Azzedine Alaia SLAMS Karl Lagerfeld and Anna Wintour

Aw, the NY Post identified him as a woman in Page Six today. Coincidence?

God bless Alaia! Someone needed to put anna at her place. She probably thinks she's the beginning and end of fashion!
Posted via Mobile Device
So better that Alaia seems to think that of himself? Her ego is inexcusable but his is perfectly fine and worth cheering for? That's a twisted bit of logic right there.

Not that I know for sure, but I think it's pretty safe to say that if Alaia's work was continually featured in Vogue and if his designs were included in the Model as Muse exhibit he wouldn't be "putting Anna in her place", regardless of his real feelings of her. I really don't think that ego-driven, two-faced behavior like that is worth praising, not that it's uncommon in fashion.

I don't like Alaia's entitled attitude one bit. Anna can put whoever she wants in her magazine. Get over it.

while his point about karl remains well-taken, he's really pointing out his own limitations and the limitations of most designers. karl lagerfeld remains a near genius because he can dabble in so many things and still pull it off quite spectacularly. in a year, azzedine may put out forty or fifty truly mind-blowing dresses and karl may put out forty or fifty mind-blowing dresses, but the difference remains that karl has also put out three books, sixteen collections, opened a couple of stores, released some new fragrances and beauty products, thrown six great parties, decorated a new home, photographed for several magazines, and probably earned tens upon tens of millions of dollars (in one year) while making those forty to fifty great dresses. so, yes, true, for a young designer, focus on making the forty to fifty great dresses because not everyone can be karl. and that's why karl is karl.

unfortunately, his criticism of anna wintour may show his age a bit. anna wintour will get venerated in very much the same sense as diana vreeland once did. the stories about her REMAIN legend and while he may not LIKE the point of view of american vogue (as so many don't), there's no denying that it HAS ONE.

Alaia :crush: I must get me some ... this lovely man deserves a place in my closet :wink:

Apparently you have amazing output when you're a vampire :innocent:

I think he's right about Wintour. I think she will end up having about the stature of Carmel Snow. Vreeland was a true personality and original--she's remembered for that and her style.

post 21

In 1955, the Vreelands moved to a new apartment which was decorated exclusively in red. Diana Vreeland had Billy Baldwin[disambiguation needed] decorate her apartment.[12] She said, "I want this place to look like a garden, but a garden in hell."

Thanks for explaining the picture. To this day, it's probably one of the 10 most famous rooms of all time.

Also, in the picture shown, Vreeland is past her personal prime. In younger years, she had the most gorgeous hands and feet ... so graceful. (Don't smoke, girls.)

onestylemile.blogspot, design2share

I'm not finding the whole shoot from which this first shot is taken ... anyone know where it is?

dianavreeland-2.jpg

diana-vreeland+(1).jpg

I'm totally agree with Alaia. Honestly, I have never like Karl or Anna.

Don't understand me wrong - I don't say it just because of what Alaia said. And something more - I don't hate Karl or Anna. I think they're great. On the other said Karl is farce to me. He made some magnificent things, but nothing more. He annoys me with his ego, his "I-can-make-all-of-it" thing, in fact I don't like Chanel so much...

And Anna - she has a poor, poor taste! She mix things very bad, she has wrong haircut for her... It's not necessary to say a word about Vogue US. Everyone knows it's now a lifestyle magazine not a fashion mag.

Of coure I must admit their achievements. One word is enough - sales. It's all about money and yeah Karl and Anna doing it well. Applause for their mercantile success. Many people adore them and want to be like them, maybe they have their arguments.

I'm totally agree with Alaia. Honestly, I have never like Karl or Anna.

Don't understand me wrong - I don't say it just because of what Alaia said. And something more - I don't hate Karl or Anna. I think they're great. On the other said Karl is farce to me. He made some magnificent things, but nothing more. He annoys me with his ego, his "I-can-make-all-of-it" thing, in fact I don't like Chanel so much...

And Anna - she has a poor, poor taste! She mix things very bad, she has wrong haircut for her... It's not necessary to say a word about Vogue US. Everyone knows it's now a lifestyle magazine not a fashion mag.

Of coure I must admit their achievements. One word is enough - sales. It's all about money and yeah Karl and Anna doing it well. Applause for their mercantile success. Many people adore them and want to be like them, maybe they have their arguments.

:rofl: So damning :lol:

I just let my Vogue subscription run out (last issue Lady Gaga--nice timing). I find the Meisel shoots so incredibly tedious and boring with the models leaping about on the pages each and every month. Yes, there was a time (decades ago) when that was innovative. That time has come and gone. The magazine is a total snooze (much like Anna's wardrobe) and appears to be trading almost entirely on its name at this point.

Yes, Anna does a lot of things to support the industry and that's all very nice, but in an industry that's commonly supposed to be about innovation, I find her lack of it ironic :innocent:

:rofl: So damning :lol:

I just let my Vogue subscription run out (last issue Lady Gaga--nice timing). I find the Meisel shoots so incredibly tedious and boring with the models leaping about on the pages each and every month. Yes, there was a time (decades ago) when that was innovative. That time has come and gone. The magazine is a total snooze (much like Anna's wardrobe) and appears to be trading almost entirely on its name at this point.

Yes, Anna does a lot of things to support the industry and that's all very nice, but in an industry that's commonly supposed to be about innovation, I find her lack of it ironic :innocent:

I strongly disagree since the magazine has never been so good with so many new faces and cooler articles, the coverstars are also changing and so does the website etc. Vogue follows an evolution under Wintour's management, however Alaia's words weren't that wrong when he spoke about Largerfeld in my opinion, but he could have been more respectful perhaps.

^ You're entitled to your opinion, but you've been reading the magazine for only a fraction of its history. Whether it's never been better or no, as it stands right now, I find it not worth my time to read.

footcandyshoes

One example of Vreeland's influence ...

Manolo Blahnik began his extraordinary career in the Seventies and continues to be a champion of timeless and beautifully crafted designs. His shoes are synonymous with high glamour and full-throttle sex appeal and have become as famous as the women who wear them. Born in 1943 in the Canary Islands to a Spanish mother and Czech father and raised on a banana plantation, Blahnik's formative years could not have been further from the fashion capitals of the world. He began by studying architecture and literature at the University of Geneva but abandoned his studies after just a year in favor of moving to Paris 1968. He moved to London two years later where he worked briefly as a photographer for the Sunday Times and immediately fell into the fashion set, making friends with Paloma Picasso and photographer Eric Boman. During a trip to New York in 1971 with his new friends, Blahnik was introduced to Diana Vreeland, then the editor-in-chief of US Vogue, by Picasso. At the time, Blahnik wanted to be a theatre designer but, once he had been persuaded to show her his sketches and after admiring the shoes he had on - a tiny Edwardian pair from Portobello Market - Vreeland insisted that he "should concentrate on the funny little things on the feet".

Hello everybody,

my name is Eric Waroll. I am the one who interviewed Azzedine Alaïa for Virgine magazine, which caused some kind of a controversy. I just wanted to thank you all for discussing about it on the Fashion Spot forum.

I would like to make something clear: when I interviewed him, Azzedine Alaïa didn't make these comments about Lagerfeld and Wintour in a disrespectful way. He respects the way Karl Lagerfeld and Anna Wintour run their business, he just said that he didn't like it. And it's not because we don't like something that we can't respect it :wink:

Don't hesitate to ask me any question about Azzedine Alaïa and the interview, I will try to answer as soon as possible.

Thank you once again for all your comments!

^And that is why I love tFS ^_^ Did Azzedine contact you after the interview was published and was he OK with the way his comments came across and were received by the press? To me it actually does not sound like he has a lot of respect for Karl and Anna :unsure:

^And that is why I love tFS Did Azzedine contact you after the interview was published and was he OK with the way his comments came across and were received by the press? To me it actually does not sound like he has a lot of respect for Karl and Anna

Hello Psylocke!

Azzedine Alaïa's PR contacted me last month to invite me to Alaïa's Fall 2011 Couture show a few days ago. They told me they were happy with the shoot and on how the interview was edited and received by the press.

When I interviewed him, we talked about a lot of things. Most of the things we talked about had to be edited in the magazine, but I can truly tell you that the man I interviewed was one of the most respectful and humble person I've ever met. It is true that he doesn't love Anna Wintour: he is not afraid to let her know his feelings about her, but he does respect how she runs Vogue, even if he doesn't agree with her on some points.

I guess what he's trying to say is that the fashion world that we're living in right now is way too much superficial and decadent than it should be. People forgot that he also blames the fashion system. He doesn't not only criticize Anna and Karl, but the whole fashion system in general too. And we all know that on the top of this giant fashion world, Anna and Karl kinda rule it.

I think he wanted to warn the young fashion talents about the "danger" of fashion: just take a look at John Galliano, Decarnin, McQueen... It is true that Anna Wintour and Karl Lagerfeld don't really highlight the fact that it is really hard to work in fashion, and it seems like they let people think that it is so easy and simple. But it's not. It's just an impression though. And it's not their job to do that too...

Hope I well answered your question! :-)

Yes, thank you, that does answer my question :smile: As some other people in this thread have mentioned I thought Azzedine sounded somewhat bitter in that interview but maybe he is indeed just very passionate about stating the difference between creative fashion and fashion as a system.

Thanks for stopping by, Eric :flower:

I didn't see Alaia coming across as bitter at all.

I really admire him for demonstrating that you don't need the fashion system to succeed. Perhaps that's the vibe he's getting from Anna ... maybe she feels a bit threatened because Alaia goes his own way, and as he points out, is very successful in this country with less than no support from US Vogue (but more than a little from the First Lady :wink:).

It's really hilarious that she tried to play off the complete absence of invites to his show as a boycott :lol:

Hello Fashionista-ta!

Well, I was absolutely not surprised when I saw that there was no one from US VOGUE at Alaia's show. I thought it was... quite funny! But she wasn't invited and no one at US VOGUE was invited either... so... :D

But, VOGUE Paris and VOGUE Italia were among the guests, with Stefano Tonchi, Carine Roitfeld (who didn't even pay attention to Emmanuelle Alt...)... But it had a funny, happy and joyful atmosphere though. Maybe because everybody was excited to be part of the "return" of Alaïa...

It is true that in America, Alaïa doesn't need Anna Wintour. Miss Obama and Naomi Campbell support him very well. And don't forget the great Grace Jones, who was in Paris yesterday with Alaïa by the way.

;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->