Yay or Nay - Hairstyles and Colours

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm thinking of changing my haircolor, do you think that asians look better with dark brown hair or that light reddish, orangey color that japanese pop stars have? i currently have the orangey color...which i like but i'm really tired of redying it all the time so i might just go back to the natural color. the only problem is i feel so bland with normal hair. i'm pale and have rosy undertones and medium length shaggy hair...so if you have any suggestions that would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think Asian women look amazing with naturally dark hair.

I think you can either go normal and jazz it up with a slightly different tone than your usual colour, or you can go lighter, but I advise against the orange-y shade. Personally, I don't like the orange colour tones, and I think it should be a much more natural tone...

I can't stand Blonde Asians.. its a free world I know.. but cmon!! Just hate the look. I like natural black hair.. its very beatiful. If you must dye it.. go with dark brown.. but make sure you maintain your hair and dont' let it go all frizzy.. and please don't highlight your hair with red/blond streaks.. the natural look is best.
My Two cents

i'm asian and my hair color naturally is very very dark brown, not black and is most evident when in bright sunlight.
The trend now is to do jet black...which i hate, b/c it doesnt look great unless your skin is very pale white and i'm not that light colored.
I dyed my hair in ash brown, which comes out to medium brown. in the sun, it looks brown/red/black all at once...really hard to explain but i have to admit, if youre dying your hair at home, only use feria...it has 3dimensional colors!

please dont die it the orangey colour, or put red streaks, or the green and blue ones either...and dont get it cut mullet style with the rat styling.

I see too much of this....and its not that great!

i'm asian, and haven't had uncoloured hair for many years now =)
i'm SO against the orangey bleached dry hair that so many asians do.. to me it's purely indicative of a poor (or cheap and amateur) dye job! Don't do it!!

Ash tones (cool) have worked really well for me and other asians I've seen, especially when I had blonde highlights. Now I'm a rich burgundy (dark red brown), which also looks great. Natural rich chocolately browns always look great on asians too.

Dark hair always makes your hair look soo much healthier, shinier, softer, but good blonde highlights can be a very sophisticated look. And bold colour inserts are always fun and can express your personality.. but one tends to get tired of them very quickly, so if you want that, maybe you can get clip-in extensions.

So it depends on your natural colouring; even Asians differ a lot in their colour tone - are you a warm colour tone (reddish, olive, darkish), and cool ("blue"-toned), or have a lot of yellow in your skin? You will know what colours in your wardrobe work best on your skin - go find out what hair colours look best on you too.

So - as you're pale, dark hair could make you washed out, unless you always wear good makeup (dark eyes, blush or lipcolour). But too light hair will also make you look too washed out..(unless you stay mid to dark, with a few blond highlights). Seeing as you're rosy, you can wear reddish tones too, so you could consider that.

Maybe mid to dark tones? Maybe you could mix it up and have a few shades in there, of the one colour theme...

I've come across very few Asian girls who actually look better with their natural black / darkest brown colour. Mostly it makes them look washed out and plain.

I've had to ignore a lot of white men, mostly, who feel strongly that asian girls should not colour their hair. A lot of them just want you to fit their mold/perception of what an asian girl and asian beauty should be (long black hair with blunt fringe etc). It's almost an oppressive stereotyped view.
(though I'm not saying that that's what people on this forum think, but... let's all let each other express themselves through their haircolour, among other things)

I love dark raven hair with pale skin.. I love the look I must say..

If you want to dye your hair I suggest maybe a warm medium to dark brown color.. maybe have it match your eyes.. I really like the natural looking hair colors... and streaks can work.. but I am against them simply because of the bad streak jobs out there.. gross...

I know she's a cartoon.. but I love Yuna's color and cut

cg05.jpg

wow guys....so unanimously against the funky "orange". i thought it looked so cute in the jap mags. yeah...i think i will dye it dark chocolate brown b/c my natural haircolor is a bit boring. what about a bob like nicole richie's with dark hair? do you think that a bob like that would make my face look wide? i have very pronounce cheeks and cheekbones(at an angle). just so you know, i dress a bit bohemian and am not like a really straight laced asian girl, so i really don't want that pretty, traditional look. i've tried it and i just don't feel that its "me"

Personally I think the Jet Black colour a lot of Asians have naturally is incredible. Especially when its really glossy. You can get some haircolour thats like 'black' but it does crazy shine things that makes it look blue/red in different light angles.

I don't think we can really tell how the cut would look on your face because we don't really have a picture to judge on. A cut like Nicole's with dark hair would be nice and sophisticated, but if you want to go more funky, you could perhaps go for a more dramatic shade on top with the base shade being dark. Short cuts like Nicole's allow for more "funky" styling with day-to-day styling and colour.

I agree with Misako, unless we don't know how you look it's very difficult
to say what would look good on you :wink:

I'll refrain from giving you advice, because as others have already remarked, without a picture it's pretty tricky. But I wanted to jump in and defend orange hair; on some Asians it can look fab. Tell'em Faye:

Attachments

• fayeredhair.jpg
    fayeredhair.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 13
I think jet black ,with a few streks or tips or under colour or tints, of either red, blue, or purple i know people with all these and thye look so pritty :flower:

droogist said:
I'll refrain from giving you advice, because as others have already remarked, without a picture it's pretty tricky. But I wanted to jump in and defend orange hair; on some Asians it can look fab. Tell'em Faye:

that pic was a good one, but if not done right it will look like a DIY job.

Not sure about jet black hair with asian girls, it seems a little "old" and "traditional" , a dark brown or different shade would probaly look bettter, and younger.

I think Faye's hair there was pink.

Anyway dont do the orange thing!!! Im about to bleach my hair as well so this topic may come in handy for me too. I hate the orange hair color on Asians because as Hellooholly said, it looks really bad. :doh:

i used to have tan/ orange streaks in my hair back in the day..it looked alright. I think if i had enough balls i would have silvery grey hair. i guess i just have to wait until that time comes, later in years :P

i found a pic of ayu with a haircut similar to nicole's hair.
ofcourse, the bangs need to be shorter and everything needs to be more choppy/layered in general but i kinda like the idea :smile:
you would be better off with a lighter color with a cut like this though.

Attachments

• ayu.JPG
    ayu.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 4
Awww Ayumi's hair looks good there, I have a short bob too, but with a fringe (bangs). I've read that asian hair has reddish pigments rather than yellow or green pigments. Which why even dying it black seems unnatural. I've always had a thing for red hair, apparently I can use purple dye to change it to red colour? (I'm chinese) Anyone clarify this for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gxsd
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->