Berlin shopping

In 2 weeks I'm going to Berlin for a weekend trip with a girlfriend sans kids..

I've been told that there is a huge textil market somewhere in Berlin, which I think my friend would like to see since she sews so much. Any idea which market this might be and where it is located ?

Any good restaurant/cafe recommendations would also be greatly appreciated !

I went to do research i Berlin some month ago and I was highly surprised! It was the first time there (strange) and I found it so spacy, light, colorful and fresh...A lot of wonderful shops, cute little places where young designers sell their stuff, great street-art..a bit like Barcelona but bigger and colder..It's huge..
I went to a nice place called Zoes, to eat..close to Alexanderplatz..close to "Apartement" (i think the name was..expensive but nice stuff) really good.."king Kong Club" for beer and sixties music...Whatever...wherever I went I found really great places..Nice people too..even if a lot of them don't speak english...

o.k. i'm waiting for the oscars to start and don't know what to do with myself, so here you all go. some tips for you guys :flower:

shopping by area

mitte: (around "hackescher markt").

the streets to wander are münzstrasse, alte schönhauser strasse (not neue schönhauser, really), mulackstrasse and rosa-luxemburg-strasse. in this area you'll find, for ex:

acne: münzstrasse
a.p.c.: mulackstr.
andreas murkudis: münzstr.
apartment: memhardtstr. (off-alexanderplatz)
best shop: alte schönhauser str. 6
bless: mulackstr.
blush dessous: rosa-luxemburg-str.
ulf haines: rosa-luxemburg-str.
soma: alte schönhauser str.
tools & gallery (t&g:( alte schönhauser str.

also take a taxi to: cdg guerilla, karl-marx-allee 78 (closing march 19), near it is another temporary store "berliner klamotten" selling local designers but with a lot of crap also :sick:

mitte (around friedrichstrasse)

quartier 206 departmenstore: friedrichstr. 71 http://www.departmentstore-quartier206.com/
in the same building/passage stores by lv, ysl, gucci, etro, la perla, céline, bottega veneta...

q206 is totally worth a visit but don't waste your time wandering up or down friedrichstrasse, it's a waste of time (exept hermès has a nice shop). lafayette is next to q206 but it's not nearly as luxurious as in paris.

the former head of q206 departmentstore has just opened a great new concept space "the corner berlin" at gendarmenmarkt/markgrafenstrasse (near the regent hotel). they stock galliano, alaia, mouret, balenciaga and great furniture.

o.k. that's what i can think of right now. all locations are in "east berlin".

as for west berlin, the showy flagships are still in the west, on ku'damm/kurfürstendamm (b/w knesebeckstr. and adenauerplatz) if one's into chanel, valentino. lv, rykiel, and so on.
but jil sander has a very nice shop (ku'damm 185). and harvey's, just off-ku'damm on bleibtreustrasse, next door to piaget is a tiny tiny but nice menswear shop selling the japanese and artsy stuff (miyake, number (n)ine).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hanne, i'm quite sure you mean KaDeWe :wink: that's a huge store where you can find everything you desire- have a look at the cosmetics, you'll find a huge variety there!
one of the best-located boroughs is 'Mitte' with its large shopping street Ku'damm (you find different brands there- from Chanel, Burberry to Zara, H&M and others).
Enjoy Berlin :wink:

Thank you nikos and *DiamondQueen* - not sure KaDeWe is the market I've been told about.. I think it's a turkish textil market that's supposedly extremely cheap ?

you're very welcome, Hanne :flower:
look at www.kadewe.de
by the way the address of KaDeWe is Taurentzienstr. 21-24 (very central) ...as it's Europe's biggest department store KaDeWe is worth a visit in any case!(they sell about 2000 brands there on many floors)

Great place to eat :
PIZZERIA I DUE FORNI Schönhauser Allee 12 10119 Berlin (u-bahn stop : senefelderplatz) - Cheap, great, fun, noisy and gooood food (pizza the way it should be).

KaDeWe - If you're expecting a german version of Harrods, Selfridge etc..this is not it.. The clothing selection was sub par.. The cosmetics section was okay.

Sewing - if you're into sewing there is a dirt cheap textile and Turkish delicacy market every tuesday and friday from 12:00 - 18:30 at Maybachufer (u-bahn stop: Schönleinstrasse).

I'll be visiting Berlin in the end of this May.
I'd love to do some shopping. Especially jeans or shoes.
Comparing to UK or Sweden, does anyone know if the jeans are often cheaper or expensiver?
Are there any chic brands that I should look for, in jeans? Or is it better to buy jeans in Sweden.

Are there any good, but a bit cheap stores that sell really nice clothes? Something like H&M or topshop.

For the swedes, there's this Berlin shopping special in the Cosmopolitan june issue. It made me hopeful again, about finding something beautiful when I'm visiting Berlin.

They recommended the Blush store. They wrote that it's a spectacular underwearstore. Does anyone have any knowledge of it? Quality, prices.. etc.

I'm going to Berlin next week, I love it! I don't know the city that well, but I have a few tips: on Rosenthaler Strasse, and around that area, there are many funky smaller shops. They mostly sell sporty, designer streetwear though, which isn't really my style, but if you look there are great clothes just waiting to be found! There's also a really good restaurant (though a bit expensive) called Pan Asian in the Hackeschen Maerkten which serves great sushi rolls :smile: Finally, though the Ku'damm has all the shops you could ever want, there's not much atmosphere and it's usually pretty crowded. I prefer the East Berlin neighborhoods, like Prenzlauer Berg, which are trendier but less crowded.

I had an amazing time at the Departmentstore Quartier 206 mentioned here. They have top notch brands and an excellent sales staff who knows when to give you space.

I've written more about it for Stylebites. Check it out here.

nearly all amazing shops in berlin are mentioned here ^_^ there are only two i want to add:

the corner
AM GENDARMENMARKT
FRANZÖSISCHE STR. 40
( in the area of friedrichstraße)

and

duong l lee

gormannstraße 24
ecke mulackstraße( in the area of hackescher markt )

the corner : amazing big shop where you can buy clothes from international in-labels , books and magazines about art & lifestyle , mobile phones , ipods and other cool trendy stuff. there's also a yummy restaurant in the shop.

duong l lee :
amazing little new shop with hand-crafted , elegant , beautiful clothes. :rolleyes: you have to go there. it's worth it. the designers are very nice and the clothes include also lots of evening dresses.

Just booked to go to Berlin in the week before easter with the fella! We can't wait to get some shopping in.

I'm going to Berlin next week, does anyone have any good vintage (very cheap!) shopping addresses? Thanks ever so much. :flower:

for all berlin visitors who wanna go shopping in berlin and wanna find some fashion (brands) outta berlin, you should check out this site here.
it is helping me a lot...even though i am kinda from berlin :wink:

www.berlinerklamotten.com

btw. Hackescher Markt/Höfe is a great place to go shopping...more of small shops with individual fashion situated in the center and couple of cafes.

:smile:

I'm in Berlin right now :smile: I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned the Kastanienallee and the Oderbergerstrasse. Both are in Prenzlauer Berg (East all the way!) and have a few fun vintage, kitsch and retro shops like Skunkfunk, which I think represent Berlin style very well. More fun to hang out than do serious shopping at, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->