Why Do Some Models Make It and Others Don’t?

DKNWHY

Reaction score
I tried looking for a thread specifically on this topic but couldn’t find it.

Why do certain models become highly sought after and others never attain much success? Is it simply an angency thing? Looks? Personality? Connections?

Asking this question in relation to older generations, such as the Supers of the 90s, and for current generations, including this social media modelling gen.

I saw Paloma Elsesser got discovered by Pat McGrath and then subsequently started a pretty successful career as a plus-sized model. Most of the model career stories I’ve read seem quite random and incidental.

I’m genuinely curious as to why some just blow up. Any comments/answers would be appreciated. This is my first thread by the way, so I’m sorry if I made any errors or messed up somewhere.

As with most things, it comes down to numerous factors, especially in such a competitive industry. It can be your agency and most definitely you go very far with the right connections. I know of one model who despite being just jaw dropping beautiful, never got anything, and then she switched agencies and suddenly her work just blew up, she suddenly started working for Victoria's Secret and all kinds of brands.

After all these years I've came down with the following conclussion: A successful model needs good management.

Of course it always starts with looks first and foremost, without it nobody will want to invest in you. Then luck and timing come to play, but it all crumbles if the model does not have good management (i.e. a booker who finds you the right jobs and an agency who constantly pushes you).

When the girl is pretty established, it's her turn to keep the momentum going, which is when modeling becomes a professional (and lucrative) career that keeps on growing by merit, because the model have made enough connections and relations to all the important people who keep booking her because she has the look and the talent. That's how I see it at least.

How are you defining successful, because the definition of successful within the industry is defined quite differently than what people outside of the industry often think. Within the industry successful means your working consistently and making money. I was a very successful model from the late 70’s thru much of the 80’s and for me it boiled down to timing, the push from my agency and relationships with key photographers and advertisers. Also there was a huge dose of luck in my case, because I was discovered waiting tables at a diner and I had the right look at the right time.

Yup:
- good looks (age and height too)
- timing
- strong agent
- powerful modeling agency
- connections
- willingness to do as many jobs as the agent sends you
- go to as many go-sees and castings as you can worldwide
- staying fit
- nowadays: to be business savvy and to be on social media 24/7
= BINGO = success in 2021.

However there are still, to this day, successful high fashion models who don't do social media and don't look for more business ventures à la Heidi Klum and they are still in demand and respected in this industry. Nonetheless it pains me to say it but it seems to be the old way of working, nowadays social media is ''almost'' everything success wise for top working models.

Don't forget personality. If you're kind, friendly, funny, always on time, remember everyone's name etc you can leave a good impression and in time also become friends with powerful people, even if your looks are just... mediocre. Why else would someone like, for example, Julia Nobis get so big. I hear she has an awesome personality.

^ Agreed, I think personality of the model has a lot more at play in his/her success than we think. Granted, I agree with everything that has been said so far and having great management at an agency that will push you is probably one of the biggest factors here. That being said, I know from personal experience that working with models who are fun and energetic, yet also knowledgeable about the industry, tend to make it farther than those who are not. I've worked with certain models who were...let's just say, either a bore to be around or had very negative, stuck-up energy. No one wants to work with someone like that (unfortunately you will always find some people with this attitude in the fashion industry but contrastingly, there are many amazing, kind, and supportive people in the industry too). All in all, while how the model looks is essential to initial success and having a supportive agency is what helps a model blow up and have a consistent career, having a personality that people vibe with is very important for continued success.

I think the most important components, these days, are equally distributed amongst personality & physical appearance/the “model look”. During castings for shows, for example, casting directors rarely ever speak to you & allow a conversation to happen unless you’ve booked the job, as both the model & casting director's often short on time & have other things on their schedule to get to… so they judge strictly based off of appearance & walk until callbacks/fittings occur. When the full crew's involved is when the team warms up to you & from there they’ll gauge your professionalism, ease in initiating conversation, and fashion knowledge. It’s a constant process of narrowing down until the most versatile & elite of faces who have a look suitable for many clients but have also sustained strong, symbiotic relationships with key players in the industry's left. That’s what makes a top model, a lasting career, a booked face… but you have to please the right people just based on looks before that stage even comes into play.

The missing puzzle piece I wish more power players paid attention to is the relationships between fellow models in the industry & their lasting power. There's inevitably going to be top models who get along with crew members who tend to not treat model peers with the same amount of respect & care, either due to seeing them as competition or not finding it beneficial towards the furthering of their career, so long as the element isn’t paid attention to. Humility's very attractive to the eye, IMO :wink:

I don’t see social media following holding as much weight as many assume it to. Clients have budgets the crew needs to abide by, oftentimes meaning there’s not much room to hire, let’s say, a Hadid/Jenner/Bieber/etc… & they’re slowly realizing Instagram followers doesn’t always translate to higher sales anyways. All any consumer asks for are models who suit/represent the brand & are able to sell the garments. However, of course, those who come from privilege naturally have it far easier… giving them leverage to rise further above those who are less fortunate, taking away job opportunities they could’ve very well booked (& done a better job at, LOL), especially in the upper echelons of prospective model bookings in terms of brand notoriety, who tend to have larger budgets.

Re: the agency’s role in a model’s career, I definitely agree this plays a huge role - I’d argue the mother agency equally as much as the modeling agency/agencies responsible for marketing the model. There needs to be communication between model & agency & a strong push towards the most beneficial of bookings, along with strong business relationships with clientele in the area, in order to gain & sustain success in a model’s career. A model falls flat if they don’t have the right representation… & an agent/agents who believe in them.

Last edited:
Hey, I forgot my login details so I'm only now getting back to this post.

Thank you to everyone who commented! I was just hoping at least one person would reply, so to see this many responses is amazing. I've found all of these comments very insightful and learned a lot.

When the full crew's involved is when the team warms up to you & from there they’ll gauge your professionalism, ease in initiating conversation, and fashion knowledge.
Does a model being knowledge of fashion make a meaningful difference? And by fashion knowledge, are you talking about knowing what a brand represents and fashion history?

The missing puzzle piece I wish more power players paid attention to is the relationships between fellow models in the industry & their lasting power. There's inevitably going to be top models who get along with crew members who tend to not treat model peers with the same amount of respect & care, either due to seeing them as competition or not finding it beneficial towards the furthering of their career, so long as the element isn’t paid attention to. Humility's very attractive to the eye, IMO :wink:
Can you expand on this? I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you saying you wish those in positions of power paid attention to which models showed humility? I agree, humility is a very attractive and important trait I value in people.

I was a very successful model from the late 70’s thru much of the 80’s and for me it boiled down to timing, the push from my agency and relationships with key photographers and advertisers.
Can you expand on how a relationship with key photographers/advertisers impacts a model's success? How does the relationship between photographers/advertisers work? Are they key power players? Do photographers handpick models for professional work they do? Do they have a say in recommendations? I still have a lot of learning to do about the fashion industry so forgive me if I sound naive or ignorant.

Does a model being knowledge of fashion make a meaningful difference? And by fashion knowledge, are you talking about knowing what a brand represents and fashion history?
Yes, I believe it does. Models often get scouted at the most random of occasions, meaning it's often a mixed bag as to how educated a model is on fashion before entering the fashion industry, many claiming to have been skeptical of the scouting process itself (due to an understandable fear of being scammed) until they did their own research on the agency scouting them & verified it to be legitimate. As they develop, through doing test shoots & making those first trips overseas, meeting new people & exploring new places, is when they begin to learn the more complex aspects of fashion i.e. the history behind fashion houses & the individuals in power i.e. creative directors, editors-in-chief, stylists, hairstylists, makeup artists, photographers, etc. One of the most important things a model can do at these young stages when they don't know as much as those their senior is ask questions to their agent(s) or the crew members on set while at work... to me, it shows interest + passion in the job when a model is either already well-versed or actively looking to enlighten themselves on all the industry is & has to offer. The deeper the conversation gets, the more intrigued the crew & client will be by the talent + the more memorable they'll be, ESPECIALLY if they produce quality work to back it up. I'm a firm believer in doing brand research before casting for jobs as well, to pinpoint what separates them from other brands & what "type" of model they may be looking for, such as Versace wanting conventional, fierce/dominant models with a look & walk exuding pure confidence.

Can you expand on this? I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Are you saying you wish those in positions of power paid attention to which models showed humility? I agree, humility is a very attractive and important trait I value in people.
100%! I feel where it starts & ends in terms of judging which models are "easiest" to work with is how they treat the team they're on set alongside, but many rarely pay attention to how fellow models interact with one another. I understand these people in power don't quite exist in the same tight-knit circle most models do, and models may feel a need to act stoic when in the presence of someone who holds more power than they do, but that's what I feel makes the relationships models build amongst each other matter - they don't see one another as superior/inferior unless we're talking about the nepotism models of the world, who don't even cast for jobs. It's the same general concept as an employee for a business acting likable when speaking towards their boss but treating their coworkers as subpar; it isn't genuine nor is it enough to appease everyone when one acts along with this mentality.

Last edited:
No matter how much people try to sanitise the modelling business, there are still a lot of reasons why someone can make it (or not) aside from talent, hard work or personality.

As with most things, it comes down to numerous factors, especially in such a competitive industry. It can be your agency and most definitely you go very far with the right connections. I know of one model who despite being just jaw dropping beautiful, never got anything, and then she switched agencies and suddenly her work just blew up, she suddenly started working for Victoria's Secret and all kinds of brands.
Doutzen? Because her story is exactly like that!

Yes, I believe it does. Models often get scouted at the most random of occasions, meaning it's often a mixed bag as to how educated a model is on fashion before entering the fashion industry, many claiming to have been skeptical of the scouting process itself (due to an understandable fear of being scammed) until they did their own research on the agency scouting them & verified it to be legitimate. As they develop, through doing test shoots & making those first trips overseas, meeting new people & exploring new places, is when they begin to learn the more complex aspects of fashion i.e. the history behind fashion houses & the individuals in power i.e. creative directors, editors-in-chief, stylists, hairstylists, makeup artists, photographers, etc. One of the most important things a model can do at these young stages when they don't know as much as those their senior is ask questions to their agent(s) or the crew members on set while at work... to me, it shows interest + passion in the job when a model is either already well-versed or actively looking to enlighten themselves on all the industry is & has to offer. The deeper the conversation gets, the more intrigued the crew & client will be by the talent + the more memorable they'll be, ESPECIALLY if they produce quality work to back it up. I'm a firm believer in doing brand research before casting for jobs as well, to pinpoint what separates them from other brands & what "type" of model they may be looking for, such as Versace wanting conventional, fierce/dominant models with a look & walk exuding pure confidence.
Oh, okay. Yes, that makes a lot of sense. Thank you! I know I enjoy listening to interviews of models who can have an intelligent conversation on fashion.

100%! I feel where it starts & ends in terms of judging which models are "easiest" to work with is how they treat the team they're on set alongside, but many rarely pay attention to how fellow models interact with one another. I understand these people in power don't quite exist in the same tight-knit circle most models do, and models may feel a need to act stoic when in the presence of someone who holds more power than they do, but that's what I feel makes the relationships models build amongst each other matter - they don't see one another as superior/inferior unless we're talking about the nepotism models of the world, who don't even cast for jobs. It's the same general concept as an employee for a business acting likable when speaking towards their boss but treating their coworkers as subpar; it isn't genuine nor is it enough to appease everyone when one acts along with this mentality.
Okay, I get what you mean. Thank you! Yes, I hate that this isn't paid attention to in general. The two-faced types tend to become more diva-ish, unprofessional and just difficult to work with as they gain more status in the fashion world. Reminds me of Adriana Lima, I've always heard she is a sweetheart and is supportive to other models.

Thank you so much for your detailed and insightful answers! I learned so much.

It’s about being a professional and understanding that it is a business. You don’t have to know anything about “fashion” to be a successful model. There a plenty of people who can write a thesis on fashion and can’t get a job in fashion. You don’t even have to be into fashion. I wasn’t and most models aren’t. Quite frankly being a model is less about fashion and really more about advertising. It’s about making money and making it as fast as you can.

It’s about being a professional and understanding that it is a business. You don’t have to know anything about “fashion” to be a successful model. There a plenty of people who can write a thesis on fashion and can’t get a job in fashion. You don’t even have to be into fashion. I wasn’t and most models aren’t. Quite frankly being a model is less about fashion and really more about advertising. It’s about making money and making it as fast as you can.
I’d argue differently, because a model can’t quite garner much success in this day and age without being well-versed at least on the business of fashion & differentiating brands, creatives, etc. from one another (& of course, generally knowing your way around social media.) Some models know far more than others with the same success rate, that’s a fact, but without even the slightest hint of who’s who & what brands want, look for, & work best with, it’s unlikely models will book very many jobs and, therefore, have the opportunity to meet very many people in the business over the course of their career. It takes luck, background knowledge, passion, and a damn good look to get to a point where you’re able to prioritize business above all.

I get your point of view and you are probably far more versed than I on the business of today, but I shall politely agree to disagree. I was highly successful and didn’t know diddly squat about fashion. Of course over time, as in any profession, you learn things and I certainly knew more and more as the years went by.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinribs98
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->