2,000-Year-Old Gold Earring Found In Jerusalem

MissMagAddict

Reaction score
... suggesting that we're only two millenniums away from a matching set.

This undated photo made available by the Israeli
Antiquities Authority on Monday, Nov. 10, 2008
shows what archaeologists say is a 2,000-year-old
gold earring discovered beneath a parking lot next to
the walls of Jerusalem's old city. The Israel Antiquities
Authority says the earring is inlaid with pearls and
emeralds and was made around the time of Christ,
between the first century B.C. and the beginning of
the fourth century A.D

JERUSALEM — A luxurious gold, pearl and emerald earring provides a new visual clue about the life of the elite in Jerusalem some 2,000 years ago. And its discovery was a true eureka moment for excavators.

The piece was found beneath a parking lot next to the walls of Jerusalem's Old City. It dates to the Roman period just after the time of Jesus, said Doron Ben-Ami, who directed the dig.

The earring was uncovered in a destroyed Byzantine structure built centuries after the piece was made, showing it was likely passed down through generations, he said.

Archaeologists came upon the earring in a corner while excavating the ruins of the building under a parking lot. "Suddenly one of the excavators came up shouting 'Eureka!'" said Ben-Ami.

The find is eye-catching: A large pearl inlaid in gold with two drop pieces, each with an emerald and pearl set in gold.

"It must have belonged to someone of the elite in Jerusalem," Ben-Ami said. "Such a precious item, it couldn't be one of just ordinary people."

Archaeologist Shimon Gibson, who was not involved in the dig, said the find was truly amazing, less because of its Roman origins than for its precious nature.

"Jewelry is hardly preserved in archaeological context in Jerusalem," he said, because precious metals were often sold or melted down during the many historic takeovers of the city.

"It adds to the visual history of Jerusalem," Gibson added, saying it brings attention to the life of women in antiquity.

Ben-Ami the piece's placement in the destroyed building protected it from looters and kept it preserved. Its location also showed that it must be older than the house itself.

The Israel Antiquities Authority said the earring appeared to have been made using a technique similar to that depicted in portraits from Roman-era Egypt. Experts were able to date the earring by comparing it to similar finds in Europe.

In a statement released Monday, the Antiquities Authority said the earring was "astonishingly well-preserved." Finds from the Roman period are rare in Jerusalem, Ben-Ami said, because the city was destroyed by the Roman Empire in the first century A.D.

Though Gibson dates the piece slightly later than the antiquities authority, to sometime between the second and fourth centuries A.D., he said its quality and beauty were impressive.

And Ben-Ami said he expects more small, luxury items to turn up in future excavations.
Source | Huffington Post

I'm Speechless. It's just so beautiful.... :o
Thanks for including the background :flower:
It's such a shame there are not more pieces like this around beacuse they have been taken apart and melted down.

^I know... and the wire wrapping technique is exactly the same as what is used by jewelry artisans today. Amazing :heart:

wow! it still looks so fresh and totally wouldn't be out of place in any temporal context!

that is 2000 years old:shock:
it's so well kept

and I guess good taste doesn't really change much since that style is still popular very much today^_^

thanks for posting <3

Oh, what a beauty :wub: ! I like how uneven the pearls are. Thanks for bringing this up, MMA.

this is extraordinary.. just amazing how well kept that earring is, it's gorgeous too :heart:

thank you for posting this MMA

What an amazing find! :o
I can't believe that earring is in such good condition after all these years- it's amazing! And what a gorgeous piece it is too! Whoever had the privilege of wearing it back then was a very lucky person. :wub:

What an amazing find! :o
I can't believe that earring is in such good condition after all these years- it's amazing! And what a gorgeous piece it is too! Whoever had the privilege of wearing it back then was a very lucky person. :wub:

Wouldn't it be interesting to know who exactly wore it and to what event or occasion? I wish we could have such information!

I agree with you Whitelinen! I wish it could talk and tell us all the amazing stories and lives that this earring has obviously lived! It's such an extraordinary discovery!

I can just see what an amazing outfit that would have been worn with :heart:
It's beautiful!

What a stunning discovery!!

I wonder how they found out that the earring is indeed 2000 years old? Hope they can share more information. :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->