Why Do Some Models Make It and Others Don’t?

Call me crazy, but in my day when my agency sent me on a go see/casting, the client either liked me or they didn’t. They didn’t ask me about my fashion knowledge at all. I was either what they were looking for or I wasn’t. Probably the biggest difference from my era was that when you went to an interview for a particular designer, said designer was usually sitting there. Not sure that happens as often at present. After a period of time it was rare I had to go on a go see. Clients just called the agency and booked me. Again no one asked about my knowledge of fashion. They just wanted me to show up on time. My photos and campaigns turned out well anyway.

When it comes to fashion knowledge... I think a model can benefit a lot from it by knowing either the history, latest fashion trends, or just anything in particular when it comes to fashion, because it makes an easier and natural connection with the designer, photographer, editor, etc, that you are working with. Plus, I think if the model wants to do something else within the industry, this acquired knowledge that's been building up for many years can come in really handy for that next step of her career. It really depends on the person honestly, whether they want to take fashion modelling as a serious career (or a stepping stone to something else within the fashion or entertainment industry), or just something to cash in while they're hot.

When it comes to fashion knowledge... I think a model can benefit a lot from it by knowing either the history, latest fashion trends, or just anything in particular when it comes to fashion, because it makes an easier and natural connection with the designer, photographer, editor, etc, that you are working with. Plus, I think if the model wants to do something else within the industry, this acquired knowledge that's been building up for many years can come in really handy for that next step of her career. It really depends on the person honestly, whether they want to take fashion modelling as a serious career (or a stepping stone to something else within the fashion or entertainment industry), or just something to cash in while they're hot.
I don’t want to come across as a contrarian, but there is no expectation that a model be a fashion savant. Punctuality and professionalism carry far more weight when it comes to having a successful modeling career. Of course, if you’ve worked any length of time you gain knowledge of the industry, but that’s true of any profession. Furthermore, all models are cashing in. That’s the very foundation of the business. Knowledge of fashion does very little to endure you to industry professionals. Professionalism and punctuality will help you far more. On a personal note, I know I acquired hundreds of editorial pages and did multiple covers for Vogue, Bazaar and Elle. I did countless advertising campaigns and worked with many of the true icons in the industry, yet it was very rare that our conversations had anything to do with fashion or fashion history. It was about the work at that moment.

No I was talking about Lorena Rae.
No, she was seen hanging out with Leo DiCaprio for a short while during her last moments at a lower tier board at Wilhelmina. The media started speculating about her which she then moved to Next who really seized the moment for her to become successful.

I don’t want to come across as a contrarian, but there is no expectation that a model be a fashion savant. Punctuality and professionalism carry far more weight when it comes to having a successful modeling career. Of course, if you’ve worked any length of time you gain knowledge of the industry, but that’s true of any profession. Furthermore, all models are cashing in. That’s the very foundation of the business. Knowledge of fashion does very little to endure you to industry professionals. Professionalism and punctuality will help you far more. On a personal note, I know I acquired hundreds of editorial pages and did multiple covers for Vogue, Bazaar and Elle. I did countless advertising campaigns and worked with many of the true icons in the industry, yet it was very rare that our conversations had anything to do with fashion or fashion history. It was about the work at that moment.

That is so true... `I used to be a booker for a small agency in Europe, up to early 2000s and some of our top girls or boys had no clue/knowledge about fashion. They fit the look, were very professional and punctual and fun to be around...and most importantly they delivered great looks in pictures.

I really think its great you are giving your point of view about the 70s and 80s modelling scene...that was completely different back then, and also not so many models and agencies as there are now...so there was more work for you....

Ps....from the little hints you gave, I figured out which topmodel you were in late 70/80....girl you were on fire.......and I find it wonderfull you are here giving info....and scholing these kids ;-)) and at the same time asking questions......because even i wonder sometimes how these girls now make their money... i know there were a lot of non-visable jobs (lookbooks/internal looks / b2b shoots) in early 2000s that paid well...but in the 80s/90s you had catalogs...girls made fortunes in germany working for catalogs....or miami also as many catalogs were shooting there.

I remember one girl we represented (mother agent) who in the 90s was a catalogue queen for years, and did some elle magazine editorials to be able to keep them (catalogue) interested ...and well that girl made a fortune..(millionaire)...she was perfect for catalogs and had a super high dayrate for that...and clients paid it... she also did beauty campaigns.....still does....she was smart with her money and saved/invested lots and bought land/houses abroad and what not...but she also did fun crazy stuff like flying over to Europe to get your hair cut by a top stylist in a European city...while she could do that in NYC where she lived at the time...but oh well....

Last edited:
That is so true... `I used to be a booker for a small agency in Europe, up to early 2000s and some of our top girls or boys had no clue/knowledge about fashion. They fit the look, were very professional and punctual and fun to be around...and most importantly they delivered great looks in pictures.

I really think its great you are giving your point of view about the 70s and 80s modelling scene...that was completely different back then, and also not so many models and agencies as there are now...so there was more work for you....

Ps....from the little hints you gave, I figured out which topmodel you were in late 70/80....girl you were on fire.......and I find it wonderfull you are here giving info....and scholing these kids ;-)) and at the same time asking questions......because even i wonder sometimes how these girls now make their money... i know there were a lot of non-visable jobs (lookbooks/internal looks / b2b shoots) in early 2000s that paid well...but in the 80s/90s you had catalogs...girls made fortunes in germany working for catalogs....or miami also as many catalogs were shooting there.

I remember one girl we represented (mother agent) who in the 90s was a catalogue queen for years, and did some elle magazine editorials to be able to keep them (catalogue) interested ...and well that girl made a fortune..(millionaire)...she was perfect for catalogs and had a super high dayrate for that...and clients paid it... she also did beauty campaigns.....still does....she was smart with her money and saved/invested lots and bought land/houses abroad and what not...but she also did fun crazy stuff like flying over to Europe to get your hair cut by a top stylist in a European city...while she could do that in NYC where she lived at the time...but oh well....
Thank you for your kind words. I agree that the industry obviously has changed, but no one will ever convince me that these girls are making serious money on a handful of runway shows and a Zara booking. In my day the fashion world just seemed more intimate than the way it’s described today on this board. Yes, I was very popular during my heyday which initially coincided with the disco era. I had the right look at the right time and that carried me well into the 80’s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->