• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Working for Modeling Agencies ... Becoming an Agent, Booker, Scout, Manager

I've thought about calling agencies and asking questions about how to become a scout or advice on becoming a scout but I'm afraid they'll be mean or condescending to me:ermm:

^ You can always try! Or, if you happen to actually scout someone soon, just boldly bring them to the agency you think could best represent them and perhaps you'll get recognized as a potentially good model scout!

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean a commission payment?

I do indeed!

So, to keep everyone updated about my last post:

End of 2014 I sent few pictures of the boy to agencies I know, most were really interested and wanted to see him.

He came back from China after 9 months and I had him come to Paris (June 2015).
I taught him how to walk, which clothes were appropriate, at which angles his face looked better, told him to exercise in certain ways to be in even better shape etc.
Also explained everything I could about agencies (booking agency, mother agency, scout, agent, their fees...), castings, editorials, campaigns...

And then it was fashion week: I took him backstage with me as my assistant (reminder: I photograph lots of backstage).
This way he could see how it really worked behind the scene, meet models and chat with them... And, just as I told him, he also got noticed: from makeup/hair artists to casting directors and even designers, many thought he was a model.

And earlier today I took him to an agency I know, one of the best in Paris. We will get an answer at the end of the week.

Hopefully he will get signed there, if not I will try other agencies.

And when he is, I will keep improving his book by organizing tests with photographers I know, maybe editorials too, and taking him to London to introduce him to an agency there. His French agency will cover direct bookings elsewhere, at least for his first season.

With that said, I intend on being more than just a scout for him, but to act as a mother agency.
It turns out it's easier to do in France than I initially thought, just a matter of writing a good contract.
Apparently the average scout/mother-agency fee is 5 to 10% in France.

As I mentioned almost a year ago, my goal in the future is to scout, and act as a mother agency for several carefully selected boys...

...and try my luck at casting director later.

Another update:

He got signed in this agency, I am officially his mother agency.

I organized photoshoots with other photographers (and several with me) for his book, as well as a go-see with a potential client.

And next season I might assist a very good casting director, so all is well.

And I am just back from a scouting trip in Amsterdam with 10 potential models in my files.

Crossing fingers that agencies will be interested :wink:

So, since your are now in this biz of scouting, and this thread is about the job in general and how to get there, do you have any tips for anyone who would like to become a freelance model scout (or who would like to work as a booker and work directly for the agency)?

Please help us learn things like:

How can they start?
Do they find the models first ... then approach the agency?
Or do they talk to the agency first to find out what they need?
Who should they talk to at the agency to get started?
How do they get the agency interested in looking at their models?
How and when will they get paid?
Will they sign a contract each time a model is signed or will they have a one time contract?
Any other tips about how to scout?

In short:
1. work at/with an agency, or several
2. focus on one type
3. know the market for that type, in your city/state and in the fashion cities
4. have some knowledge of contracts
In my opinion you shouldnt start scouting without all 4.

I will develop that later.

Thank you ... this is exactly the sort of stuff that our members want to know and what this Careers forum is all about ,,, helping each other. :clap:

Some news:
I am now a very proud scout/agent, Maryan is doing quite well:
- 6 shows in London (including Burberry, JWA)
- 8 shows in Milan (including Prada)
- looking forward to Paris :-)

Assisting a casting director in Paris for two shows, pre-casting was cool, Fashion week casting/fitting is going to be interesting!

Hi guys,

I have always been interested in working as a model booker or scout. Unfortunately I live in a small town that has had little or no international models come out of it. I have tried working with the two agencies in town, but one of them would not let me scout for them because they are picky. I assume this is because they tend to charge people for modelling classes and such, that they do not want me in on it because it's an unsavoury business (and maybe afraid I'd expose them or something). I feel some of the models in this agency would be getting more shows and jobs if they had been signed to a larger agency who had more connections. The other agency was a complete sham.

As a result I'm kind of at a dead end. I'm in school for something completely unrelated but really want to do model scouting. Is my only hope going to a bigger city and doing internships to get this done? Or should I go to a fashion school and try to work from there? I've seen many people do model booking but never went to school for it, so I'm kind of at a loss for what to do.

Thanks!

That's a tough one. I'd say you really need to be in the city where the agency is .... so your prospective models can walk in for open calls.

Do stay away from "agencies" that charge for anything ...they are not real agencies and just end up cost a lot of starry eyed wannabes a lot of money for no good end.

On the other hand, a big name model can come out of anywhere, including small towns. But if your town is small, you cut your chances of finding new faces to almost nothing. To up your odds, you need to be where the most young people are congregated in large groups ... if you want to even have a chance of spotting someone with the right look.

I would suggest that you try to get work at a good local agency( if they are not legit, move to the city) ... doing anything at all, answering phones, inputting data, getting coffee ... and learn the business from the ground up. If you have the "eye" for a good model look, you will eventually be able to demonstrate that to them and they might learn to take a look at some of your prospects.

Fashion School is not needed and won't teach you anything that you will need to know. for this job.

My friend is a booker and she said that if you can show an agency that you can do more than scout models then you'll have a better chance of being hired. Such as knowing photography, photoshop, IT skills, foreign languages... and she did a degree in journalism so that shows you that you don't need a fashion degree. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->