Chicago shopping

The new Zara is even more disappointing than the Michigan Ave one? Yikes...

And I had no idea Marc opened tomorrow! I work right by there and I'm going in soon, I'm gonna take a look today.

Marc Jacobs was actually open today... my friend and I went in. It was very small!

Marc Jacobs was actually open today... my friend and I went in. It was very small!

:sick: i hate zara.

Marc Jacobs? the store on or off of oak street right? its like. it seems big. it's like right next to the newly opened Barneys (and let me say WOW its a big store! it seems like a really big store, but the mens's collection/selection is like, it seems about the same size? but i only ran in and ran out looking for something i forgot. i forget.

:heart: :flower:

I just moved to the city away from my evil parents in the suburbs and I live alone in a loft on the west side, if anyone is looking for a shopping buddy or whatever. a posing buddy. let's pose downtown.

haha

i need friends B)

someone contact me to hang out before i turn mortal!

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a good dry cleaning place to recommend? Anywhere on the north side or downtown works.

Does anyone have a good dry cleaning place to recommend? Anywhere on the north side or downtown works.

My family uses New Town Cleaners on Broadway in Lakeview, by the Jewel. The Asian lady is so cute, and she's very efficient. She always has everything done on time. We've never had any raging problems [i.e. she once cuffed my brother's pants instead of a flat front; he got over it], and we use them frequently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got an e-mail today from the Me & Ro store stating that as of today they're closed. I'm so upset! I wish they could have sent the e-mail the weekend before they closed so I could visit one last time. I loved that store.

TOPSHOP IS COMING TO CHICAGO! It will replace the Borders on Michigan!

Fall 2011 will bring more than colored leaves to Chicago – it's getting a Topshop flagship.

"I am delighted to confirm our second U.S. store will open in Chicago in the autumn of 2011," Mary Homer, Topshop's managing director, tells StyleLIst.

"A bustling, vibrant city of culture with a dynamic love of fashion, I feel confident that the local community and tourists alike will be drawn to Topshop and our trend-driven, ever-evolving ranges."

The whopping, 30,000-square-foot store will open in a corner location on the city's tony Michigan Avenue, next to Filene's Basement.

"Michigan Avenue is steeped in history and this impressive building provides the perfect backdrop for us to launch our most innovative retail concept yet," says Homer.

The chain's Topshop and Topman lines will both be represented in what is set to be the second U.S. location (New York City's SoHo store is the first).

Topshop's owner, Sir Philip Green, told WWD the merchandise "will not be materially different" from that of SoHo or London's Oxford Circus flagship.

The next cities targeted for the British brand's expansion are Las Vegas, San Francisco, and Los Angeles, with Miami and a second New York location in the plans.

The final full Kate Moss for Topshop collection will not be in the Chicago store, as it is launching in London on Nov. 4. Fingers crossed that her periodic capsule collections do make an appearance in the Windy City.

http://www.stylelist.com/2010/09/27/topshop-chicago/

But I go to that Borders all the time :(
Will they relocate it?

I'm going to Chicago for the first time very soon, and I'll be there for a whole 3 months :woot: What I need to know is where the best shoe stores are. Any suggestions? Also I liked H&M last time I was in the US, and with the new Lanvin collection I'm wondering if I should shop there. Suggestions? ^_^

Niche Footwear is great! 1566 North Damen Avenue, Chicago its midrange price wise and has designers that you don't find everywhere. You should also check out Robin Richman 2108 North Damen Avenue while in the area it has cool stuff pricey but interesting there is also a Marc by Marc Jacobs 1714 North Damen Avenue and other stores on the same street.

^ Thanks for that Sophia! Ill be sure to check those out.

Meanwhile, Im having another problem. I'm currently staying at Niles and I'm taking a train into the Ogilvie Station in Chicago. Where do you guys suggest I go from there? Where are the best malls/boutiques from there? Chicago is so overwhelmingly large, I'm having a hard time navigating Google Maps LOL Any help would be great ^_^

I would get on the Clinton green line train about 3 blocks north of where you are and head downtown and do Michigan ave. shopping.

^ I took your advice Sophia. Chicago is breathtaking. It's absolutely stunning. I shopped at Zara and Armani Exchange, and I'm going back later to look at Burberry. And I went to that little popcorn place :lol:
Thanks for your advice, really good shopping and so much cheaper than back home!!

^ I took your advice Sophia. Chicago is breathtaking. It's absolutely stunning. I shopped at Zara and Armani Exchange, and I'm going back later to look at Burberry. And I went to that little popcorn place :lol:
Thanks for your advice, really good shopping and so much cheaper than back home!!

You mean Garrett popcorn? Yum!

Anyways, wanted to bump this thread. Any suggestions on must do activities (ie shopping, restuarants, coffee place, Christmas-y things) since I'll be there around Christmas time. :heart:

I was walking around the loop this weekend and saw that the Loehmann's on State Street is closed! Apparently it's because the retailer is filing for bankruptcy and is closing its "under-performing stores."

It won't be too missed by me. The men's department was such a joke!

^ I dislike Loehman's. Of all the boutiques and department stores I visited during my time in Chicago, Loehman's was one of the worst. I have only 6 days left, I'm gonna miss Chicago...

When I lived in California, Loehmann's was wonderful and always had a mind-boggling array of real designer deals -- I got a beautiful fendi shirt there for $40. Ever since it was bought-out by some private equity group in Dubai or wherever in the Middle East, it went really downhill. They started stocking way too much junior's clothing, and the prices really weren't heavily discounted anymore (since on such cheap clothes, there's not much room to move anyway!).

I'm sad to see Loehmann's go even though the Chicago location really sucked. I don't think I ever saw anything worth buying there. Car Shoe was about as high-end a line as they seemed to carry.

Hopefully some other retailer will take advantage of this State Street location? The area is retail centric and the property is quite large, 20,000sq ft ish.

Not that this would interest too many of us, but I see an Eileen Fisher store is going to open at Block 37, by Anthropologie. I actually think it'll be a great addition for Block 37 and bring much needed customers down to the area. It's always so empty in that mall.

Does anyone know when the Topshop on Michigan Ave is going to open?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->