Best Digital Camera

Tangerine, I'm pretty sure my friend with the 50D had the EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS USM and he told me it cost him $1100AUD, whereas my other friend bought his Nikkor AFS 17-55mm f2.8 for $1200AUD, so it's only a $100 difference (both bought them second hand). I think even when it comes to the FX lenses, the prices are comparable. However I have no idea about the L series, only that they are very good, and I do agree that Canon has a better range of DX lenses.

Yes, ergonomics are entirely subjective but most people that I've talked to, both Canon and Nikon users, agree that Nikons feel better in the hand and have more intuitive controls.

I have no intent to incite a multi page debate about Nikon vs Canon because both are good (I came very close to buying a 5D MkII) but in this case I just think a D90 is better and cheaper, because as you said, "for most people the cost could well be a significant consideration."

I agree there is no point to having a "religious war" between Canon and Nikon, and in any case I am not firmly in either camp; last round I went for the D60 over the 450D, and next round I am leaning towards either a used 40D (may have a line on a good deal) or a 50D. The introduction of the 7D is likely to cause some lightly used 50Ds to appear on the market.

If I was buying Nikon again, the D300s is the one I'd be looking at... but that is more than I want to spend now. I don't doubt that the D90 is very nice.

Buying secondhand lenses can definitely equalize or invert any price hierarchy that exists in the retail/discount market. Prices I have seen for new lenses put the Nikon lenses a little to a lot higher, but that's only strictly applicable to buying new.

Team Nikon I have failed you, but I tried my best LOL

:lol: Nah, you didn't fail, but you did tip your hand. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
tangerine, in terms of lenses I'd be interested in... when I used my old Canon SLR I had a 28-80mm (which come with the camera) and an 75-300mm Ultrasonic which I bought later on. I hope that's not too vague. I found those 2 lenses pretty covered everything I needed but I guess now days they are old hat.
I need to do some research...

Yes, do as much research as you can stand! :lol: There are a lot of lenses out there.

Remember that with the 1.6 crop factor of the 50D (and its relatives), your 28-80 becomes effectively a 44-128. If you like shooting at the wide end of the 28-80, you will want a lens that starts at 17 or 18mm.

Then you need to decide how fast you need it to be, whether you need image stabilization, etc.

Ryan, if it makes you feel any better, I'd most likely buy a top of the range Nikon if I had unlimited funds. To me they've always been the rolls royce of cameras. B)

I've just been doing some research on the net and I was wondering if this camera lens combo has the crop factor Tangerine has mentioned? Canon EOS 50D 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens Kit

Any thoughts at all on this lens with the Canon 50D.... good or bad?
This has given me a headache, all the specs are swinmming in head. :blink:

^ Researching cameras and lenses online is probably one of the most excruciating things that I've ever done. I think you should just go to several shops and talk to the pros/play with the camera.

Tangerine, it was fun and games this time but next time it will be a fight to the death! And I will bring my A game*

*this will most likely involve animated gifs and lolcats

Ryan, if it makes you feel any better, I'd most likely buy a top of the range Nikon if I had unlimited funds. To me they've always been the rolls royce of cameras. B)

I've just been doing some research on the net and I was wondering if this camera lens combo has the crop factor Tangerine has mentioned? Canon EOS 50D 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens Kit

Any thoughts at all on this lens with the Canon 50D.... good or bad?
This has given me a headache, all the specs are swinmming in head. :blink:

The EOS 50D, as well as the 40D and Nikon D90 are all crop sensor cameras. Any lens you put on these bodies is affected, so to speak, by this sensor size. With Canon, the crop factor is 1.6; with Nikon, it's 1.5. Multiply the focal length by the crop factor to see the full-frame (35mm) equivalent.

There is an in-depth review of the lens on dpreview.com, you can read it here if you want.

To summarize it, this class of zoom, called a "superzoom" because of the very great range of focal lengths it covers, inherently has some compromises. You trade off some image quality for the convenience of having an "all-in-one" lens. It's really up to you if it is worth it.

Specifically, this lens exhibits a fair amount of distortion, especially at the wide end, and a fair amount of chromatic aberration, both of which can be corrected somewhat in software if you are willing to do so.

On the plus size, it has extraordinarily good image stabilization.

The lens does not really allow you to fully appreciate the resolving power of the 50D.

The conclusion quoted directly from dpreview.com:

So overall, this lens has to be accepted for what it is: a general purpose solution which allows the photographer not to worry about fiddling around changing lenses when out traveling, but which makes inevitable optical compromises to achieve this goal. Those seeking the ultimate in technical image quality will need to look elsewhere, but as an overall package it's likely as good as any other DSLR superzoom out there. So for users looking for the convenience of such a lens, it's a perfectly good choice.

OMG, the more I learn about digital lenses.... the more I realise I know nothing. :huh:

Thanks for that great post (again) Tangerine. I had actually found that artical on dpreview about the 18-200mm lens myself yesterday. I don't like the sound of the distortion you mention and I also don't like the sound of the crop sensor the 50D has. Hmmm, maybe I'm imagining it worse than it is but the fact that SLR cameras were 'what you see if what you get' always appealed to me.

Can I ask what lenses you own?

Maybe I should look into the Canon 7D camera with 18-135mm IS lens.

The 7D is a crop sensor camera, too. :smile: Most of the DSLRs on the market are, and you will pay a steep price for FF/FX.

7D is a hot ticket right now, if you have the money for it I think it's a great idea. I don't know much about the 18-135 IS lens, but it doesn't appear to have the USM focusing motor, and at that price I'll hazard a guess that you won't be getting all the 7D has to offer, resolution-wise.

My current approach would be to make sure that the lens will be able to deliver the full resolution the camera can offer. Having said that, you will be disappointed at my lens (note singular :lol:), it is the kit lens for the Nikon D60. It's fine but nothing special. I could benefit from a better lens, myself.

Since we're on the subject of the 7D... My dad bought one yesterday and is letting me test it out. The ISO can be set to a ridiculous 12800, which is both impressive and kind of unnecessary! But maybe I'm just bitter since my D40x has more noise at ISO 3200 than the 7D does at 12800. Anyway, it's going to be fun to play around with.

Tangerine, thank you so much for your help. Your post have been great... they haven't helped me make me mind up, but they have given me a lot to ponder over....lol. All the good stuff is so expensive, especially in the lens department. *sigh*

seanutbutter, lucky Dad. I'm sure you and your Dad will be having a ball with that camera, it sounds fab. Did he get a lens with the camera too or just the body only?

^ He bought the body only and then purchased the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS lens separately. The depth of field while shooting HD video is really impressive!

^Sounds pretty darn good. There's a definite advantage of having family into photography too. :P

seanutbutter, I've been waiting for your input in this conversation! :lol: I am looking forward to reading your thoughts on the 7D after you have spent some time with it.

CherryBomb, glad to have given you some things to think about. I think we both wish our families would help out in the equipment buying! :lol:

haha these cameras are pricey! i was thinking of getting a digital SLR but found that i won't use it enough to make it worth it.

I recently got a point and shoot Canon SD780. It is small and good quality and gets the job done :D

I'm looking at buying a Canon G11....anyone own one or tried one and have any thoughts/suggestions? i was for a moment debating whether or not to get a very good point and shoot like the G11 or a beginner DSLR but I think a DSLR at this point would be overly ambitious... i love photography but have little to no formal knowledge about it .. I just want to self-teach and experiment as i go along.. so i think i'm going to stick with a good point and shoot with some manual features for the time being.

I've always stuck with my Canon 5D, full frame and perfect to carry around...
Last summer I switched to the 5D mark 2 and omg, great update to the old one! It's brilliant. :smile: Lenses wise, I stick to my 50mm f/1.0 as a standard...When I'm out and shooting, it's nearly always on my camera. Beautiful bokeh and softness and I definitely love how to brightens up dark places, I hate using flashes...

On boths 5Ds whenever I shoot with an ISO of 800 and I barely get any noise. It's amazing how little the quality suffers at high iso on them compared to their counterparts.

i would love it if you guys would post some pictures you have taken with your cameras :smile:

i am going to buy a new camera soon but im not quite sure what to get yet. i want a really good camera. i recently bought a canon with 10,0 megapx. but it wasnt even that good!

i would love it if you guys would post some pictures you have taken with your cameras :smile:

i am going to buy a new camera soon but im not quite sure what to get yet. i want a really good camera. i recently bought a canon with 10,0 megapx. but it wasnt even that good!

Members can and do post their photography in the Our Photography thread. :flower:

Megapixel count is not really an index of image quality (though most of Canon's cameras are good at their respective price points, IMO.) You have to also take the sensor size and the lens into account. Smaller cameras generally have smaller sensors and produce noisier images. What camera did you buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katerinadimitriou
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->