Do You Fear for the Future of Chanel?

Never cared that much about Chanel, I have no fascination for the brand, its history and legacy despite I know its influence can't be overlooked. That said, the last couture collection is tragic compared to what it used to be.

Chanel is doing fine. It will always sell. the product is also beautiful in a real life shop. Its Fendi we need to focus on....:shock:

I'm happy to say that this is something I feel no fear about whatsoever. I am thinking of buying from Chanel for I think the first time ever (not counting beauty), but still, what happens to this house is not on my top million worries list.

theyre doing the right thing - the transition to the next designer has to be smooth for a brand like chanel. Having dull *** virginie is fine because she is almost sanitizing the brand with her boringness. Its undoubtedly very chanel and that is the most important thing. Virginie is as boring as og chanel - slightly uglier color ways. Thats what the brand needs in its time of transition and theyre not going to find another KL overnight.

I had half a flare of hope when there was that rumour about poaching Ghesquiere (who is, at the very least, not boring and has a fantastic eye for accessories) but idk if he'd leave LV just as his sensibility is starting to come together in the clothes there. Who knows what the terms are.

Virginie works fine for the moment and is making money for the brand, that's all they care about.

I had half a flare of hope when there was that rumour about poaching Ghesquiere (who is, at the very least, not boring and has a fantastic eye for accessories) but idk if he'd leave LV just as his sensibility is starting to come together in the clothes there. Who knows what the terms are.

Virginie works fine for the moment and is making money for the brand, that's all they care about.
Chanel would make sense for him if he wants to do Couture. It’s the only house that could work with his sensibility and allow him to keep the standards he has build for himself over the years. He has revamped Balenciaga, there’s no need to revamp another house. And Vuitton is maybe the biggest brand in luxury, Chanel is still the biggest fashion house in the world.

^^^ LOL

Remember in the 2000s when high fashion actually exceeded its reputation and standards with this astounding level of innovation and creative talent that blurred the lines between RTW and HC, with many designers producing RTW offerings that were so exquisite they may as well qualify as couture: Tom Ford, Miuccia, Rei, Helmut, Hedi…??? Karl rightfully calling out sweats as uniform for those that have given up on life? …But here we are in 2023, where offensively overpriced sweats and even more ludicrously-overpriced outlet rejects are the standard in high fashion, and couture is overrun by lesser commoners with over-inflated egos from that Pyer Moss person to Charles de Vilmorin whom don't even bothering to hide how terrifying unskilled they are, only that they’re now “couturiers" LMAO...weeps....

^ Is it a thing for designers worth their salt to not want to do couture? :wink:
You know what? Very good question…
Even more considering the fact that someone like Nicolas has in fact always done Haute Couture. The standards of quality and research he has set for himself in his RTW are Couture. Those now legendary Balenciaga collections were done in-house, even the weirdest Vuitton things are done with a Couture approach…

‘It can be possible that he may not want to do Couture.

But I miss someone of his caliber and energy in Couture. Nobody is challenging Couture today. Couture sells and collections are sellable but there’s no innovation or disruption anymore. What I like about Couture is that it’s the last place in HF where the clothes are still made to fit a lifestyle. So, it’s rather formal and because of it, it can be much more interesting.

‘There’s no Karl or Riccardo anymore. Karl had some silly gimmicks sometimes in Couture like sneakers but it was disruptive and it challenged our perception of Couture. I loved Riccardo at Givenchy but for me some of the highlights of his career was in Couture. He had such a fresh approach to it.

‘Nicolas is a very important designer. And while his Vuitton is highly successful, I don’t feel like he is as recognized for his greatness as he should. Couture will give him this status of Grand Couturier. Because I think he is. In France it matters still…

And as I said many times, there’s no gatekeepers, no figure of authority at the helm of major fashion house. And it shows…

^ He did do really beautiful work at Balenciaga. How things have changed ... I hope in the future there will be a period of sanity from which people can look back on where we are now with curiosity and horror.

I loved his work at Balenciaga but I’m still interested in what he is doing now…
I’m not a nostalgic. Nothing will ever be like the past…
I mean even if we look at his collections ah Vuitton, What he is doing now in terms of fashion proposition is very different from what he did in the beginning and to what he did 5 years ago. It’s good to have someone who can kind of surprise us still…

You know what? Very good question…
Even more considering the fact that someone like Nicolas has in fact always done Haute Couture. The standards of quality and research he has set for himself in his RTW are Couture. Those now legendary Balenciaga collections were done in-house, even the weirdest Vuitton things are done with a Couture approach…

‘It can be possible that he may not want to do Couture.

But I miss someone of his caliber and energy in Couture. Nobody is challenging Couture today. Couture sells and collections are sellable but there’s no innovation or disruption anymore. What I like about Couture is that it’s the last place in HF where the clothes are still made to fit a lifestyle. So, it’s rather formal and because of it, it can be much more interesting.

‘There’s no Karl or Riccardo anymore. Karl had some silly gimmicks sometimes in Couture like sneakers but it was disruptive and it challenged our perception of Couture. I loved Riccardo at Givenchy but for me some of the highlights of his career was in Couture. He had such a fresh approach to it.

‘Nicolas is a very important designer. And while his Vuitton is highly successful, I don’t feel like he is as recognized for his greatness as he should. Couture will give him this status of Grand Couturier. Because I think he is. In France it matters still…

And as I said many times, there’s no gatekeepers, no figure of authority at the helm of major fashion house. And it shows…

Gatekeepers are lynched as elitists/racists/misogynists blah blah blah by the commoners that have overrun the industry as an excuse for their lesser “talents”. These people only ever invest the effort into their hustle for fame and fortune these days, to dress and be GBF with the latest celeb— but they don’t bother investing the blood/sweat/tears with their design.

Interesting observation about Nicolas. I’ve mentioned this before of him and MAS: that there seem to almost be this passive-aggressive frustration he’s expressing through Vuitton with many of the trolling designs and with her even more trolling styling. They’re both better than these offerings that resembles circus costumes, but they’re punking the consumer and media because the brand is so ludicrously critic-proof. What working journalist is going to openly criticize LVMH? And when even girls working at Panda Express, or stealing from their employer, to own a monogram tote, it’s a brand that’s long transcended the realm of the elite and stylish, and securely nestled into pop culture. I have the same repulsion entering a Vuitton store as I do an Apple or Starbucks these days: That’s the level of pop culture Vuitton is at right now. And Nicolas is too good for this, frankly. He’s a fantastic and even shrewd business-oriented designer who knows how to excite the masses as well as the elite; HIs doll collection was sublime— then the recent mermaid-costumes were the stuff of Cirque du Soleil corniness. To see him designing again on the level of his Balenciaga days (but not Balenciaga aesthetic because that would be just absolutely pointless), free of any logos/monograms: Just to imagine him with a logo/monogram-free Chanel…(…and free of MAS…)

Gatekeepers are lynched as elitists/racists/misogynists blah blah blah by the commoners that have overrun the industry as an excuse for their lesser “talents”. These people only ever invest the effort into their hustle for fame and fortune these days, to dress and be GBF with the latest celeb— but they don’t bother investing the blood/sweat/tears with their design.

Interesting observation about Nicolas. I’ve mentioned this before of him and MAS: that there seem to almost be this passive-aggressive frustration he’s expressing through Vuitton with many of the trolling designs and with her even more trolling styling. They’re both better than these offerings that resembles circus costumes, but they’re punking the consumer and media because the brand is so ludicrously critic-proof. What working journalist is going to openly criticize LVMH? And when even girls working at Panda Express, or stealing from their employer, to own a monogram tote, it’s a brand that’s long transcended the realm of the elite and stylish, and securely nestled into pop culture. I have the same repulsion entering a Vuitton store as I do an Apple or Starbucks these days: That’s the level of pop culture Vuitton is at right now. And Nicolas is too good for this, frankly. He’s a fantastic and even shrewd business-oriented designer who knows how to excite the masses as well as the elite; HIs doll collection was sublime— then the recent mermaid-costumes were the stuff of Cirque du Soleil corniness. To see him designing again on the level of his Balenciaga days (but not Balenciaga aesthetic because that would be just absolutely pointless), free of any logos/monograms: Just to imagine him with a logo/monogram-free Chanel…(…and free of MAS…)
A logo-free Chanel? You can only dream ( but tacky printed cc on denim will not be done by him)..
MAS free? You can only dream too… Lol. You know what, I love their collaboration. Sometimes it’s ridiculous but I like that they are challenging each other.

We saw the Carine/Tom collab and how short it was. She never pushed him and she used the same tricks from 20 years ago.

^^^ Admittedly, Karl’s Chanel always did incorporated the logo so complimentarily, so gorgeously, and always with such a sense of decadence and equal humour, to the design (that VH1 Fashion Awards appearance of the Chanel guitar case is the stuff of unabashed decadence). “Graphic design is my passion” in the truest sense with Karl and the Chanel logo. It wouldn’t be out of place to imagine Nicolas producing the same high standard of logo-design for Chanel-- if his use of logo/monogam is any indication of his graphic design skills. …Virginie on the other hand...

I loved his work at Balenciaga but I’m still interested in what he is doing now…
I’m not a nostalgic. Nothing will ever be like the past…
I mean even if we look at his collections ah Vuitton, What he is doing now in terms of fashion proposition is very different from what he did in the beginning and to what he did 5 years ago. It’s good to have someone who can kind of surprise us still…

I must admit I'm not following his work now closely, but I was thinking about the contrast between his work for Balenciaga and what's happening there now. Not only is the design work in a completely different league, but the advertising scandal has a cloud over the whole house ... I think Nicolas was a worthy successor to Balenciaga, but Demna ... it seems they have nothing but gimmicks to offer on every front. I'm weary of hype, influencers, likes, and follows, and I'm hoping that is what we'll move past--and not just fashion. The truly talented in fashion seem to be keeping their heads down right now. I hope the pendulum is going to swing.

^^^ Admittedly, Karl’s Chanel always did incorporated the logo so complimentarily, so gorgeously, and always with such a sense of decadence and equal humour, to the design (that VH1 Fashion Awards appearance of the Chanel guitar case is the stuff of unabashed decadence). “Graphic design is my passion” in the truest sense with Karl and the Chanel logo. It wouldn’t be out of place to imagine Nicolas producing the same high standard of logo-design for Chanel-- if his use of logo/monogam is any indication of his graphic design skills. …Virginie on the other hand...

Virginie has been such a disappointment for me…Even if I love her latest Act 1 collection…
It’s weird because for years she was someone you saw in Paris, around Karl and she had a great style. I never liked the way Amanda dressed but Virginie was always well dressed because she had a more casual approach for Chanel obviously and because it wasn’t that logo heavy. AND she wore Balenciaga by NG! So in my head we were part of the same clique…

For me, the testament to the talent of a designer is if the work stand the test of time. My Chanel or even Fendi pieces by Karl stand the test of time. I still got my favorite shoes from FW2007, one of my favorite dress from FW2008. I got married in a Paris Bombay dress that I bought prior my marriage…
When I see the work of the lady, I wonder what’s the legacy. It does not have a cultural or creative impact. Even in the micro world of fashion, it’s not influential.

It’s hard to appreciate or recognize that kind of work. It’s like Dior by MG or Kim Jones. It probably sells more than anybody before but people will always remember the first Couture from Raf. Dior Homme won’t escape the legacy of Hedi…

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->