Stockholm!!! Share the info!!!

Arturo21 said:
Icey. I have been to stockholm a few times and stayed there for a total of around 4 months or so. But, I have never been to Helsinki and I hope to study there..Is Helsinki anything like Stockholm? I know the language is very different, but how about the way everything is run and the general attitude of the place? Thx. :flower:
Arturo21, I can answer for icey. Helsinki is somewhat like Stockholm but not really, I'd say Swedish people tend to be friendlier, or so I've heard from foreigners. Helsinki is smaller than Stockholm, but it's a cute and elegant city. You were saying you hoped to study in Helsinki, what do want to study?

I live in Stockholm so if you have any specified questions do feel free to pm or msn me.

Sad to say that hotels in Stockholm are somewhat shabby, not sub-London tho.
Cheapest way is just to thrawl through the internet sites like ryanairhotels and lastminute.com and see what you get. Just watch out for the one called Nordic Light, it's duller than real life in it's most gloomiest. You can always rent a room in my friend suburban flat if you want cheap and Stockholmy, it's not a joke but it should be.

For shopping, start by making a list, 1,2,3,4,5 etc, and just go NEU NEU NEU NEU! the rest of the way you can thrawl through SoFo and St.Eriksplan. Birger jarlsgatan is rather dull actually but if yr looking for nice quality shirts do visit La Chemise. You will probably do NK as well so you can just visit the PK-house right next to and try the shops in there, acne and some other brands are housed. Do not forget the CDG-guerilla store or the new Nakkna store at Medborgarplatsen. I'd be more than happy to make some printable map with highlighted place to shop if you would have any use of that.

For clubbing ? Am not really sure what kind of scene you usually belong to but Kilotin is rather hyped nowadays ( http://www.kilotin.se/gallery for pics of the clientele).

as someone questioned already, when you coming ? summer or fall?

Last edited by a moderator:
you must visit the Stockholm City Library.Wonderful architecture. you should also go up the Gondola at sodermalm and walk across the bridge. I found it quite exciting as i am afraid of heights.

For shops, you should also visit nittygritty, which is way off the tourist track at Krukmakargatan 26. Go to Ordning & Reda for stationery and paper products. There are lots of other great shops off the main shopping street (i forgot the name) at sodermalm.

watch out for the cdg-guerilla store tho.
Prices are shockingly high and the selection leaves alot to the imagination.

Spacemiu said:
Theres a CDG Guerilla in Stockholm

östgötagatan 48 - 116 64 STOCKHOLM

Neu http://www.neu.se/

That's weird... it says Nytorgsgatan 36 in the linked ad... or is it two different shops?

Not that the addresses are far apart really, I can prolly check out both locations within about ten minutes... :P

*EllaH said:
Arturo21, I can answer for icey. Helsinki is somewhat like Stockholm but not really, I'd say Swedish people tend to be friendlier, or so I've heard from foreigners. Helsinki is smaller than Stockholm, but it's a cute and elegant city. You were saying you hoped to study in Helsinki, what do want to study?
Thx, Ellah :flower:

I want to study industrial/furniture design. I may study a bit of fashion but not as my main career. I've always admired Finnish industrial design for it's clean lines.

Oh, Faust, you should check out Wallpaper Navigator*, this month's issue has a feature on Stockholm. Also, try Nordic Reach magazine, you can probably find it at Barnes and Noble - I live in Raleigh and to my great surprise they have it here, you live in NYC, they must have it there -

It's a great magazine for all things Scandinavian and really educates the reader on Scandinavian culture and also has some parts on what to do, places to go, etc.

Enjoy.

faust said:
Thanks!

May 18 - May 23. Come meet us!

Mrs. Faust is into all kinds of things :doh: :D :woot:

Oh, Faust you are going on holidays: so great for you, bad for me. why? I got tkts for the U2-concert in NYC (a surprised birthday present) and hoped we could meet you. will PM you :flower:

Arturo21 said:
Icey. I have been to stockholm a few times and stayed there for a total of around 4 months or so. But, I have never been to Helsinki and I hope to study there..Is Helsinki anything like Stockholm? I know the language is very different, but how about the way everything is run and the general attitude of the place? Thx. :flower:

Yeah Swedish and Finnish is spoken in Helsinki and it's just like Sthlm and all the other Nordic capitals. Easy going, clean, safe and beautiful ! :flower:

Thanks everyone, keep it coming! Arturo, I will definitely look into the Navigator. I was actually leafing through the heap of old Wallpaper mags I keep recently.

Pradaesk, you just made me incredibly upset :cry:. I really wanted to meet you and your husband.

icey said:
Yeah Swedish and Finnish is spoken in Helsinki and it's just like Sthlm and all the other Nordic capitals. Easy going, clean, safe and beautiful ! :flower:

When it comes to fashion and architecture, I found Helsinki more pleasing (and more experimental) than Stockholm, and Oslo, for that matter. It's honestly the coolest city I've ever been to. To me, all Scandinavians seem shy and a bit unapproachable, so I didn't really notice a difference between the two places in that respect. And yeah, they all speak English and Swedish somehow, even though it's such the opposite of their language. Anyway, just thought I'd share :wink:

I'd tell you where to go in Stockholm, but I'm thinking about it, and I don't remember much about it! It's my aunt who takes me around when I go there, and I never got to do any clothes shopping. I just looked at dalahasts and creative chimneys...

Haven't read the thread so if it's allready mention, I appologize.

This month (may) The National Museum in Stockholm will be having an exhibit on conceptual design. To see a list of all arrangements go to : http://www.stockholmdesign.se :flower:

tott said:
Hey, that's where I live! Or that's where my apartment is; I'm moving back to Stockholm June 2... I would've loved to guide you around town!

:woot: That would've been fantastic!!! People are travelling! Too bad I'll miss you.

I'm leaving Wednesday, thought I'd bump this up for any last minute suggestions... :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->