was EASIER, to support someone else based on a past experience.

You do realise how much you are contradicting yourself in that post. I mean, on the one hand it's fine for her not to be pleasant 24/7, and yet on the other hand you're justifying the choice not to back her, which appears to be purely based on that incidental unpleasantness? The distinguishing factor between her and the rival model wasn't their degree of professionality, but how pleasant they were. Lol, if people in my country used your hiring criteria, half of Britain would be plunged into unemployment. The modelling industry really isn't a walk in the park, lol.
But again, I don't mind Daria, or Aymeline Valade's, cool and awkward demeanor. It's what ultimately humanise them. It's a welcoming variant to the sea of American sweethearts all over pop culture and in real life, with a perpetual Colgate grin stuck across their mouth.

oh guys :rolleyes:

Homegirl just glared at me, turned around and walked off. My friends who were there were like "whoa! what crawled into her panties?!" ...

This is from ThatRascal's initial post. I don't know if anybody has even read it, judging from some of the comments.
So, you guys actually think that you wouldn't mind at aaaalll and if you had to support her or that other girl that was really nice to you, you'd be tooootally unbiased? Yeah right.

Also, even though I like Daria and think she seems shy rather than impolite most of the time, there is a difference between not having "a perpetual Colgate grin" on your face and being disrespectful (or at least very unfriendly) to people, no batter how bad your day was.

This is a thread to discuss personal impressions. Some people need to calm down. My, my, to get so worked up over defending someone you don't know... :rolleyes:

My friend saw Valentina Zelyaeva at Art Basel. Apparently she was very charming and polite.

This is a thread to discuss personal impressions. Some people need to calm down. My, my, to get so worked up over defending someone you don't know... :rolleyes:

I know right. It's possible to support and love a model's work and acknowledge her personality is average. Great personalities help many girls who have a lot of haters but let's not pretend you need to be a nice person to be successful because there are plenty of top models who aren't.

Has anyone met Lexi? What is she like in real life? How about Alexandra or Harleth?

^ Why apparently? She seems very charming and polite in her posts.

The word apparently in this sense means 'according to this person.' Not anything to do with them saying they thought she wasn't polite before that :smile:

I know right. It's possible to support and love a model's work and acknowledge her personality is average. Great personalities help many girls who have a lot of haters but let's not pretend you need to be a nice person to be successful because there are plenty of top models who aren't.

Has anyone met Lexi? What is she like in real life? How about Alexandra or Harleth?

I haven't actually met her, but I stood next to her for a period of time and rode in an elevator with just her and one other guy. He worked for Milk Studios, not sure what he does, but she was really nice and cool to him. Didn't acknowledge me, but, hey, she had no idea who I was :smile:

I know a lot of ppl here don't really like her *as a model* but, I've met Cara Delevingne in Sao Paulo, at the ''Bo.Bô'' store. As expected, she was super nice and sweet to her fans, extremely approachable and etc. She's absolutely stunning and striking in person!

ThatRascal, yeah I understand you, too. I would not have been too fond of your meeting with her, either, and it was also more than just a "vibes" thing... I also understand that this plays a role in business decisions. I mean, I'm already never too keen on someone I've had a bad encounter with, even here in this forum.

I have seen (rather than actually met) Lexi, Alexandra and Harleth, but can't really say much. Alexandra IMO is the kind of girl that smiles a lot without coming across as fake, Lexi I admittedly didn't like much at our first meeting, just based on "vibes" but I started liking her as a model over the time, and when I saw her again, I got much better vibes from her, so as I said, "vibes" are a very subjective thing. Don't know, the second time she came more across like someone who does not take herself too seriously. Harleth was friendly, too. But maybe someone else can tell us more about them.

I also saw Cara twice, and the first time was during time when Chanel was in Edinburgh for the metiers d'art collection. Cara was in the street with her model friends and Derek Blasberg, noone took much notice of them, and I didn't dare to bother them. But Cara seemed to be just the way she's in interviews and social media. Like making faces all the time while talking. Since then I always disagree when someone accuses her of being fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcad1947
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->