Alexander McQueen F/W 2024.25 Paris

I for one am ready for change at McQueen.. Sean is not Lee nor is he Sarah.. He is Sean… He brought his own charm.. Attitude and ultimately his own take on McQueen… it’s a dawn of a new day and instead of comparing him to Lee we need to give him a chance to flourish. People are so quick to be negative as it’s much easier to do so in this day in age where everyone is now an expert… or critique of everything… Give him a chance to grow, to learn and come into his own… There is definitely work to be done that’s for sure but can we be more patient with new designers… He had a tough challenge I think he did it well… Specially for his first go!! I’m proud of him and looking forward to seeing what he does!!

I always thought she was great and I never understood the hate that she got what else was she going to do. this is such a difficult brand she focused on what made McQueen great tailoring styling and great items to purchase that's all you can do. Other than that, that's a dead brand the original artist was just too great.

It was boring that’s what was wrong with it!! Sorry to say… It was well put together and the execution was close to what McQueen did but it lacked attitude & character!! But that was Sarah’s McQueen!! It had its moment now it’s time for a change!!

He brought his own charm..

Is the charm in the room with us right now? Because in the interviews, nervous or not, he was literally brain-f*rting, as if he had absolutely nothing meaningful to say, so he was talking about random stuff. And it's not like his work is good either, it's a bunch of odd McQueen's references, redone in a messy (or sometimes childish) way, without any context and skills. I honestly don't know if that's enough to let him grow in any way. Of course it's Kering's fault that they went for someone from JW Anderson, but now it's Sean who has to take over at least some part of responsibility, because it's him who's the creative director now.

jw anderson has successfully ruined fashion by installing his acolytes and underlings in every corner of the industry. will people finally believe me when i say that nothing good can come from that man?

Last edited:
He is 35... and Burton was what 36-37 when she took over Mcqueen and made the wedding dress?

Now compare her debut to this.

That’s the he problem everyone is expecting him to be another Lee or another Sarah which he is not… We don’t want a rehash of both designers… And that takes nothing away from their respective legacy’s… But Sean was hired to bring his own take and perspective and that’s what we would like to see given the chance without all this negative noise!!

I didn't like this collection but I do think that this is the right direction for McQueen - returning to the grittier, edgier part of the brand, after several years of Sarah Burton's more romantic interlude. The mid-90s collections are a good point of reference (The Birds, Highland r*pe, The Hunger), but Sean McGirr didn't put enough creativity or imagination into translating those references into cohesive, desirable clothes. I also think he got too caught up in trying to replicate the energy of 90s London fashion, but there was no need to rip-off the Hussein Chalayan sculpture dresses!

Yeah, this is terrible, I’ve never seen a show edited this bad. Who did the styling?

Anyways, I think it’s what this brand needed. Sarah’s McQueen was the most irrelevant thing ever (even if the technique was there).

Sean got everybody talking about it, that will create hype and fashion people that know nothing about fashion will end up buying.

It’s such a difficult house to design for and I think this nonsense is the only thing that could be done. No one will be better in technique, no one will be better in story telling… so what’s left? Doing silly clothes and trying to be groundbreaking in a childish way.

Is the charm in the room with us right now? Because in the interviews, nervous or not, he was literally brain-f*rting, as if he had absolutely nothing meaningful to say, so he was talking about random stuff. And it's not like his work is good either, it's a bunch of odd McQueen's references, redone in a messy (or sometimes childish) way, without any context and skills. I honestly don't know if that's enough to let him grow in any way. Of course it's Kering's fault that they went for someone from JW Anderson, but now it's Sean who has to take over at least some part of responsibility, because it's him who's the creative director now.

I still believe people are too quick to be negative because it’s far too easy to be negative!! There are things he can work on from this collection which is why I said there is work to be done here!! I wouldn’t rule him out or bash him negatively for the sake of it without giving him a chance to work on his craft.. Given the brand… the history and the legacy!!

I guess my problem with the clothes is that for all these talk about going to early McQueen, what we got was a commercially diluted, not even well-constructed outing. No problem with Sean bringing his POV. The clothes just suck.

Yeah, this is terrible, I’ve never seen a show edited this bad. Who did the styling?

Anyways, I think it’s what this brand needed. Sarah’s McQueen was the most irrelevant thing ever (even if the technique was there).

Sean got everybody talking about it, that will create hype and fashion people that know nothing about fashion will end up buying.

It’s such a difficult house to design for and I think this nonsense is the only thing that could be done. No one will be better in technique, no one will be better in story telling… so what’s left? Doing silly clothes and trying to be groundbreaking in a childish way.

It needed a shake up… And agree it’s got people talking and this is marketing 101 in 2024.. Maybe this is Kerings strategy for McQueen going forward…

I was hoping it would work out for him... but this is pretty chaotic and objectively quite bad (not precise, not inspired nor inspiring...).

Those last three looks are unforgivable.

When I saw the closing look on social media, I thought it was one of these ironic posts, but it turned out to really be how he chose to close... Inspired by those "viral" comic book boots?

Shameful.

It was boring that’s what was wrong with it!! Sorry to say… It was well put together and the execution was close to what McQueen did but it lacked attitude & character!! But that was Sarah’s McQueen!! It had its moment now it’s time for a change!!
So it’s ok to shite on Sarah but let’s be supportive of this garbage? How peculiar.

It’s trash mama. Face it. It shouldnt carry a McQueen label.

sorry but i'm gonna have to toot my own horn here and claim the title of resident mcqueen expert. this has very little to do with early mcqueen. almost no references to the birds (idk where tf he got that from), or the hunger. no lace, no slashed tops/dresses, and no tartan so idk where highland r*pe comes into this either. most of this seems to be inspired by the overlook, or eshu (hence the denim). the biggest crime here is that the clothes are just ugly as sin.

But Sean was hired to bring his own take and perspective and that’s what we would like to see given the chance without all this negative noise!!

Problem is he has no perspective. He just tried different poorly made and abstract Mcqueen references and checked which ones would stick. Even in his interviews you could tell he is lost in nothingness. I'm sure no one expected him to be like Mcqueen himself or Burton. But he needed to atleast be able to make well-tailored clothes which was the backbone of the brand even in their most commercial propositions. Or atleast a strong and concise point of view

Maybe this is Kerings strategy for McQueen going forward…

Another short-term plan, after all the noise who would actually wear these clothes and where? Will definitely alienate people who regularly bought Burton's Mcqueen and will attract only sheeps who will only follow the brand a few seasons until the next hype comes up.

That’s the he problem everyone is expecting him to be another Lee or another Sarah which he is not… We don’t want a rehash of both designers… And that takes nothing away from their respective legacy’s… But Sean was hired to bring his own take and perspective and that’s what we would like to see given the chance without all this negative noise!!
But there's no vision here, there's just abysmally ugly clothes.

Sarah's work was also far from Lee's, cause he truly was one of a kind. But she had a coherent vision, great tailoring, referenced some of Lee's themes with grace - it wasn't groundbreaking by any means, but it was good. What we're seeing here is just clown clothes, with no aesthetic vision, no tailoring, no coherence, just a mess that feels like an insult to Lee's legacy (something that Sarah's collections never were).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->