What's Next in John Galliano's Career?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely find him credible ... to me the key words are what he said in the article, that he was hearing voices. I think that really clarifies the place he had gotten to as a result of all the substance abuse, etc. I believe people can really lose themselves & open themselves up to all that's nasty out there ... sounds to me like that's what he did.

To me, he does not look good ... I would much rather see him with a mobile face. One person mentioned he wasn't 'bringing it' & I suspect the fact that most of his face isn't moving is responsible for that impression. People express a lot of emotion and sincerity with their facial expressions.

It sounds to me like he truly has done a lot of soul-searching ... it does sound like this experience has been incredibly helpful to him as a human being.

I think the lack of facial expressions might be a result of botox. those plump lips do not look natural. :lol:

A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts. That's all I have to say.

Tbh. I'm glad that he's doing better, that he is healthy and do wish him good luck... but I don't buy his excuses about that night. What he said on VF and Charlie Rose have such an obvious PR hand. Blackout drinker? Can't remember anything from that night? Said anti-semitic offenses because he was researching about Rudolf Nureyev? Repressed anger from childhood? Please.

That interview made me so sad. Its tragic to see how far people can fall due to addiction. :cry:

has anyone but kate moss (gown worn at her wedding) worn any galliano or dior by galliano items since the incidents on the red carpet or at a high profile event?

Jessica Stam wore Dior Couture by John Galliano to the 2012 Met Gala.
Jessica-Stam-Dior-Couture-light-blue-dress-Met-Gala-2012.jpg

stylefrizz.com

Tbh. I'm glad that he's doing better, that he is healthy and do wish him good luck... but I don't buy his excuses about that night. What he said on VF and Charlie Rose have such an obvious PR hand. Blackout drinker? Can't remember anything from that night? Said anti-semitic offenses because he was researching about Rudolf Nureyev? Repressed anger from childhood? Please.
Maybe it's just me (it's absolutely not, but whatever), but I've personally seen people get blackout drunk who DON'T have an active drinking problem and simply made the mistake of having a few too many drinks in one night, so it certainly seems believable that someone who DOES have what by all accounts sounds like quite a hardcore addiction would get to that point quite easily and frequently. Then of course there's the added benefit of a potent cocktail of medications, which would only make matters worse. If you've never witnessed the morning after a hard-lived night where someone doesn't even remember how they got home, let alone what happened the night before, trust me when I tell you that nobody needs to pay a PR person to make up such a realistic and frankly pretty mundane story. It happens all the time to all sorts of people, so why the cynicism in this case?

As for the Rudolph Nureyev thing, Galliano wasn't the one who said anything about that. Someone else, I think it was Jeremy Healy, was theorizing as to why anti-Jewish sentiment may have been lurking around in his head and came up with that as one possible explanation.

has anyone but kate moss (gown worn at her wedding) worn any galliano or dior by galliano items since the incidents on the red carpet or at a high profile event?

were any items comissioned to him since the incident besides the wedding dress?

i like the new galliano much better than the old one. (more meek and more thoughtful) never really cared for his grandiose showmanship before.

his Couture SS 2011 for Dior worn by loads of people after the incident.
On top of my head is Michelle Williams in a My Week With Marilyn premiere

Michelle-Williams-Christian-Dior-Movie-Premiere.jpg

fabsugar.com

What was very interesting was the moment Charlie hinted that Johns collections might've suffered under his addiction (the decline of the quality of his collections for Dior after circa 2007/2008 has been subject to a lot of discussions on this forum) which John denied.

Also, that moment when they talked about Steve Robinson and Charlie said that he died of a heart attack, John took a little break to agree. It has been revealed after the scandal that he died in a drug-related incident (I don't remember if it was an overdose or a shooting) if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe it's just me (it's absolutely not, but whatever), but I've personally seen people get blackout drunk who DON'T have an active drinking problem and simply made the mistake of having a few too many drinks in one night, so it certainly seems believable that someone who DOES have what by all accounts sounds like quite a hardcore addiction would get to that point quite easily and frequently. Then of course there's the added benefit of a potent cocktail of medications, which would only make matters worse. If you've never witnessed the morning after a hard-lived night where someone doesn't even remember how they got home, let alone what happened the night before, trust me when I tell you that nobody needs to pay a PR person to make up such a realistic and frankly pretty mundane story. It happens all the time to all sorts of people, so why the cynicism in this case?

As for the Rudolph Nureyev thing, Galliano wasn't the one who said anything about that. Someone else, I think it was Jeremy Healy, was theorizing as to why anti-Jewish sentiment may have been lurking around in his head and came up with that as one possible explanation.
I absolutely agree. Hell, I've even experienced nights myself where I can't remember what happened for the life of me because I drank too much. I, by no means, have a drinking problem, but have certainly had my own wild nights. So, yes, the idea that John, who clearly had a problem, could end up black out drunk every night is both entirely believably and not entirely surprising.

In regards to bringing up repressed childhood anger? Entirely believable, too. Initially, I too felt like that sounded a little "excusey," but then I remembered, I've witnessed in a close acquaintance something similar. He, too, was a blackout drinker. I don't know if I could call him an alcoholic? But he certainly would drink himself into oblivion and awake the next day with little to no memory of the night before. I had always suspected that he was doing it to numb some kind of pain that stemmed from a hidden, repressed family turmoil (most likely, too, about being gay) that he never, ever shared with anyone - even with his closest friends. It became apparent that getting wasted brought out an alarmingly empty sadness in his eyes. The same kind of emptiness you can see in Galliano's face in the incriminating video.

The Vanity Fair article was excellent. The interview was heartbreaking. I hope he's able to continue on in this path of recovery and find success in any way possible. He was my introduction to fashion almost 10 years ago. I feel so attached to him, in that way.

A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts. That's all I have to say.

yeah because im sure john was really thinking he came from someone's a**hole:rolleyes: or are we going to pick and choose which words are actual sober thoughts?:innocent:

I definitely find him credible ... to me the key words are what he said in the article, that he was hearing voices. I think that really clarifies the place he had gotten to as a result of all the substance abuse, etc. I believe people can really lose themselves & open themselves up to all that's nasty out there ... sounds to me like that's what he did.

To me, he does not look good ... I would much rather see him with a mobile face. One person mentioned he wasn't 'bringing it' & I suspect the fact that most of his face isn't moving is responsible for that impression. People express a lot of emotion and sincerity with their facial expressions.

It sounds to me like he truly has done a lot of soul-searching ... it does sound like this experience has been incredibly helpful to him as a human being.

Yes, I have similar impressions; he seems changed and sincerely repentant as well.

^ I agree.

I think my explanation is a lot simpler than his, but I thought he was very sincere in wanting to know how those things came out of his mouth, and what he's saying is the best explanation he's been able to come up with.

I do absolutely agree that when you have pain that's not dealt with, many people do self-medicate, and it also results in blasts of totally inappropriate/outsize anger.

And littleathquakes, that & some fillers, yes :wink:

I also noticed that John seemed to be visibly upset by some of the video shown during the interview, like show footage.

Last edited by a moderator:
The full interview was heartbreaking to watch, he was so vulnerable, and i am no expert, could be reading it all wrong, but i still don't see 100 % recovered man there, it was hard to watch. I really wish him all the best, i hope he has good people around him, and comes through. Anyone else thought Charlie was pretty tough on him? Not saying he didn't deserve it, but it was full on!

I can assure you that there really is such a thing as a black-out from drinking. Two weeks ago a friend of mine (who drinks only on social occasions) had 7-8 drinks, embarassed himself completely at the party (and on the street :ninja:) and couldn't remember a thing next morning...he was literally struck dumb when I told him what had gone down the night before.

Considering that John was not only intoxicated on alcohol, but also on pills, then yes I really do believe 100% now that what he says is true. Obviously, his dismissal was absolutely justified and so was people's criticism, but just by taking a look at his shows, you can tell that there's no way this man can be a racist...everything from the models to the multi-culutral references point to a man who appreciates people and cultures from all over the world.

As for the repressed anger from childhood trauma, don't judge someone until you walk a mile in their shoes. Not everyone deals with their demons in a healthy manner, and instead of ostracizing them, we should show them tough love, which is exactly what Jonathan Newhouse did.

anyone have an update on the case against his lawyer for allegedly stealing 4.1 million from him?

See here (Galliano fires his lawyer)

John Galliano To Collaborate With Stephen Fry?
IS John Galliano really designing stage costumes for Stephen Fry? The designer is rumoured to be creating Fry's wardrobe when he plays Lady Bracknell in a new theatre production of Oscar Wilde's famous comedy, The Importance Of Being Earnest. A spokesperson for Galliano could not be reached for comment.

Fry - who is also directing the play - is said to be "in early talks" with Galliano and Roland Mouret for one of them to design costumes for his formidable character. Alexander McQueen's Sarah Burton was also suggested to be involved, although a representative from McQueen has already denied the reports.

The actor, presenter and author reportedly told his producers, David Pugh and Dafydd Rogers, that he wants the sets and gowns to receive acclaim when the show opens next year. A venue for the production has not been confirmed, but it is likely to take place at the Theatre Royal Drury Lane.

If speculation is true, this wouldn't be the first time that Galliano has dressed a theatre star - he worked as a dresser for the National Theatre in the early stages of his career, when he helped prepare Judi Dench's stage wardrobe for the same role.
vogue.co.uk

I was just looking through The Imagist when I stumbled upon this post.

SCOOP DU JOUR: A PRODIGIOUS RETURN
Submitted by WAYNE on Tue, 2013-07-23 23:11. FASHION FASHION GOSSIP GOSSIP SCOOP DU JOUR THE HISS SQUAD
Beauty-John-Galliano-Spring-Summer-2010-1024x913.preview.jpg

Spectacle begets spectacle.

"Hiss, hiss, " went the email in TI's inbox, echoing a tossed off slang made up 6 years ago to parody the way fashion kids whisper among each other.

"Which persona non grata is being brought into the fold?" It was an easy guess, because there had been none more "non grata" than he in recent time. And the process of the "comeback" certainly had been unfolding on TV , in magazines, by the water coolers of blue chip Conde Nast mags.... What made TI's teacup clatter to the floor was the revelation of WHO was invoking our non grata back to popular relevance. There's nothing like a $1m spectacle to make the masses realize just how spectacular our prodigal designer could be. Stay tuned! To Youtube.

photo via theimagist.com

It seems to be about John. Who else would need to be brought back into "the fold"? John has also been having an ongoing media retribution tour with tv interviews, magazine articles and secret meetings with Vogue editors. The picture Wayne used is a red-flag in my opinion. Something big seems to be on the horizon! :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katerinadimitriou
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->