Working out and hangovers

Jennika

Reaction score
What are people's feelings on this?

Would you pop a few advils and drag yourself to the gym or would you let your body recover and pass on the workout?

I really can't decide what to do when this situation comes up.
On one hand I would think that if you hydrate yourself enough a workout might be the best thing to sweat out the toxins from the alcohol. Plus, partying shouldn't be an excuse to miss a gym trip.
On the other hand your body is weaker when your hungover so would the workout even be productive? or would you just risk hurting yourself or wearing yourself out more.

any advice?

Solution: Don't drink so much that you become hungover.. Alchohol is counter productive to the whole idea of working out: having a healthy, fit body.

DO NOT go to the gym with a hangover! i had a bad experience with this in jamaica. i drank a lot in the morning, and i thought i was fine when my mom dragged me to the gym about 5 hours later because she wanted company. after about 20 minutes of feeling normal on the stairmaster, i came off and fainted.
yeah. don't do it!

NOO, don't work out if you have a hangover, you'll get a heart attack or something

thanks for all the advice, I did skip the workout today (went x-mas shopping instead)

I know in a perfect world I'd never be hungover but with all the holiday parties lately it's been hard to avoid :innocent:

Lol, yeah, the words 'hung over' and 'workout' don't seem to mix too well.

To try and stop a hangover, drink loads of water before you go to bed - that should hydrate you well enough. Works for me :smile:

I love working out hungover...best way to sweat out toxins...
just make sure you're properly hydrated beforehand

the thought makes me want to be sick and i'm stone cold sober. i can barely bring myself to leave my bed when hungover let alone go to the gym LET ALONE work out!

^Me neither. I normally just want to die. :ninja:

The best thing is, to drink a lot and get some light movement and fresh air. Go for a walk or swim slowly if you are lucky and have a pool. Serious workout is a) not possible and b) weakens your body even more.

I love working out hungover...best way to sweat out toxins...
You can't sweat out toxins. Your liver takes care of toxins, and it can't work any faster than it already does.

I don't know why so many people believe in that crap :(

You can't sweat out toxins. Your liver takes care of toxins, and it can't work any faster than it already does.

I don't know why so many people believe in that crap :(

Sorry to say, but, there are strong cases for both sides of the whether or not sweat is actually a substantially effective detoxifer debate. Even if the main function of sweat is not cleansing, it does contain impurities and that's fact.

:innocent:

Sorry to say, but, there are strong cases for both sides of the whether or not sweat is actually a substantially effective detoxifer debate. Even if the main function of sweat is not cleansing, it does contain impurities and that's fact.

That's right, but apart from toxins your sweat contains even more minerals like calcium and iron and what not. You sweat out whatever your body isn't able to absorb at the right time and alcohol slows it down even more because it is dehydrating. So when you're hung over and your body has to deal with that, all those important minerals get lost quicker if you work out.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's right, but apart from toxins your sweat contains even more minerals like calcium and iron and what not. You sweat out whatever your body isn't able to absorb at the right time and alcohol slows it down even more because it is dehydrating. So when you're hung over and your body has to deal with that, all those important minerals get lost quicker if you work out.

Compositionally, the amount of minerals is about as trace as the amount of toxins so, if anything, its a draw.

I say that as long as you make sure to hydrate beforehand and take your multivitamin, all should be fine in the world.

There is no debate! The ONLY thing that gets rid of toxins is the liver. Go ask your doctor. You can sweat all you want, that's not gonna help your liver.

What about working out on lack of sleep? I don't get hung over, but I do lack sleep often and wonder what to do...rest or work out.

If people could not exert themselves while hung over, the world's productivity would drop precipitously.

Quit crying, drink water and do your workout. :judge:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frikandel
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->