Workouts at home?

CHEAPandCHIC

Reaction score
Do you have any workouts that you do at home, mainly to burn calories as well as tone? I'd rather do exercise at home than go to the gym. I really want to get fitter this year, in time for summer :innocent: I didnt want to ask this in the exercise thread because I would only like things I can do at home without equiptment (except weights). Is lifting weights good? Or using the stairs as a step workout type thing? I think I'd prefer more cardio stuff than toning, so that I'll feel like I'm working harder. Any ideas are fine though! I want to get some kind of sequence going, that I can do every day. Feel free to as questions here too, or whatever!

Working out at home is very convenient and there are lots of things you can do at home!

Some suggestions I have are to get an exercise ball, some weights (I suggest getting one light weight, one medium, and one heavy... for me, that's like 3 pounds, 8 pounds, and 10 pounds), an exercise band, and perhaps some good cardio work-out DVDs. I think the items I mentioned above are great because you can use them to do a variety of exercises. The ball is great for ab work as well as stretching and working your butt/thighs, and you can use the weights and the ball at the same time to tone as well as do some abs work. The exercise band is great for strengthening (back, legs, thighs, arms).

Besides equipment you buy, stairs work great. And even paper plates (I read about a lot of exercises you can do with paper plates in the latest issue of SELF)!

If you'd like me to tell you some specific exercises, let me know. I'd be glad to tell you about some! :flower:

Great thread I would love to start working out but at this point I'm too out of shape to go to a gym. I'd like to build endurance and get into the habit before I get a gymmembership.

i usually do pilates, stretching and toning exercises at home. your own body weight works as a good resistance if you don't want to buy weights. jumping rope, dancing and just going for a walk or jogging is great cardio exercise.
to get ou started you could think of buying some fitness magazine that has some sort of strenght exercise program (if you can't think one on your own) and then just add enough cardio. remember that there should be at least one day between the strenght training. hope this helps :flower:

I work out at home. It's a lot easier for me to find time at home than to go to the gym. I always find that by the time I get to the gym, I don't want to work out anymore and the one by my house is always busy. So I figured, why pay a lot for membership if I'd rather work out at home.

I also suggest getting some equipment like a balance ball, weighted balls, elastic bands, etc. These are things (except the balance ball), that you can easily store away and they make a big difference. I have a ton of work out dvd's. I got most of my dvd recommendations from reviews on amazon and FitTV. If you get FitTV and a dvr or tivo, you can record work outs. They also have some tv shows that explore different work outs, so you can always explore new things if your routine becomes boring.

The best thing is DVDs, pilates and Tae Bo, you will LOVE them. And they work!!! I also have a mini stepper, it's great cardio, i sweat like a pig for 60' every day!

They have videos on youtube of workout routines, for those to cheap to go out and buy one.

Cool thread...have become semi-virtuous in 2007, giving up bread, chocolate and most dairy...and also need to start moving my ****...my flatmate has bought some old Tao Bo videos, so I'm planning to look like a fool in my living room with her!!

Hopefully working my way up to venturing into an actual gym by the summer!!!

I really don't look good in gym type clothes at the moment, so home workout are a god send!!

Yup, this is effective if you actually DO it and stick to it, lol.
There's a wide variety to choose from out there. I've heard some rave reviews about pilates (particularly Winsor and Stott?), taebo (Billy Banks), yoga, Turbo Jam, Carmen Electra's striptease workout, etc.

this is a great thread, I'm trying to workout at home too. In addition to all of the above excellent suggestions, I jump rope. I was also thinking of getting a hula hoop (Vogue had an article about an exercise called Hoopnotica, which was exercising with a hula hoop, but that was kind of pricey ($50 for a hula hoop and dvd), so I figured I could just buy a hula hoop and try it on my own).

I have a step, which is great - I put on MTV or VIVA and do a 60 min workout. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any specific workout DVD? Which ones are good? Not for step, but for aerobics? High level?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do this 30 minutes DVD called "Walk Away the pounds : 2 mile walk" 4 times a week. It's really for beginners, but it's fun and most important : keeps me interrested and motivated.

I hate being outside, and I just can't pay for an obscenely expensive gym membership, so I get my cardio one of two ways: jumping rope and step aerobics. The best part is that you can do both of them parked right in front of the TV, so it's not quite as painful :wink:

I tried to do it at home for a while, but it's not working for me. Because at home I can find so many other things to do, that I just can't force myself to work out. I need to go to the gym, even though I don't like the people staring..
but I run every do for like 1 1/2 hours..

Does jumping rope really make a difference in your body or is it just a waste of time?

Jumping rope actually has the same benefits of running - great for cardiovascular strengthening - it does however work a few more muscle groups depending on how you do it (i.e. crossing over, switching hands mid swing, etc.) Boxers jump rope for a reason, it helps tone the legs and stomach.

^you're welcome. it also helps with wrist and forearms (less so). if you're looking to tone your arms, the old pushup (with variations) will help too. i don't have the space in my home to jumprope (ceilings are a bit low...) but it certainly helped when i could get it in my workout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionblogger30000
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->