Who Will Succeed John Galliano At Dior? #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
^Finally it's been almost 7 months since Galliano got fired. It's about time to put an end in this saga and announce the new designer. By the way nymag forgot to mention that they were a big contributing part to the 'rumours reaching new heights of ridiculousness' with all their recent articles about Alexander Wang taking over :rolleyes:

really? cause I have that picture of Karlie Kloss from the last haute couture collection wearing what looked like a small dunce hat, and looking very clownish. And that collection wasn't even touched by Galliano.

From what Armstrong was shown of the spring 2012 collection, she deduced that it will be devoid of the theatrical frippery like pom-poms and "cartoonish proportions" that Galliano was so renowned for.

really? cause I have that picture of Karlie Kloss from the last haute couture collection wearing what looked like a small dunce hat, and looking very clownish. And that collection wasn't even touched by Galliano.

This is so sad, Sidney for me trying destroying the image of John! More and more....:angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just about to mention the pom-pom and "cartoon" proportion thing...pretty sure the only one @ Dior who really did that was Billy-boy...for petes sake---Gaytten put pom-poms even on the darn hats!

I'm pretty sure they already hired the new designer.
I think it's time to bet!

If Gaytten is working confortable in his next collection
and all his couture pieces were sold and wore by the winner of miss Kate Perry...

Well I think he will be the designer of Dior.

^I'd rather get shot in the face than experience the Dior HC F/W 2011 disaster every season from now on.

This is so sad, Sidney for me trying destroying the image of John! More and more....:angry:
Glad you understood, that's exactly how I read it. they try to make it seem like Galliano's collections were trash when in fact they were some of the most memorable pieces of any designer collections (and I am including the cartoonish looks). Not many people can pull off what Galliano did for Dior, as shown recently in the last HC collection by Gayten, who failed to hone in that fine balance between genius and madness.

dont tell me it is stefano pilati, i am bored by his YSL leaving rumour

The full article, from telegraph.co.uk

For reasons it must wish didn't exist, Christian Dior has been the most-talked about fashion house of 2011. From the moment the footage of John Galliano's racist outburst went viral in March, the house has been under siege. Galliano's guilty verdict a few weeks ago only intensified speculation about his replacement.

For six months, Dior has seemed to struggle to control events, its reputation buffeted by speculation about Galliano's successor. Yesterday however, I accepted an invitation from Sidney Toledano, the president of Dior, to the Paris headquarters for a preview of the collection to be shown tomorrow.

Downstairs, its huge boutique was by no means deserted. There are, it seems, still women prepared to pay €3,000 (£2,600) for a fox-trimmed suede skirt or €75 (£65) for a small milk jug, even from a label whose lustre could do with a polish.

Upstairs, into the house's heart, the atmosphere within the Dior-Grey salons seemed similarly upbeat. Perhaps they were on a sugar high from all the KitKats and Coca-Cola on offer outside the studio on the third floor where models kept arriving for fittings. "Business has been great," said Toledano, although he declined to go into detail. He also refused to reveal who will succeed Galliano, but said: "We will have news in the next few weeks."

Has the appointment been made? Silence, not even a twitch. Will it be Marc Jacobs, as widely anticipated? If so, what will be the ramifications for Louis Vuitton, Jacob's current home and LVMH's greatest cash cow? A pause. Then, "There is an old proverb, those who don't know, speak loudly. Those who know, stay silent." He remained silent, then slipped away for a meeting.

Inside the studio, Bill Gaytten, long-time Galliano associate and acting head of design, had selected about a dozen outfits for us to see. Impeccably made, both inside and out, they were far more discreet than those the house produced under Galliano. No mink pom-poms, no cartoonish proportions.

Because we agreed not to review the collection I cannot say much more, but there were bursts of coral and red, including the intricate knitted dress I snapped on my mobile phone.

Accessories were similarly pared-down and chic: a new plain leather tote with contrast-coloured leather lining has been christened Diorissima (after an original 1950s Dior scent) rather than Addict (a Dior scent from the Galliano era).

Stephen Jones has once more designed the hats, but they are simple, adaptable leather cloches, rather than theatrical headpieces of old. It's as if the Dior customer's palate is being cleansed.

While it must surely be galling holding the fort yet knowing that all assume you will be passed over, Gaytten seemed in good humour. "It's been a tough period, but what can I say? My lips are sealed, but all will be revealed." As for this collection, he said "it's definitely more about reality, than fantasy. The fantasy narrative was very John. We've gone for classic Dior shapes, but contemporary."

Not too much reality, however: a caramel dress in soft glove leather looked like a tragedy waiting to happen. "How would you clean that?" I said. "Don't ask me," Gaytten replied. "We just design them."

They should have someone who has couture in their blood, who knows it better than most. it should be LACROIX! he hasn't been able to pursue his talent in two years. he deserves it. his couture is better than pretty much all of the other's. i think he would be able to have so much power at dior. his clothes have always been statements. but the thing is, sidney toledano seems like a control freak. so he would have to let Lacroix have freedom. But lacroix is the obvious answer. Just think of Ab Fab. "It's Lacroix dahling, LACROIX!!!!"

Yep, Lacroix should take this messy house, but he is not the man who can design for cash, Arnault had bad relationship with him before.

It's as if the Dior customer's palate is being cleansed.
I'm sorry, for how many years is it exactly that I had been bored with the wearability of John Galliano's Dior? Galliano hasn't showed "mink pom-poms" or "cartoonish proportions" in a ready-to-wear collection since I've been into fashion - that's how long.
And that is what we're talking about, Dior's next pret-a-porter collection, not one of Galliano's highly anticipated couture shows, which, I might add, may have been extravagant and flamboyant, but nevertheless, absolutely genius, so genius that the House of Dior woke up to see them.

00020m.jpg

style.com

Last edited by a moderator:
^ that's what I'm talking about right there. couture under Galliano (that) vs couture under Gaytten (dunce hats with pom poms and tinsel)

who do they think they're fooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invisigoth696969
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->