Ashlee’s Nose Job Is Last Straw for New Editor of Marie Claire (NYT)

DosViolines

far from home...
Reaction score
source: nytimes.com

July 31, 2006
Ashlee’s Nose Job Is Last Straw for New Editor of Marie Claire

By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE

Ashlee Simpson appeared on the July cover of Marie Claire magazine extolling the virtues of appreciating one’s body as it is — then she had a nose job.

Marie Claire readers erupted in fury at what they said was Ms. Simpson’s hypocrisy and the magazine’s “cluelessness.” They wrote 1,000 letters in protest to the magazine, according to Joanna Coles, the new editor of the magazine. And she agreed with them.

marie190re7.jpg

Ashlee Simpson, top, talked about valuing one’s God-given attributes in the July Marie Claire. Maggie Gyllenhaal is featured in the first issue, bottom, under full control of the magazine’s new editor.

In the first issue (due Aug. 15) over which she exercises full editorial control, Ms. Coles gives expanded space in the letters column to readers to vent against Ms. Simpson. Ms. Coles adds in a note: “We’re dazed and confused — and disappointed — by her choice, too!”

Rare is the day when the editor of a women’s magazine will openly criticize a celebrity. But Ms. Coles is planting a flag: A new Marie Claire is in town and it is making a clean break with its past. No girly goo, no teeny-bopper covers, no blind obedience to the traditional rules of the road.

“It has always been the smart girls’ book,” Ms. Coles said last week in an interview in her airy perch in the new Hearst building in Midtown Manhattan. “But it drifted off-brand, partly due to the assault on the newsstand from celebrity weeklies. It happened to everyone, not just Marie Claire.”

The magazine’s paid circulation was up 3 percent, to 970,000, in the last six months of 2005 compared with the same period in 2004. But the number of copies sold on the newsstand has been flat, an indicator that the magazine is not winning over impulse-buyers, who pay full price, as opposed to home subscribers, who pay discounted rates.

Marie Claire announced in April that it was seeking a “fresh perspective” and was not renewing the contract of its editor, Lesley Jane Seymour. Instead, it hired Ms. Coles, who was the executive editor of More magazine, which is geared toward women over 40.

Ms. Coles, who was a foreign correspondent for The Times of London and The Guardian, is hoping to revitalize Marie Claire by giving it attitude and orienting it toward confident, professional women.

For example, she said, a growing number of women are earning more than their husbands, and she wants Marie Claire to be a place where women discuss such matters. Maggie Gyllenhaal, an actress who Ms. Coles said was not typical magazine cover fare, is the subject of the September cover.

Inserting attitude and offering higher-end articles could be risky for a magazine that many women turn to for fashion and beauty information.

“It’s not easy to get at that market,” said Robert S. Boynton, director of the magazine program at New York University. “In the women’s category, we haven’t seen any new magazines that are ambitious editorially in that way in a long time.”

I read this article earlier today. I am curious to see what this magazine comes up with because its content is always a little ridiculous – except for maybe a couple of articles on women in less fortunate situations. However, those articles are usually among stupid pieces such as "Would you do your groceries in a bathing suit"...

Last edited by a moderator:
Marie Claire should have seen this when they took her photos!

But they did well after it.

thanks for posting this!
I really hope they get better covers, Maggie one is quite promising!
lets see how the september issue overall is then.

her nose her business...if she wasnt hounded constantly by the press she wouldnt have had such bad body image...at the end of the day so freaking what. She got the bump out of her nose. BIG DEAL.

I really do hope this new angle works for Marie Claire- it is a really, really bold move to stray away from the heard of magazines putting high-profile celebs on the cover. That said, as unattractive as I find her to be, the Maggie G cover looks very good, sort of a darker edge for fall.

You can tell the magazine's already headed in a new direction. The Maggie cover is much more 'edgy' than any Marie Claire cover I've ever seen! Usually they're so bright, and well... boring.

wow, im glad they are breaking out of their mold. the cover with maggie looks amazing. i think the cosmo style cover is just so freaking boring.

id like to see whats inside. ive always enjoyed marie claire for the most part, i hope they keep what is good about the magazine

JamieRL said:
her nose her business...if she wasnt hounded constantly by the press she wouldnt have had such bad body image...at the end of the day so freaking what. She got the bump out of her nose. BIG DEAL.

I agree, but it's just so hypocritical and irritating of Asslee to pretend like she's all original and interesting and preach about individuality and embracing your natural self and be little Miss Punk and then do an about face and turn into a Paris Hilton lookalike and get her nose (which does look better now, I'll admit, but it's the principle of the matter), probably the most publically recognizable thing about her physically, worked on.

I say more power to them, it seems pretty obvious, just by looking at the 2 covers, that they're headed in the right direction. I quite like the Maggie G. cover, I never thought of her as beautiful, but the cover is striking! What the f**k has ashlee simpson ever done to get to be on the cover of any half way respectable magazine anyway.

I hope it works for them, then maybe Vogue, Bazaar, etc. will get their heads out of the boring celebrity sand.

love to hear this. I really hope it's successful. I'm sick of these filler 'womens' magazines. And that cover is STUNNING. love maggie and love the cover. :heart: Will definately pick it up.

it's great to see a magazine like marie claire stand up and state that what ashlee simpson said, then did was wrong...
i'll definitely pick this up too...
the cover photo and choice of maggie gyllenhaal is fantastic...
i'm interested in seeing how they've continued the design changes inside...

Thanks for posting this. I read the article yesterday, and I was very impressed by what they did. Besides, I really like the new Maggie cover. IMHO, Ashlee is just another sacrifice of her greedy and disgusting dad.

The girl got her nose done, big deal. I am sure her talking about embracing ones self was probably meant more toward ones inner person. If not, then still, who cares, it's not hurting anyone.

i agree with the hypocrisy aspect of it and undrstand why people would be upset but there is no reason for marie claire to say they are dissapointed with her choice! maybe her choice of words but if she wants to have her nose done then no one should really care.

Personally, as someone with a big 'ol honker of a nose myself, I can see how Ashlee Simpson's actions could have "hurt" me as teenager. I was super self-conscious about it, I hated my nose and thought men would never find me beautiful with my nose. If I were a fan of Ashlee's at that time, seeing someone who I previously admired for embracing her uniqueness completely reverse her attitude would have affected me greatly.

Thank god I a) never liked Ashlee, and b) grew to love my nose!

I think the Ashlee situation is unique. She has been dogged for her looks in the past and has literally grown up in the shadow of Jessica, a woman who for whatever reasons is generally praised for being beautiful and a sex symbol. I can see where that combination would completely ruin ones self image, particularly if you have to lead your life in the public eye where looks are everything.

I'm glad Marie Claire addressed the situatoin though I'm not sure about the response, its a little harsh but it makes a statement.

Its nice to hear that a mass market fashion magazine is aiming to change its image and content. I haven't read an issue of Marie Claire in a long while, I thumbed through the last issue and it was OK but I'm excited for the September issue. That cover is stunning and Maggie is one of my faves. Should be a good read.

The cover with Maggie looks wicked. Marie Claire shouldn't have put Ashlee Simpson on the cover to begin with. She's more of a Seventeen cover girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cccccc
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->